Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Manir Libbok has one as well, but i would still pick Jack Crowley ahead of him at 10, and probably Tadgh Beirne as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It's important to compare apples-to-apples though.

The issue is less about the loose. You mentioned yourself two of the key areas: scrum and maul. Add to that goal-line attack, where carriers are usually hit by two forwards, defenders are coming from a metre away, and rucks likewise usually have two men trying to slow the ball down. That's where big locks earn their corn, carrying and cleaning.

And together, those are the three areas where I am less convinced by Edogbo (maul, scrum and goal-line attack). So much so that I was quietly suspecting Wig to move him to 6 earlier in the season, before they moved Ahern.

I caveat all of this with: "he's still 20", and it's still beyond impressive that a lad his age can hang in any department of the professional game.

And he already brings so much in other areas of the pitch.

Kleyn isnt anywhere near the same as a carrier, he doesnt contest the ball at the breakdown, he doesnt win the ball back. He isnt anywhere near the footballer that Beirne is. If Kleyn had played today and not Beirne the result would not have been more positive, in fact the crucial contributions that beirne made would have been absent.

Its fair to say Kleyn is a big improvement on Finnen, or having Kleyn or Edogbo today frees up Beirne to play 6 which might have helped. The underpowered aspect was noticeable all across the pack.

But the first name that goes on the teamsheet is Beirne.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

There’s no way he could play 6 in munster’s system unless they changed that role .

You created a scenario where you could only choose one. I’d definitely choose kleyn for today’s game. Its a counter factual so we have no idea if they would have won but he represents what they were missing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

As a big fan of Coombes I can see why he's behind Doris and Conan in the Ireland stakes. He's an old fashioned no.8, big, strong and powerful but he's not the type of athletic player now needed at international level at that position. He'll likely go down as a Munster legend but just that. Same as Jean Klyen, big and strong but not quite a staring XV at world class level.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm sure they could have moved a few things around, maybe have Coombes staff the wide channels more, give Edogbo more first phase carries, etc.

Keep in mind that I thought this at a time when Ahern, RG and Kleyn were all available (or soon to come back) for the lock positions alongside Beirne.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Strange game that we were proably lucky to escape with a draw …..tbf we were short a lot of what would be regarded front liners and it took from our pack

Crowley for me showed why some of us have doubts still ….failed to control the game and play % …drop kick was way off (not faulting him for the miss but again control and patience …could of waited longer for better position ….Ben Healys absence now with joey also out leaves us very weak at 10

I think i’d ideally have edogbo just mirror kleyn. Play on the bench, last 20/25 minutes and try to replicate his role. Basically be mentored by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I’d have him mirror Snyman over Klein. What got Edogbo into the academy as an 18 year old with zero schools experience was his size, ball carrying and aggressiveness. I don’t think he’s durable enough to be a reliable workhorse but he has the potential to be a game changing athlete. What’s been so encouraging about him this season has been his effectiveness carrying in the tight, which is a stark contrast to his tentative carrying last season. He’s obviously a million miles off Snyman but imo you have to back him to be high impact low volume because I don’t think he has it in him to grunt out 80 minutes 20+ times a year.

• Advertisement

Ahern is way more like Snyman than Edogbo imo. I’d say he is too young to know yet how durable he will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Ya he’ll be 21 this month but he struggles to play 65 minutes which isn’t a great sign if you want a JK like player. On top of that you have a major injury and a consistent profile of smaller knocks over the course of the last two and a half years. Whatever the profile of Ahern I think you have to bank on Edogbo being a high impact player.

I see what you mean. I would say that kleyn is unusually durable and plays unusually high minutes for his player type especially compared to other players like him in france. Edogbo is probably not going to be as durable as kleyn but his impact over even 50/30 minutes per appearance will still be very valuable.

Kleyn has never contributed the carrying that Beirne does, he never contributes the turnovers that Beirne does.

Kleyn is a great rugby player without the ball, Beirne is a great rugby player with the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Still sickened over the result yesterday.

Even Mr Dependable, the human Tractor, Hodnett wasn't his usual self. Saying that, that french pack were all bigger lads, except for Ahern.

Their fans were great craic. The MRSC bar was buzzing.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭mun1

I dont buy this “ we dont have big players so we lost”

We have never had “big” players. DOC, POC, Horan, Flannery, weren’t particulally arge players. Even back then the English and french forwards were huge brutes . The difference was always our hunger and ability to get stuck into them.

our front 5 were bullied for most of the game and we had to commit large number to the breakdown. Bayonne had a bench that was significantly better than ours and that made a difference in the last 10 mins. But we should have been out of sight at that stage.

i thought F Wycherley, Coombes , Murray, Crowley, Scannell and Ryan were particularly bad.

disappointing result , and we have to win next week , but we only know how to do things the hard way

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The travelling Bayonne fans were great fun last night I have to say

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Before the match Kleyn & RGS walked along the touchline, I turned to my mate and said how good would it be to have one of them playing against a big French pack. As the game progressed it was clear we were missing the bulk that they'd have provided.

It's a game we could have won but Bayonne will look at a few errors that cost them a score or too, a draw might well have been a fair result but not a good one for Munster.

It was a great day for Bayonne and their fans, first time in a "Heineken Cup" first away match, first time in Thomond Park and they drew. Bigger& better teams have failed to get a result there. Their fans met Munster fans at Bedford Row and walked to the ground together, they went to the Market yesterday morning and played & sang sings to entertain the crowd. Huge day for them, they'll want to return, which is part of the magic on the H/cup.

The clown in the crowd that tugged the jersey of the Bayonne player needs to have a good long hard look at himself, he'll bring a bad name on rugby fans, Munster fans, Thomond fans. I hope Munster follow up on this and ban him.

You lost this specific game because nash didn’t pass and beirne threw one into touch. Either of those things don’t happen and you probably win.

You do lack power though up front.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

While it felt like a loss at the end, Munster didn't actually lose.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Stop talking sense, you should know better 🤣.

Long season ahead and plenty of lads to come back into the side onwards and upwards hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Missing....

Killer

Barron Scannell

Jager Knox Salanoa

Ed Ed Snyman Kleyn

Pete

True, if munster get fit again for the knockouts then they are a problem.

i do think you lack front row power even in the best team but still could beat anyone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Frustrating result after an excellent start. Couple of themes emerging this season, some that we need to put right quickly like:

• Good starts / 1st halves, followed by poor finishes / second halves. (Hoping this is a fitness thing, like last season where we're aiming to peak later in the season).
    • Scrum and lineout issues.
    • Issues converting in the 22.

Fairly major flaws we need to start correcting. Some other thoughts on that one tho:

• Beirne and Hodnett the best players on the park for me,
    • A notable mention for Iturria tho who is one of the handful of Bayonne players I'd have known prior to kick-off, and was exceptional when he came on.
    • I'd add Nanikivell looking good in parts, Ahern continues to look good at 6, and thought Shay McCarthy had a very tidy game, even regardless of his try. Very willing to get involved at attacking rucks , which is requred by wingers in this system.
    • Was surprised to see some of the criticism of Crowley. Would like to watch it back, but thought he had a really excellent first half. Albeit, much less so in the 2nd.
    • I was all for Murray ahead of Casey towards the end of last season with his form, but I think we should be transitioning to Casey starting the big games now.
    • I think Gavin Coombes is having his poorest spell of form in about 3 years tbh. Really poor effort for the tackle.
    • I think we gifted Bayonne about 80 yards from 2 quick penalties when deep in their territory in the 2nd half. Seem to go some way to getting their backs up. Sloppy.
    • Ben O'Connor had a poor start which you'd forgive a lad of his age, but really grew into the game afterwards, makes it all the more impressive.
    • Bayonne's fans are a credit to their club, absolutely brilliant stuff out of them.

Having said all that, by my reckoning, we were missing 5-6 starters and 10-11 from the starting 23? The back 3 in particular, we're missing Haley, Daly, Zebo, Liam Coombes, Campbell and also Conway with his retirement. And now SOB too.

Fairly bare bones. Hopefully will start seeing some of them returning soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Crowley for me showed he dosnt yet have the ability to play the % and control a game …..no fault for missing the drops goal at end but should of been more patient …even with missing boot gone thru few more phases and tried get closer and better position …..there huge pressure on him now with joey out injured …..we’re threadbare on most crucial position on field

• Advertisement

Butler has looked good in a couple of flashes this season, but ya, it's fair to say we're really reliant on Crowley tbh.

Would like to watch it back tho, cos I genuinely thought he was one of our best players in that first half. He had some really good kicks out of hand for position, threatened the line, and combined it with some late passing and feints.

We certainly could've done with a little more control in the 2nd half tho. Stuff likely that poor executed chip wasn't great.

Advertisement