Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2004 toyota yaris won't start

• 10-12-2023 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Tomjim

My toyota yaris was going perfectly, went to town this morning, parked and was away for about 2 hours. Came back to the car and no dash lights came on and there's not a gig in the car, not even a click.

There's no fob to open and close the doors, it's a straight key

Is this the immobiliser and how can it be fixed? Will it cost much?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dead battery would be first port of call if no dash lights are coming on. Can you jump start it or push start it? If immobiliser was gone everything would be functioning except the car starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Tomjim

I have had a dead battery before but a few dash lights always appear. This time there are no dash lights appearing at all.

There is a red security light flashing. But when I put the key in the ignition, it stops flashing

I can't open the bonnet as the cable to open the bonnet seems to be broken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do the headlights work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

If the battery is very dead there will be no dash lights. It’s almost definitely the battery. Try jump start it and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭RockOrBog

Battery, maybe alternator

• Advertisement

no headlights working. Absolutely nothing working, car is completely dead.

yes I know what you are saying, but car started perfectly this morning when I was going into town. It was a good start, sometimes when battery is getting low, you would notice a sluggish start, but the start this morning was perfect.

I parked the car and say I was back in the car after 2 hours, so if it's the battery, I think the ignition lights should be coming on, but they are not. And they didn't come on when I got back into the car either. There is absolutely no power whatsoever in the car

Only the red security light is flashing slightly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

Perhaps you left the lights on?

Definitely try a jump start first, if you've recovery on your insurance ring them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭horse7

Any update?

no I am talking to a mechanic later today, so I will ask him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Happened my avensis couple of months ago car started fine drove to town park for a couple of hours.Came back and completely dead no lights on dash wouldn't turnover called breakdown from insurance it was the battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Cold weather and batteries are common at this time , if battery was old it might need replacing before the very bad weather.

What can kill them in winter heater blower blower on headlights on and heated rear window on and poor old alternator doing its best.

AA cover or breakdown assist on your policy ?.

No lights does sound like battery gone , but many people park and lock car and walk away and lights left on to flatten battery.

Interior light was also a favourite or boot light left on to run down battery.

Push start is a no go as not got enough juice.

Bonnet cable needs to be fixed to gain entry under bonnet , check oil , antifreeze and washer fluid top up against freezing.

problem solved, it was a loose connection on the battery.

As the cable is snapped on the bonnet opener, the mechanic put a wire outside at the front of the bonnet that I can pull if I want to open the bonnet.

I am happy with this arrangement but will it fail the NCT with this wire in place at the front of the bonnet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Yes as its a safety device , very strange having an issue with it , is it cable snapped or handle broken as now people can get in under your hood and i know you said snapped but just double checking.

• Unusual for modern cars to have these issues. Decades ago I used to maintain my own Austin Metro, had all tightly functioning, in those days everything very accessible and adjustable, now I have a CH-R hybrid, I don’t go near it under the bonnet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You don’t need to go under the bonnet these days to keep it running 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Battery and/or alternator

Advertisement