Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to connect NAS drive to google mesh

Options
  • 08-12-2023 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

Hi at present I have vodafone broadband with a 1) a western digital NAS drive and 2) a google wifi mesh plugged directly into it.

Both the wifi from the voadfone router and the google mesh are active.

The NAS drive has a fixed IP address in the same the samre range as the the voadphone router 192.168.1.etc

The google wifi mesh has a different ip range 192.168.86.etc

When connected to voadfone wifi you cant see the devices connected on google wifi and vice versa so i want to move everything over to the google mesh. ( planning on chanhing from vodafone to digiweb)

Is it possible to plug the NAS drive into the mesh deivce and have it available to the devices on that networks or do NAS devices have to go into router.

current setup

is this possible ?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭dam099

What kind of broadband do you have, FTTH or VDSL? If you have FTTH and don't use phone or TV from your ISP might be possible to eliminate the ISP router altogether and connect Google Wi-Fi Mesh directly to the ONT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Alternatvely, set G mesh in the same IP range as your VF router and disable DHCP(both IPv4 and IPv6) on it. Use high numbers for nodes (192.168.1.250, .251. .252, ...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭dam099

OK if you want to keep the phone then there are a few ways you could do it.

a) Smuggler's method above

b) Plug the Ethernet from the ONT into a cheap 5 port switch and plug both the ISP router and Google Mesh into the switch. You will need to configure the Google Mesh with the PPPoE credentials for your ISP. This worked for me on Vodafone and I have seen others report it works on Eir (I use a different 3rd party router but that shouldn't matter as long as your Google Mesh is up to date enough to do VLAN tagging).

c) Switch off DHCP and WiFi on the ISP router and set the Google Mesh's IP as the DMZ on the ISP Router

Advertisement