Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Pumps - post here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

I'm seeing the turning off of Weather Compensation more and more is posts of people with high consumption

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Saw a video the other day for condensing boilers, not heatpumps. Was from a manufacturer and he said whatever the relevant EU standards body estimated a 2 or 3% fuel saving per year with weather comp enabled. Much lower than I expected.

And likely less useful in Ireland where we don't get large temp changes per day. Or not typically anyway.

And with a hestpump running at 30C and modulating the heat, it's low and slow anyway. So the thermostat shouldn't overshoot the temp in the house. Or so I'd guess..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭newhouse87

In my case i experimented a bit, i found even in mild weather lwt of 27 was too low and cycled alot so thats not efficient, during recent cold spell i tried 29deg 24/7 and house was 21/22 and felt warm throughout with minimal cycling. Last year using weather compensation left by installer and various stats on/off in the house i had flow temps of up to 41/42 in minus weather and obviously accompanying high consumption. Think i have found sweet spot of flow temp for my house that is more optimal then weather curve. HP even in cold weather was using 1-1.2kw per hour wheres as it was using up to6kw per hour using on off method and v low cop. Def in cold weather 24/7 low and slow the best approach but anybody i talk to is using stats still to run it like gas boiler.

If you were able to draw at up to 6kW, it sounds like the unit was way oversized ???

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I wonder was the backup immersion kicking in at that stage, would explain the 6kW (some have It coming on as default if it can't get the temperature up quick enough)

Mine only pulls 3ish when outputting 11kw. No backup immersion on mine

• Advertisement

The back up heaters were engaging, wes away when cold snap hit so only copped the equilibrium temp for back up heaters was only 0deg when i saw usage and got home, have that lowered so wont be coming on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Sounds like you definitely have a good handle on things. But, even at that low and slow approach, am I right in saying you were using approx. 30kWh/day in the cold days? Just going off 1.2kW per hour x 24 hrs.

yeah roughly that, a bit less as some hours just over a kw or just below for the recent cold snap,was quite happy with that tbh. I have my usage from nov to jan last year and its trending towards 20+% reduction, closer to 30 in consumption. House is 2600sq ft so i think its decent usage for heating in minus territory.

Size of house is important factor in this.

Mines a 1500ish ft² bungalow. But from the 80's and seem to be hitting about 20kwh/day these days.

What temperature are you heating the house to? Is that 20 total electricity in this mild weather?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You will need a BER assessor who can also do the necessary technical assessment to bring the HLI down to 2.0 or less

What part of the country are you in?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Living room, hall and kitchen at 20/21ish

Rest at 18. I have much higher heat loss. But running at about 25% -30% the cost of oil. and when feb/march hits I'll be producing enough to run it without charging batteries at night. - Oh running it all from batteries/night rate. Monitoring link

oil comparison

Been a fun project so far. Must get the walls pumped sometime.

So is it 20kwh per day the heat pump uses in these mild conditions?. In this weather im running midday to 9pm and using approx 14kwh including dhw, house still 21 following morning. In cold weather when using 30kwh, whole house was 21/22, sometimes 23 in kitchen.

Monitoring only really up and running for the past week, But yeah about that. Had a fire on the really cold days and some evenings because we like it. Not having to run it like a steam engine is nice :)

HP only in about 2 weeks. Basically a drop in replacement for oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

That's some difference. I need to read this a few times to see if it helps me.

😎

All houses are different, im sure many would not get away with flow temp of 29 in the cold weather especially with rads. This is just what worked in my home.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Dozz

@graememk did you have to do much remedial work before installing the Heat pump (bigger radiators etc)?

Can I ask what make and model you installed?

Before? No, but I did run with a buffer tank heated by night rate for a year before hand.

I did upgrade one radiator in the living room as the old one was partially blocked

A lot of the radiators in my house are already double radiators.

Have an ecoforest ecoAir 3-12. (It's a r290 one more suited to higher temperatures)

Have since come across heat punk which could help in estimating what size radiators you need

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭zoom_cool

I have a Phinix Chinese R290 Heat pump and currently running at 10kwh per day including DHW in a 200m2 house built in the 70s I did a big renovation job with external wall insulation and triple glazed windows. House is only B2 I run a 35 flow on EV tariff and come 5pm I run till about 11pm house is 21 downstairs and 19 upstairs.

Now there's someone pretty much doing what I plan to do. I have no plan to run 24 x 7, heating the house when I don't need or want it heated.

Yes, I would likely run a bit during EV hours, because it would be dirt cheap anyway.

Have you all rads ? What COP are you getting ?

• Advertisement

In the real cold weather heating from 5pm to 11pm will mean house will be not be at set 20/22 while you are awake. Takes an age to heat house up 2-3deg in cold weather .I was totally against heating 24/7 up until 2 weeks ago when i tried it in the cold snap. Usage went down and comfort and cop went way up. Mild conditions heating at certain times makes more sense imo. Tonight my heating will go off at9om and house will still be 20/21 for breakfast.

Radiators can be more responsive, but dont have the heat store properties of the Concrete slab!

If you have night rate, would you do some heating on night rate and then backing off until the afternoon/evening?

@zoom_cool is I think running the way I plan to too - ultimately like a gas or oil boiler, running at higher temps, getting heat in faster, and accepting the lower COP as it heats, but then, at temp, the COP will depend on the heatloss

Oh yes, forgot to say, its ufh im talking about, have no clue about rads. Have no night rate, its only in real cold weather i will be running 24/7. Fixed times in conditions like today as house retains heat v well in these temps.

I have UFH downstairs and Aluminium Rads upstairs on a really cold day it might run during the middle of the day for a hour I run in the EV rate constant at 35 flow you need this for Rads upstairs not sure what the COP is because these heat pumps don't have a Meter to measure COP only consumption. They do give you a chart to have a estimate and would be something like 4.5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Does it have weather compensation? and inverter control? How is it measuring inside temperatureor modulating its power? Do HPs use a simple on/off off-the-shelf thermostats? I started looking HPs up and am wondering if there off the shelf PID stats that can provide temperature information to modulate power, OR does the midea m have its own propriety stat

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Scoopsire

Did you import the heat pump or how did you come across this brand?

Also what thickness of wall, floor, etc. insulation have you since the renovation?

2-6 with Energia

• Advertisement

Yesterday heating from 11am-9pm, 14kwh including dhw. Whole House 21/22 last night and 20/21 this morning so plenty warm for breakfast. Flow rate 29deg seems to be doing the trick. Not often we will get that real cold snap that will require me 24/7 running. Could prob get away with heating shorter time and use less kwh but slab retains heat for the night longer its heating during the day and still warm following morning this way for sake of extra euro a day.

Advertisement