Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

They're both excellent, albeit I have more experience with tunic, finished it fully, some lovely ingenious outside the box puzzles in it.

Cocoon is great from what I played, I don't know how far into it I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,785 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This timeline showing Rockstar Games releases is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Wow, look at the period between 2003 and 2011. Great games such as GTA games plus Midnight Club, Bully and the epic Red Dead Redemption.

How about another Bully game Rockstar after GTA VI is released?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Timmy Chalet is quite a big name The Game Awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

On in the background whilst I finish off some Lego. Will catch up on the highlights in the morning as it's late now 🫠

Enjoyable so far. New God of War free DLC looks good and a few interesting games have been premiered. As well as a crossover between Dredge and Dave the Diver which could be a bit of fun.

Post edited by Exclamation Marc on

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It's a Christmas set that I bought last year and forgot to build then. So I'm on the clock to do it soon and display it or lose it for another year! 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Started playing Wolfenstein 2, guess I'll be "shootin', stabbing, strangling Nazis" for Christmas 😄

I'm also going to give Halo Infinite MP a retry. Hearing good things about it being back to its Hay days and I didn't pick up COD this year.

Anyone else think Hellblade 2 is so heavily motion pictured that they might as well have done remedy style live action scenes instead?

The cut scene graphics in the trailers are very impressive, bur it's totally spoilt knowing its just real acting with a light gleam of digitization.

I felt the same with Kojima's new thing.

Hyper-realistic facial animation. Yeah, well done, I've only seen that about 20 times now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The more games have tried to ape live action cinematics both in aesthetic and presentation, the more I'm just turned off by the games TBH. Just make movies Kojima, stop reaching for this digital facsimile.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s why Hi-Fi Rush is the IMO most aesthetically successful game of the year, albeit Alan Wake 2 - with its ultra fidelity graphics, path tracing and actual live action cutscenes - is the close runner up. Two totally different approaches to video game art design, but equally thrilling to see in motion. AW2 is the first time in a while I’ve seen cutting edge graphics tech utilised to such imaginative ends, mind you, as opposed to standard AAA spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Picked up Far Cry Pandora Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora. Have only a few hours played, the first hour of which dragged. It's still dragging actually, running around slow as feck, gimme the damn dragon thing already. And every time there's a main story character interaction, you get a black screen, first person view of a custscene you can just about move your head in, another black screen when it's over and then you have control again. Really sticks out and breaks immersion.

Controls are fine, lots of upgrading to do. It is basically a Far Cry set in the Avatar world. Watchtowers are now drill sites, and clearing them will clean up the wildlife and unlock stuff. So far, they've given me a bow, a bomb thrower and an assault rifle. Big emphasis on foraging with a mini game to pull the plant correctly for a Pristine version of it, which means the meals you make have better benefits, etc. Lots of clothes crafting, with more collectibles. I've already been invited to the store.

World is stunning though. And you can have markers completely off, with quest hints giving general directions working off points of interest you can see/route. So probably a great game for those who want to explore a frankly massive map. Like, I ran for 10 minutes and uncovered about 3% of the map. I can see how fun it will be once upgraded more. Story is servicable so far. Will stick with it for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Picked up Far Cry Pandora Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora. Have only a few hours played, the first hour of which dragged. It's still dragging actually, running around slow as feck, gimme the damn dragon thing already. And every time there's a main story character interaction, you get a black screen, first person view of a custscene you can just about move your head in, another black screen when it's over and then you have control again. Really sticks out and breaks immersion.

Controls are fine, lots of upgrading to do. It is basically a Far Cry set in the Avatar world. Watchtowers are now drill sites, and clearing them will clean up the wildlife and unlock stuff. So far, they've given me a bow, a bomb thrower and an assault rifle. Big emphasis on foraging with a mini game to pull the plant correctly for a Pristine version of it, which means the meals you make have better benefits, etc. Lots of clothes crafting, with more collectibles. I've already been invited to the store.

World is stunning though. And you can have markers completely off, with quest hints giving general directions working off points of interest you can see/route. So probably a great game for those who want to explore a frankly massive map. Like, I ran for 10 minutes and uncovered about 3% of the map. I can see how fun it will be once upgraded more. Story is servicable so far. Will stick with it for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

DF say it graphically top tier stuff on PC. And if you turn off the open world signposts, and go into explorer mode, it's a good game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's not impossible to use photorealism in an interesting and creative way, but by all accounts Alan Wake 2 only suggests to be the exception proving the rule. This dogged race for more real than real is getting tiring - and seems even a little Quixotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The landscape, changing weather and wildlife in RDR2 is sublime. If you turn off all the on screen prompts, maps, etc ... it's like wandering around in some beautiful painting. They created a timeless art style in its own believable universe. BOTW and Wind Waker are similar. And GTA6 looks gorgeous too for the same reasons

Amazing. I often get caught up with the technical aspects of games, but they live or die based on art direction and gameplay.

I mean who hasn't watched Avatar and not thought this would make a fantastic video game. Glad to see they have pulled it off. Gotta laugh at the the "turn off oobee-soft" setting though 😀

I bumped into the manager from the Gamestop where I used to go today. It was cool seeing him again.

• Advertisement

It is a sad state of affairs that there is no financially viable business model in video game stores anymore.

I can't understand how it is cheaper to ship a gpu from Germany, including delivery, than it would be to pop down to a.local shop ( if it existed). My last GPU actually came from Poland via amazon.de. it got shipped through Portugal. Absolutely crazy that an Irish store cannot compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Insurance and high street rents make it very hard for retailers. But the main thing was the flip to 80%+ digital purchases. When you lose that volume of your sales it's going to be hard to stay going.

Insurance and rent most definitely has a lot to do with it. Apart from discs, there's also consoles, PC parts and peripherals, pre builds, monitors etc. If you look at the stores selling these (curry's, Harvey Norman) the stock is poor and way way over priced.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Online stores cut out the retail step so can sell at warehouse prices. Also Ireland is quite a small market compared to the whole of Europe of a massive European retailer has less risk than a small Irish retailer carrying more risk. Also doesn't help that most of the component manufacturers lumps Ireland and England together and then send all their stock to the UK where if you are lucky you get charged huge import costs or most likely they don't ship outside the UK.

Always a nice surprise when Jakey shows up on the Youtube feed...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Now that the weather is cold, I find I'm less likely to head upstairs to the PC, and as such have been dipping in and out of Game Pass on the xbox in the living room with the stove, picking games that have been recommended. So far, I've hit the following.

1. Lies of P - absolutely cracking soulslike, highly recommended.
    2. Remnant 2 - not clicking with me yet, might not go back to it.
    3. Coocoon - phenomenal puzzle game, really makes you feel clever when you solve a problem, and has quite subtle audio clues that let you kow when you're on the right track,
    4. Hardspace: Shipbreaker - this is an odd one, Its a game where you're effectively working in a space scrapyard, cutting apart massive spaceships for salvage and sorting stuff into recycling / furnace etc. It sounds like work, but its oddly very calming, you kinda get into a flow state where you're cutting joints, floating stuff off to one side, then its very satisfying to link a huge amount of components together and send them hurtling towards processing. Its got quite a good sense of humor as well, with the whole 'valued slave to the corporation' thing thats going on.

Playing Red Dead Online, I had to take a drunk person on the back of my horse from a bar in Van Horn to another location.

While I was crossing a river, he slipped off the back of my horse and was washed away.

I stated laughing when I saw what happened. He was swept away in an instant which eventually led to a mission failure.

This is what my character looks like in the game:

• Advertisement

Advertisement