Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Beginners [ask your questions here]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭con747

The sun will be lower in the sky in winter so wouldn't generate the same peak power as in summer. Also depends on the angle of your panels. Panels perform better in cooler conditions as well.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Angle of the roof or orientation?

Thanks by the way

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

Max I saw today was 1.9kwh being generated from 4kwp south east, 3 kwp north west. That was around 1145 in clear sunshine. Similar conditions in summer I'd see 5kwh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Thank, I'm seeing something similar

I've 4.3kwh S, maybe SSE and got 2.14 peak earlier today. I very briefly saw 2.5kwh yesterday.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement

Folks I've ordered one of these electric towels rads for the bathroom.

I intend to have an electrician wire it back to tank 2 output on the Eddi. Is there anything more to it? Wire straight from towel rail to Eddi?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭ratracer

I’ve been searching around for a few days now and can’t find an answer, so I’m hoping someone on here can help me out;

Is there an ideal charging current that I should use for my WECO 5.3kW battery? It’s at the default setting on the inverter of 50A, should I leave it at that? Are there optimum charge currents at different ambient temps?

Charging it from 02.00-04.00 EI boost time.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

50A means you can charge it with 50A * 50V = 2.5kW

You have a 2 hour slot, so in 2 hours at these settings, you can get 2 hours * 2.5kW = 5kWh into the batttery. In other words, charge from empty to full. Which is all you want, so leave those settings alone 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭ratracer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Hi All

In the process of getting quotes for Solar. I can just squeeze 10 panels on the roof. The quotes are for 400 panels. They offer to upgrade to Jinko 430 panels for €50 a panel. Is it worth the outlay for the extra power?

Thanks

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

So 500 extra for an extra 300w?

Only you can call that.

As you don't have any more space.. it's about 250 kWh extra per year. If exported.. it's about 50 euro more if you count it as FIT

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭10-10-20

There is no residential type of panel which has a difference of 50 EUR between 400w and 430w that I can see. Most 430w panels are priced around 120 EUR each (ex VAT). Sounds to me like they bought a large batch of 400w panels at a good price and that's their preferred unit to use. It's always worth going for the extra generating capacity, except when it's it's a 10% gain for 40% of the base panel price...

Thanks both. So probably not worth it in that case. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Negotiate! If they can do it for €15-€20 per panel extra, might be worth your while. Be careful what you do though as your pay back period will increase if you pay more per watt. And for reference, a 430W panel at trade prices is about €80-90 + VAT, so make sure not to get ripped-off here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Comer1

I have the Fusionsolar app to monitor the system. In the screen capture below, I thought that the 9.99kWh shown below was what the panels produced today but that number has started going down as the evening progress. Its down to 9.84 now with "Consumed" down to 3.42 kWh. I don't understand what's goin on 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'd guess that it's a rolling 24-hour period rather than a day starting at 00:00, could that be it? The graph at the bottom certainly is rolling, maybe they made the statistics do the same too. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

The electrician has terminated the CAT 6 in the utility in what looks like some sort of junction box. The shed which contains the inverter is 8 metres from the utility with 110mm underground wavin pipe connecting the two.

Is it possible to run a CAT 6 cable from this junction box? Ideally I'd like the inverter to be wired to the CAT 6 as the WiFi is struggling to reach it at present. I have a WiFi extender but even that isn't great.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

I hear people talking about having their solar commissioned after the install. What does this involve? Not sure if my installers did this.

• Advertisement

it usually just means setting you up on the inverters app/cloud software.. so you can see generation on their portal etc.. depends your hardware whats involved

Photo?

What's on the other end of the cable?

Inverters don't normally come with an ethernet connection. Usually WiFi.

But there is nothing to stop you from getting another WiFi access point and putting it in the garage.

WiFi extenders should be in the bin. 😂 Have multiple access points hardwired together.

As a side note. I'd highly recommend now getting your own WiFi access point and don't use the trash that the broadband provides.

You may still need to use their box to connect for handiness. But you just plug your network into that box. Turn the WiFi off. Makes switching super easy. New supplier, swap out boxes and away you go. No changing WiFi codes or anything.

You could even run the DHCP(IP allocation) on your own box so if running anything that you want an fixed IP for you have even less configuration to do.

Thank you. Yes, they did that. It sounded to me like some kind of calibration procedure. Glad to be wrong.

Well if you have batteries the commission process may involve an automatic calibration where the battery is dumped to the house/grid and fully charged up again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭MacDanger

As a side note. I'd highly recommend now getting your own WiFi access point and don't use the trash that the broadband provides.

Any box in particular you'd recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Thanks Graeme. I'm in the UK at the moment but when back at the weekend will send a photo.

Broadband is provided by starlink. I'll have a look at WiFi access points 👍

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

That I can't help with. Last one I bought was about 8 yrs ago now. I expect it to just keep trucking on. As for new stuff, I'm too out of the loop. I'm into tech and I've given up on trying to follow the WiFi 6 or 7 or whatever I he new one is. USB versioning is just as bad.

Doesn't even have to be a specific access point, even WiFi routers can be reconfigured to be just access points. (Set a fixed IP, turn DHCP off, etc)

Have heard good things about ubiquity but don't have any hands on experience with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Would anyone have any knowledge or comment on Jolywood panels and a Suzhou Hypontech inverter? I realise most solar equipment is made in China but up until now most solar companies who have quoted me were going with Jinko panels and a Solis inverter. Im guessing because they are tested and reliable brands. So just a bit unsure if Jolywood and Suzhou Hypontech are a known quantity, where they sit in the market and if an installation company might select them because they are cheaper than Jinko & Solis.

Also is it the case that your inverter has a life cycle of about 15 years and then needs to be replaced? Thought I read that somewhere a few weeks back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'd suggest a mesh system, you have a main unit and some sub units throughout the house, with access points there are dark spots. I went with Google mesh, yes it was expensive but since day 1 it has been perfect with strong wifi from the street through to back garden with no drop outs and easy to setup via the Google app

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

I've a hyontech inverter. Bought from midsummer so I guess its not complete shite.

Nice build quality & does what its supposed to do .App etc all works as it should. I don't have much hands on experience with other inverters so take what you will from that.

TP link deco is what I use for a mesh

Advertisement