Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I did marry her, many years later. Getting married in a legal context is not a simple or free thing, nor should it be entered into lightly.

My point was of course facetious and a dig at those implying unmarried parents are not a family, the suggestion of course being preposterous. Those obligations still applied to me. There are plenty of married parents where apparently it doesn't.

It's that same twisted logic which scarred generations of women for being pregnant out of wedlock but men who were part of the process rarely received any such degradation by others in the community.

Sadly there are still some who have this mindset and it saddens me but it is what it is, those people thankfully are not in my head and I'm happy to keep it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This referendum has zero to do with trans people.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It's not a new agenda. Women opposed it's insertion in the constitution in the 1930s

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

"I think the real reason is to alleviate women's guilt who chose to work full time and become part time mothers"

Do you also also class fathers who work full time as "part-time fathers" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

It’s shocking how some people still see working mothers out working to pay the bills as a form of selfishness, rather than out of necessity.

If they feel guilty, it’s because of the attitude of the OP trying to inflict guilt on them for wanting to give their kids a roof over their head, and dare I say, a good role model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s not marriage that’s the barrier to equality, it’s how the Family is defined in Irish law is the barrier to unmarried couples relationship to each other being recognised in law as being equal to that of couples whose relationship to each other is defined by marriage. The outcome of the referendum either way is unlikely to change how the Courts assess those relationships, in law they still won’t be equal to marriage if the referendum passes.

It’s for this reason the part which refers to carers within the family is being seen as Government fumbling an opportunity to recognise the value of care, provided by those within the family, and the wider community. They are not regarded as being of equal value either, which is a bit of a sticking point for carers who aren’t family members in that it doesn’t address any of the concerns they have about the provision of care. There are plans in the works for family members providing long term care which is basically the same thing as what is being suggested by the referendum -

Social Protection Minister Heather Humphreys is bringing forward legislation to provide pensions for long-term carers when they retire.

"This particularly applies to mothers who have looked after children with severe disabilities — they found themselves that they had to give up work. Now we're going to make provision so that they will get a pension when they retire," Ms Humphreys said.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-41273368.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭suvigirl

The courts are bound by The definition of family, that has been shown over many court cases to be based on the institution of marriage, because of the constitution.

Once the constitution is changed, courts can recognise other families other then those based on marriage.

The Courts do that already though, in accordance with existing legislation regarding cohabitating couples for example, even down to recognising that a cohabiting relationship can continue to be intimate even if it’s not sexual (sounds a lot like a marriage 😂), but in practice there doesn’t appear to be any meaningful change proposed which would actually equate married and unmarried relationships.

It’s a token acknowledgment that durable relationships exist, which hardly needed a referendum for anyone to be made aware of that fact - it doesn’t mean those relationships will be assessed by the Courts in the same manner. What laws apply will still be dependent upon the circumstances in each case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭suvigirl

No. The courts hands have been tied by the constitution definition of family being based on marriage.

They cannot find any other type of family other then one based on marriage.

The Supreme court have indicated that they are willing to include other types of family, once permitted by a change in the constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

has there been anything on this on the current affairs programmes this week (debates or legal scholars / ex judges talking about it)? havent been watching anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Marriage is access to 'equality'. It gives a structure that protects the interests of women, men & children. Some people, men often don't like marriage as it would put the 'shackles' on them, take on commitment they don't want to give etc etc. Well that's not a good excuse and marriage has served society for centuries to legalise these matters.

I think some now associate marriage with the church/ religion and all that goes with that. That's all fluff of course - the real legal substance of marriage and why it's worth supporting as it is, is in the civil registration. Many including ourselves eschew the religious stuff and get married in a civil ceremony.

Society would do well to support marriage and encourage it by showing clear advantages to marriage.

No I get that much, I’m just wondering what does it actually change that doesn’t already exist in legislation? I get that a referendum was required to put it in there, but what function does it serve? When it passes it means that the State recognises the interdependence in relationships between family members, and then if the second proposal is also passed, it means the State supports family members in the provision of care based upon recognition of the relationship between them. It was supposed to be doing that since the founding of the State anyway.

The glaring omission is the aspect of support for care in the wider community, but I didn’t think it was that uncommon for people who are not family members providing care, for that care not to be recognised by the State either, in the same manner as they never acknowledged the care provided by women working in the home - the provision they’re proposing be removed that was also only ever a token nod to their economic and social contribution to Irish society in the first place. That would’ve been a game-changer - recognising the contribution of non-related individuals providing care in the community, like my neighbour who was my primary caregiver, who raised me as though I was her own family.

Another odd aspect of this upcoming referendum is that it's proposed to be held on International Womens Day. That will surely be singled out as a very cynical ploy by the government and by womens groups supportive of the existing constitution.

Article 41.2 which includes the text that 'by her life within the home, woman gives to the State a support without which the common good cannot be achieved' is hardly controversial. It's a positive statement that recognises all women - whether they work full time, part time, stay at home mothers etc and their valuable contribution to society.

Removing that on International Womens Day seems pretty silly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Society doesn't need to support marriage. It's something that people want so it will continue.

People doing it to get access to tax incentives is what weakens and cheapens it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

womens groups supportive of the existing constitution.

loads of these about are there?

I realise that when you're in your 70s, accepting that times have changed is difficult.

Some people will always want to get married and good luck to them. Some people think a marriage certificate is just a piece of paper.

Nobody should ever have to get married to be considered a family in the eyes of the law, or their family have any less protection under the law due to being unmarried. Or being single, for that matter. Indeed, marital status is one of the nine grounds of discrimination.

Nor should anyone have to stay married. Many families are now blended.

I'm a woman, and a mother, and I have been a carer, and I don't feel any need to be singled out by my gender in the Constitution for recognition of my valuable contribution to society. It's completely out-dated.

Everyone who is raising children, or who takes on a carer role, should be recognised for their valuable contribution to society, irrespective of their gender. That is what equality is, and is what this referendum is about.

I'll be voting yes, as will my adult daughter.

Gender equality also has nothing to do with gender identity, and nothing to do with this Referendum.

Everyone who is raising children, or who takes on a carer role, should be recognised for their valuable contribution to society, irrespective of their gender. That is what equality is, and is what this referendum is about.

It’s not though, what you’ve pointed out there is precisely what the Citizens Assembly recommended, that is not being proposed as part of either referendum. That’s what’s caused so much frustration from people who wanted it included -

In March of this year, the government announced a historic referendum to amend our constitution in line with the recommendations of the Citizens’ Assembly on Gender Equality. It was recommended to remove the limits on women’s role, to value and recognise care in the home and the wider community; and to protect all families equally. We believe this referendum represents a unique opportunity to ensure our constitution respects and reflects the diversity of the people and families of Ireland today.

https://www.nwci.ie/learn/article/open_letter_to_an_taoiseach_leo_varadkar

EDIT: Their statement following the publication of the proposed wording of the referendums:

https://www.nwci.ie/news/article/NWC_welcomes_referendum_on_family_care_women_in_the_home

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

there appears to be an attempt to gloss over the fact that successive Governments have done little to raise the status of women in Irish society in any meaningful way, neither through Constitutional or Legislative reforms.

Well that's not really true

Divorce referendum allowed women economic freedom and the right to remarry

Repeal the 8th gave women the autonomy to make choices in relation to their own bodies

Lots of archaic legislation in relation to women such as the marriage bar and allowing marital rape has been resolved

Political Gender quotas are increasing the number of elected women

Even the point you made earlier about child benefit going from men to women was a part of raising the status of women. Many women upto that point had zero personal income as their husband controlled all the household finances.

There has also been a wide range of policy and legislative reforms since the 1970s when the Commission on the status of women was first established

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

As a married man I have to call this into question.

Responsibilties towards children are not conditional on marriage, and rightly so. Increasingly, responsibilities towards a financially dependent partner are not conditional on marriage either, also rightly so.

Marriage is important, it's a commitment in front of one's peers, in front of society in general, and in legal terms, but it's certainly not the only way to form a family and families formed outside of marriage deserve recogniion, respect, and legal protection.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

There is another side to that though where it didn't give Equality at all and created a patriarchal institution of ownership; lets not forget in the old traditions of marriage men were allowed to rape their wives, men took all the child benefit and could leave their wives with zero income, men expected their wives to do all housework and child rearing even when they worked outside the home. And do not forgot either that before the succession act of 1965 widows could be turfed out onto the street! Let's not delude ourselves into pretending that marriage has always been access to equality for women when it has often been the complete opposite; often leaving them financially abused, physicsally abused, in poverty and destitute

Terry Pratchet

Well that's not really true

It is though, that’s why it’s particularly nauseating to hear Leo and Roderic come out with meaningless platitudes about a woman’s place in society is where she chooses to be. I don’t know of any women who choose a status of living in poverty, a status not of their own choosing, but a consequence of successive Government policies. The conclusions and recommendations of this report from 2019 are worth reading:

https://www.svp.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Working,%20Parenting%20and%20Struggling-Full%20Report_2019.pdf

Terry Pratchet

And yet you just glossed over examples of Constitutional and legislative reforms that I gave

Terry Pratchet

I think two things are being conflated. On the one hand we have the concept of family in a variety of forms acceptable or otherwise to the participants. Then we have marriage, forget the religious bit, I'm talking about marriage in the legal sense. And marriage (legal sense) is surely the ideal as it is clear, well understood and offers protections financial and otherwise to all parties - parents and any children whether natural or adopted. What this amendment proposes to do is to create equal standing between marriage and other durable arrangements. So the question that should be addressed is what these other durable arrangements are and what protections likewise do they offer to parents and any children whether natural or adopted. If they don't offer similar protections, then they shouldn't be equated in the constitution.

"I'm a woman, and a mother, and I have been a carer, and I don't feel any need to be singled out by my gender in the Constitution for recognition of my valuable contribution to society."

Well that's grand for you but I believe there are a great many women out there who would read the present article in their many and varied life roles and see nothing wrong with it. Many would see that it's nice to be recognised, appreciated and given special mention in the constitution.

Maybe there are some men who would resent it as it does nothing for men, but any sensible man and father would have no difficulty in giving extra credit where it's due.

You seem to be confused though because you talk about marriage being a centuries old tradition earlier on and then you are talking about marriage offering financial protections. That actually isn't really true though when you think of historically in Ireland. The marriage bar for women working certainly didn't offer financial protections to the woman. The giving the husband the child benefit didn't offer financial protections to the woman or child. The ability of families to turf out their widowed mothers on the streets pre 1965 didn't offer financial protections.

You appear to have this idealised notion of marriage that it has always protected women for centuries when it has very often done the absolute opposite.

Terry Pratchet

Marriage as a means of consolidating arrangements between families has been around for centuries. As regards the current proposed amendment, we live in the here and now and that is what is important. The issues surrounding marriage bars and other historical legislation related to marriage is irrelevant to the current debate.

There are reasons why partners choose not to marry, start looking at them and the holes they open up. It's never ideal and I would guess a worry for one or other party.

Yes marriage has been for centuries but don't pretend your idealised version of marriage being all about equality has always been the reality of marriage for centuries. Historically marriage in the past was very much really all about protecting land and property and money and not necessarily about protecting people at all. Marriage has also been an institution of patriarchal oppression of women too. It isn't that long ago when Irish men could legally rape their wives.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

The function of the Constitution is not to single out any particular gender for "special mention".

That is what you're not getting, and I doubt you will ever get it.

Advertisement