Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saturday with Katie Hannon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Honestly listening to Smith. Who seems to think a housing emergency declaration suspends the Constitution. There are no quick fixes building lots of council houses is the only game in town and it isn't quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hopefully Hannon’s shows…the Late Debate and the Saturday one will improve its balance now that she’s gone.

Her gameplan was straight out of the VB songbook- haul up some lowly MOS or TD of the ruling parties and then

line up three hardliners plus herself against them.

Will be looking carefully at the set design of the new ‘show’ …hmmmmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

She seemed to be able to pack her radio shows with PBP representatives that shared the same Trotskyist ideology she does. She got away it on fairly niche shows. She will have less editorial control over a flagship TV show. She will have to be more balanced.

Looking forward to seeing who gets the Saturday slot. Sean O'Rourke was rumoured before golfgate and they had to give it to Katie in a rush. His chance is probably gone. Philip Boucher Hayes always did a good job when he covered for Katie. He gave everyone an equal say and an equal grilling. If he got it you could see the government parties start to send better representatives. Back when Claire had it you usually had a cabinet minister and panels were balanced rather than the 3 trots (Usually Katie, Brid Smith and someone from SF) shouting at some unknown FFG junior minister or even a backbencher or senator for an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

More than any RTE presenter , I think Hannon does the least to hide her leftist politics

I believe Colm O Mongáin former Deppity foreign editor has that gig now…….. plus the Late Debate.

Hasn't been heard on the airwaves for some time…. Hmmm.

Interesting selection. Don't know much about him but he always seems fair and balanced in his reporting. At least the Trotskyist Sisterhood has been broken up and hopefully Brid Spite and Louise O'Really won't be trying to continue co-hosting with him in the chair.

Indeed….hopefully O’Mongáin will steer away from what I call ‘the VB bloodline’ and balances the panel more fairly.

This crack of the presenter and three ‘panellists’ who, y and large,never implemented anything,by the way, lined up against the govt rep surely has seen it’s day I feel.

Hopefully common sense will prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Turned on The Late Debate there tonight and was delighted to hear Colm O Mongain. He's a breath of fresh air compared to the rubbish that was presented heretofore - current affairs for adults. About time RTE gave this show and Saturday to serious presenters with balanced panels.

Cathy Hannon wasn't very bright (imo) and indulged Smith/O Reilly outrageously. Already O Mongain impresses.

Yes, she seemed way too interested in getting her own kicks in than getting the reportage to the listener..

Nothing personal about the lass, but that seemed to be a major fault, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Danye

I’d say this show and it’s ilk, are grateful for who they can attract as guests more than anything.

I’m sure they’d love to have senior ministers on every night but they can’t get them.

Yes they would, however the hark back to the days when they were lined up in an unfair way by certain ‘commentators’ and in fairness may have said ‘Aaah fuhhrke this, not going to set up as a cockshot by a bunch of non achievers and a biased ‘presenter’

They were dead right.

As long as it was a party political broadcast on behalf of the Trotskyist Sisterhood it was never going to attract any serious heavy weights from the government. I was impressed with the balance in Late Debate this week. The best thing the Saturday show can do now is ban Brid Spite and Louise O'Really, allocate seats evenly say two per week from the government, two from the whole opposition (not just PBP and SF) and one independent journalist to join an independent presenter. Now you have a good strong show just as we did 5 or 6 years ago before Katie hoisted the red flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Danye

Apologies, but I don’t get your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Well, lads, how’s it looking?

Have we got a couple of government powerhouses “rounding” on some weak leftie do-gooder? The right kind of balance, no?

Or are you still getting scared off by the trots under the cots?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

fair play to mary butler, the poor womans really not the person for her job

• Advertisement

Hmmmm…In fairness much more order in the show now.

Colm is a little hesitant in some situations but should smooth things out as the show goes on.

It appears (to me anyway) that there is a definite attempt to cut out the utter chaos that existed in Hannon’s time

with people talking o over each other and Hannon trying to give as much kicks as she could to back up the usual trotters.

Colm much more impersonal and a proper ‘neutral’ stance as one might expect.

It was balanced and fair. Still no heavyweights but we had a government minister, an independent TD and a labour TD. And a host who gave them all an equal grilling and equal respect.

Overall it was far better with the Trotskyist Sisterhood now gone. Of course some diehard leftists won't like it because the opportunity to scream lies and propaganda unopposed at some low ranked government representative is now gone.

Some way to go to bring it back to being the top class show of 3 or 4 years ago. But definitely a good start.

Yes, I’d agree with that assessment, sums things up fairly.

When Colm gets his legs properly under the table the cavalcade of trotters might not be so anxious to ‘appear’.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

"Longford is an incredibly diverse and welcoming and vibrant place".... Well go and damn well live there so and while your at it bring the rest of the virtuous but not in my back garden shower with you, the politicos, the ngo's with the automatic gates on yere mansions and most of the so called media and start up a colony for yerselves see how ye get on... Go on then if Longford is such a brilliant place I'd imagine that shower would be queuing up to live there , leave the rest of us alone to live in the real world where the effects of yere policies can be seen every single day, its like having a country run by hormonal teenagers

• Advertisement

Ok, what in particular are you “sick to the teeth “ of.

Thats a fairly hard hitting statement, which is understandable .

Feel free to unload!

Sick of the politicians, the so called "journalists", the ngo's, the lobbyists, the charities, the virue signalling "celebrities" preaching morn noon and night to us that it's our duty as a country to take in every waif, stray or anyone who has a grievance against their government or whatever and grant them "protection" even printing come-all-ye notices on line in many languages, so they come and then the powers that be and the rest of the shysters shout "oh look we have an accommodation crisis,how did that happen, what can we do?"... Any conversation on immigration in the msm is a one way street, a childish pointing to "far right" and "sinister elements" and calls for more curbs to be put on discourse by the usual shower... Slow learner's in this country

That’s fair enough, I can see where you are coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Current affairs shows are a moan fest -full.of faux anger.

I never hear any issues debated

Certainly under Hannon you didn’t .

Nothing but Trotterfests, in my opinion.

Seems to be little change since O’Mongain has taken over.

The same lot Bríd Smith, Verona Murphy et al…..these two have as much airtime as some RTE presenters.

Same auld rhetoric day after day, week after week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

And still you tune in, and post the same moany rhetoric, week after week.

You must feel right at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yeah, I reckon they and one or two others have their camper vans or tents pitched in the RTE carpark.

It started promisingly. Fairly neutral and balanced. But recently it has moved back to being an hour long party political broadcast for People before Profit.

• Advertisement

I thought, wrongly, that the format might improve with the new presenter..

Did I post anything that was not factual?

What’s the story with O’Mongáin?

Missing from the Late Debate(Lenihan in) and the Saturday prog.(Derval McD in)

Anyone?

Does Bríd Smith find everything outrageous and unacceptable? Must be a tiresome auld life waking up like that all the time. There’s something a touch radical preacher about the far-left.

Very simple Dr. her m.o. is quite predictable, whatever the govt. offer (our money) she wants more.

No matter what ,it’s not enough, you’ll hear expressions like ‘ missed opportunity’’lack of ambition’ ‘not in touch’ and other crud like that which of course resonates with her following.

She scraped in on SF transfers last time.

could the mods change the title to Saturday with Colm O’ Mongain.?

Was impressed with O’Mongain today 24 Jun, handled the Tubridy debacle very well.

Asked the hard questions today,and didn’t hold back.

In my opinion, only one way RTE can get out of this with any hope of recovery is.

Full discovery and reform of the pay systems for the top stars

Full discovery of all salaries in RTE as that is the only way one can evaluate pay relativty with other outlets.

Heads must roll for those involved in this murky stuff.

RTE management need to stand up and be counted in events like this… they have form in this respect.

Birthdaygate.

Day of promises is over, only action means anything at this stage.

They need to take on the top earners as they obviously will get no real support from the majority of the staff.

The day of the cosy deal is gone and the taxpayer will be watching carefully.

This can’t be brushed under the carpet, the govt were never in a better position to sort this lot out.

Can they take the opportunity??

"That's it now till September" says Colm, a grand little country but not a serious one by any means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭amlinopta

A grand country is right. Drivetime cutting back by 30 mins on Monday as well, Rattlebag starts at 6.30. Brendan O’Connor off again this week and Katie Hannon has disappeared since the TV program finished. It’s like a holiday camp

And then there's the Dail for the few months they're there don't sit on a Monday, the country must be too big or something, no Taoiseach on a Thursday, a relic from Berties time, the rest of the time is filled with waffle and readin prepared notes like illiterates, and fake sparring accross the chamber till the bell rings, no proper robust argument or exchange on what concerns and affects the citizens from day to day... The older I get the more I regognise the whole thing as a bit of a charade.. And they say we are going to get more TDs because we need more representation 😊

And this lot want more taxpayers money to produce more public service broadcasting !!

Absolutely no way they should be given more…..based on the contempt they treat the public with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Katie Hannon is on for Joe on de Liveline I believe.

I hope they won't forget to tell Eoin O'Broin to go home also, he seems to live in Montrose lately, along with Bríd & Verona.

No one from People Before Profit or Sinn Fein available to come on the panel.

The topic. Toxic rethoric in Irish politics.

Funny that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Eoin Ó Broin gets more pompous every time he’s heard on the radio. Rolling his words, speaking very slowly so the great unwashed at home can understand his message, patronising to other guests. You’d know he went to Blackrock College.

Managed about 2 minutes of his haughtiness and then turned over to Off the Ball.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Talking over each other for almost a minute and the host won't intervene, painful listening

KT doesn’t like interrupting those in opposition.

Likes to get a cut in herself,too.

Anyone who deliberately wears those stupid glasses in a nod to his hero's in the soviet death camp bureaucracy shouldn't be taken seriously and certainly should never be left near the levers of power as we are about to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

It’s Colm O’Mongain now and he took no guff from that crusty, Smith on todays show.

She only got in on SF transfers last time, luckily she is “bowing out” soon and won’t be wasting taxpayers moolah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

She's a total hypocrite. According to her, the Israeli army killing civilians is "genocide" but the Hamas massacre of 1,400 civilians is just "wrong"

She says there isn't enough 'evidence' to condemn Hamas in stronger terms. What a pathetic individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Mary Regan was presenting last week not Katie , Colm has been the main presenter for nearly a year ....

Thread title needs to be updated

Mick Barry on today calling for the state to nationalise residential properties owned by businesses.

Thin end of the wedge. Once you start to nationalise homes that ends with the nationalisation of the entire housing stock and the government assigning living accomodation to people based on need rather that ownership.

We're fucked as a nation if PBP end up on a coalition with Sinn Fein after the next election. They want to return us to the glory days of 1980s Leningrad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement