Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Are you trying to suggest that poster's interest in GAA players ends when there's no games on and they don't notice when players are in national headlines or the news every day? And that any interest outside of that is jealousy? Makes zero sense. People are interested in right and wrong, and the ins and outs of crime, much more than sport.

Whether it's DJ or Rory Gallagher or Darren Gleeson or Kyle Hayes, people take an interest when players or managers or ex-players are in the headlines - sporting related or not. That goes right across the sports whether it's Stan Collymore or Mason Greenwood or Sean O'Brien or a betting scandal, if people follow a sport they'll follow a story in the news about a player.

The reason Limerick posters got heated on here was because they were shown actual evidence from court reports. They only bias is from Limerick supporters supporting their player on a Limerick thread which can only be expected and is fair enough. But to say that people's only interest is related to having a dig is petty. The fact that you relate the issue of a court case to a four in a row is petty. They're completely separate. How can what one individual player does in his spare time be related to Limerick hurling and its years of success? This is about the individual. But because you're only relation to the team is as a fan, you can't separate those two things. But they're not related. It's a well-worn squad circling of the wagons thing that most fans and teams use but it has no basis in reality - only in a squad setting. Good news for Limerick is, it usually works. But it's not logic for a court or the real world. When that logic is used in the real world, it usually leads to trouble. Plenty of instances of that throughout the sporting world.

Your last sentence sums your argument up - it's all about your own personal joy and protecting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Interesting posts in relation to 2024 and the Limerick starting 15. For me there's one or 2 positions up for grabs only.

I might be lambasted for saying it but I think current All Star wing forward Tom Morrissey's legs might be gone and he might just have his best years behind him. He was outstanding in Munster last year but anonymous in Croke Park and I just thought he'd lost a yard of pace ( he was never quick). I think O Neill will start ahead of him come championship in Ennis.

Number 2 is Flanagan. Again he had a good season but when Casey went into the corner in the Final we saw what scoring can be done in there. I think Flanagan might come under pressure to start this year. I'd love to see O Dalaigh get a run of games. For me he's an assassin. I think Shane O Brien is a touch over rated but with undoubted potential. My issue with him is he overplays the ball . He needs the hurley to gain control instead of getting the 'paw' on it straight away.

The two boys midfield don't have a full hour in them, especially O Donovan. Id see the potential there for some guy to put his hand up and battle to be the midfield sub.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Yes ur right, Flanagan really needs to up his game and needs to score more as if gillane is shackled we need another threat, to me twas madness to put casey out roaming around midfield last year, I would actually put flanagan out there and leave Peter inside, yes we do need another midfield option next year too, Adam english maybe will come good there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,565 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

.. and Flanagan’s partner has had another child a few weeks ago, so if anything it would maybe be him that makes the call to step back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭lukin

Yes Gillane could be shackled this year alright but not in the way you mean 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

gillane could be in more trouble then hayes , if truth be told but none of them will get time , as a rival supporter i would love it if both were off the field for a couple of years but genuinely both players have been excellent role model's off the field and cant be judged on a bad night out , everyone has their flaws to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Leave things that happened in another country out of this. Manchester was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Under 21 Premier hurling semi finals this week confirming the strength of the three city super clubs and general urbanisation of Limerick hurling with Ballybrown not far from city either .

Mungret V Na Piarsaigh

Monaleen v Ballybrown

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭rjoe90

Hurling in the city has really improved over the last 5/10 years. Having good Monaleen and mungret teams will be a massive boost to Limerick hurling. If St pats/claughan/Christians could improve also it would be a great plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Wow, you only had to go back 28 years to find something anyway comparable, interesting!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Dannymole22

Bit off topic but is anyone aware if the new kits are being launched this side of Christmas? Small fella is asking for Christmas and I don't want to buy the current one if a new one is being released

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Kits are on a 2 year cycle so no new one this year (sadly as I hate the current one and ruined my old one)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Dannymole22

Pity because the rounded collar on some other counties jerseys released recently are quite nice but can't argue with the 2 year cycle to be fair.

Ya the current style is "retro" and it really suits some of the new jerseys. Kerry in particular.

Our current jersey looks like it has tyre marks on it and I hate this new thing of having random coloured keepers jerseys like the soccer. Should always be white for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Any update re Limerick Hurling season tickets renewals?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭NJSC1980

Next week I'm hearing. Also hearing that a price hike and the removal of the first championship being free were being considered. Who knows but wouldn't be surprised.

Cian Lynch ankle ligaments injury - 6-9 months out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭billyhead

He had ankle surgery towards the end of August 2022 and had resumed full training the following January and came on as a sub in Limerick’s first league game.

9 months is absolute worst case scenario and would usually mean multiple ruptured ligaments. If the news is true (not questioning you but I do hope you have been misinformed!) then we could theoretically be looking at him being available again in the middle of the Munster championship. The trouble then is closing the gap from fit enough to train to full match sharpness - once he’s there he’s unstoppable but took him a while to get there this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭High bike

Heard the same thing supposedly gone for the year,hopefully not true

• Advertisement

Like any sport, the injury timeframe ranges from conservative to extreme, so obviously the 9 months is worst-case.

Thank you for confirming exactly what I said then!

Nah - was just the way you wrote it came across as if I wrote something completely wrong

Nope didn’t mean it that way, you said nothing wrong. I only hope you’re wrong in terms of what you heard on the injury :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭High bike

Apparently all bs,was talking to someone who met him yesterday,he's on crutches but only because he had a plate removed from his ankle from last years injury.Will be right as rain in a few weeks he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

He is possibly the most skillful hurler ever and would be a shame if we spend any more of this great run not seeing him play.

Good to here it's just a routine injury.

He’s abnormally skilled in certain situations, almost like it all happens in slow motion for him. Last two years we had three championship games with a fully fit and match sharp Cian Lynch - and our three biggest winning margins and most comfortable outings in all 3 (Cork ‘22, Galway ‘23, Kilkenny ‘23). Every other game was an arm wrestle, no coincidence. (Granted, Kilkenny wasn’t at all comfortable for the first half hour)

Cork 21 was absolute magic. The whole played great and you don't win like that if they don't but his display was one of the best individual displays I have seen.

He can make the hurley and sliotar stick together better than most us can stick two magnets together.

Post edited by breezy1985 on

• Advertisement

We’re very lucky JP McManus was born a Limerick man. His name has been used to try and take away from the success of the last five years by many an outsider - he’s been supporting the Limerick GAA cause long before the arrangement was formalised in 2005. Scholarships, investment in the Limerick hospital, lads we’ll never know the half of what he has contributed to our county.

The €1m for each county board won’t silence the begrudgers I have no doubt - I recall some moaning in 2018 that it was unfair he gave an equal €100k to each county as in proportional terms it was a small amount for larger counties relative to say a Leitrim or a Longford!

The man is a fcuking legend.

Advertisement