Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual electricity cost for your house

• 10-12-2023 11:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭

Every house is different

Ours is a 4 bedroom bungalow on rural day/night rates. We use 9000kwhper yea. Our 12 month cost is currently just under €3000. Average 2 monthly bill €500.

How does that compare against your electricity cost.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Also rural 4 bed. On flat rate. Annual usage is only 4100kwh though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

EV, Heat pump, electric hob/oven?

Using about 5,500kwh a year. The solar knocks about 1,600 off it. Bill usually 200 if there are no credits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭gipi

Urban 3 bed. Use about 3100kwh annually.

Bills about 110 - 130 euro per 2 months

Post edited by gipi on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭ratracer

About 5,000 kWh per year here. Was on rural 24hr tariff. Avg bill approx €300 every two months.

Just installed 8kw Solar with 5kW battery, so hoping to see a good decrease in the bill next year. Still experimenting with it for now and into spring.

Just standard house though, no EV, OFCH, and gas hob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

3/4 bed (one used as my office) urban semi, myself, the wife and one child living here. 3420 units used in the last 12 months. Bills would typically be under the €100 mark (usually substantially so) every two months.

We're far from super energy conscious, fair bit of tumble drier usage during the winter months, tend to leave a lot of devices on standby rather than fully powering them down.....while the appliances and devices in the house would be on the upper end for energy efficiency, and we do tend to spend a lot of time outside the house over the weekends etc, I genuinely don't think I could use 9000kwh p/a if I actively tried.

@Philm_12 are you running any sort of heating off electricity or charging EVs to have that sort of consumption? I'd be looking for someone running a weed farm off my power if I saw those sort of numbers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

Assume you have a pump for water? Any chance there's something up with it and it's running continuously or soemthing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Farmers milking 50 cows would be using just about that rate including rerigerating milk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭kippy

1,500 sq foot 2 storey detached house in village. 2 adults and 3 kids.

2021 5547 Units

2022 4506 Units

2023 4148 Units

A busy house etc, one of us WFH all of 2021 and a bit of 2022 but back in office full time since then - we've also removed a few relatively high use devices from the house (tank heater) and added an air fryer which has reduced the oven heavy usage. On a standard rate with Energia but recently had a smart meter installed.

Looking for a bit of use off the smart meter to see when and how we are using most and may decide to load shift for the heavier stuff (clothes dryer mostly - although we have reduced its use) and may change bills based on that and potentially bring those units beflow 4000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

What are you using to get that level of consumption? We're half that usage and use electric cooker, tumble dryer, immersion heater etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

A lot people seem to use a clothes dryer nowadays rather than a clothes line when the weather suits. Any heat producing item will be heavy on electricity.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

My missus has a remarkable ability to forget there is such a thing as a clothes line, even in the height of summer......grrrrrr! I seem to be the only one capable of hanging the bloody stuff out the back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Using 4700kw per year getting a 3.95kwp solar install in Jan. Should bring it down by a considerable amount.

Electric shower is killing me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Miracles or daydream ?

below 100 ? in two months?!

Any other sources of power you forgot to mention? gov subsidies? ... time just froze for you in 2015 or something?

For those with solar - any of you already for 6+ months installs. Mind to share actual average production data please.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Electricity charges are quite low for me, family of 5 rural bungalow. Got solar in 2 and a half years ago and it has made a big difference even for heating water. Haven’t actually paid anything in 2023 due to a lump sum feed in tariff payment, the bills below have just been changing my level of credit. Have oil heating separately.

Suburban, 3 bed, A rated, Gas heating, electric cooker, 1.5kWp of PV. Work from home.

1700kW from the grid in the past 12 months. Will go up because I've purchased an EV

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭supue

12500kW for me - rural 5 bed. Ev accounted for c6000 kW, bills around €200 per month on day/night meter as I had bord gais at 32/15 and now flogas for 33/15 for the next 7 months. Plan on getting solar next year as have room for a 8/9kW system and should put a dent in that usage

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Outlier here, Large home 17000KW per year.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Four bed suburban semi-detached. A3 rated with solar.

3156 kWh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭Philm_12

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭Philm_12

No EV here. Bit too old to get a return on Solar 🙄 Will be free to switch providers in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I don't know how you keep bills under €100 for 2 months! Are you on a smart plan and do absolutely everything at night?

Suburban 3-bed semi here using 2200kW per year. Bills around the €150-170 mark every two months.

My parents have been using 1200-1400 kW per two month period (8000kW per year) forever, despite not doing anything to warrant such high usage. They recently refused a smart meter installation. But weirdly once their neighbours either side (terraced houses) got new meters, the usage dropped to 650kW for two months. I wonder if a neighbour's usage was somehow being fed on to my parents' meter.

Thanks. Bunch of numbers- great stats. Some unreal numbers too. Is there enough sun in this country to produce this much?

What i was actually looking for, i guess, was - "15 panel system, 5 Ah battery pack, 15k install cost - no more bills!" 😉

No intention to hijack this thread, sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭glen123

I've had solar installed for exactly 1 year now. 12 panels (4.5 kWp system).

In 12 months it generated roughly 4000kw, 3030 of which we consumed and 970 got exported. There is always someone at home to kick off the washing machine or to start cooking when the sun is out or the excess will go into EV. If you are not there during the day to use the produced electricity, it's a bit pointless then.

4 bed rural house with 5 people in it. One working from home.

Annual consumption - 8000kw (2300 - Day (@0.33 cent), 5700 - Night (@0.14 cent) most of which is EV charging). No dryer usage or oven, but 5 people that eat at different times different stuff so any normal family cooking can be multiplied by x 5...air fryer is god sent :)

That is great feedback - thank you. I gather no battery pack. Install €€€ if you dont mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I'm a feckin eejit is how.....Bill is every two months, but my spreadsheet is monthly. Under a hundred is the monthly cost.

I do have a smart plan and run the likes of the dryer, dishwasher etc all at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Damien360

Urban 3 bed semi. Flat rate using 5800kWh per year of electricity.

Advertisement