Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Yes. You could buy certain brands of hybrid inverters which will work just with the battery and no solar. Deye/Sunsynk or Sofar work, others might too.

Or a standalone battery inverter like a Sofar ME3000SP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Maybe in a disciplined house but where there's multiple adults only one of whom pays the bill it's a different story.

It just wouldn't suit the profile of my house where people use the electric shower, electric cooking, washing machine / dryer at completely random times.

My plan expires soon so I'll weigh it off and see.

I've a battery so it skews the argument in favour of charging it at night and covering the load until the solar kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,044 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm with you on this. To many last minute ad hoc demands.

I think if you have a more regular schedule, like commute daily and need the car charged every other night, then its obviously makes more sense. But also as Unkel says if you're falling outside the plan now and then not a big deal, you'd still be saving.

I suspect we'd not be disciplined enough to stick to it enough of the time to really make full use of the rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@waterwelly

This household has 5 members of which 1 pays the bills and the other 4 don't take any notice of when to use electricity. You guessed who that 1 is 😂

Forget about educating the other ones, it's up to you to make sure the system handles whatever they do. So have a big battery and a powerful inverter and they can do whatever the hell they want. Get rid of those electric showers though, they should have stayed in the 1980s

Same here. I don't have the patience to micro-mange the others though.

For future reference. Whats the issues with Electric showers?

• Advertisement

Their power is up to 10kW. It is almost impossible to have an inverter / battery big enough to handle several long showers a day using those showers. A far more elegant and comfortable solution is to have a pump fitted in your hot press, this will mean all your water outlets (all showers, baths, taps) will have powerful water

Also the main reason I don't run out of battery this winter compared to last winter is replacing a condenser dryer with a heat pump dryer. The former used 5kWh per cycle, the latter 2kWh. Sometimes we use 3 cycles a day 😐️

Cheers. Do you not find using a dryer that much, can shrink things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

We do 70-110kw a day during the winter with EV and heat pump. Could probably ensure 10kw per hour, maybe even 12 per hour in the EV window, so 30-40KW inside the EV window, I still have 50-60% of the usage outside that window. With 16c night rate all night, I get 80% of it or more at night rate.

😎

Yeah but if there's no hot water left then you are on day rate for it. I've people who will turn on the hot tap and walk away while they wait for the hot water to draw through. Then they forget about it.

The electric showers are staying.

Once the solar season kicks in I can be drawing ~3kW from a battery and on average ~3kw from panels.

So electric showers are at, say 1/2 price.

@waterwelly - "Once the solar season kicks in I can be drawing ~3kW from a battery and on average ~3kw from panels.

So electric showers are at, say 1/2 price."

Doesn't work like that. You could dump battery and PV output into the grid at say 25c, that means a total of 1 hour of electric showering costs you €2.50

Far cheaper to heat water with night rate or even gas, and then have a pumped shower

@waterwelly - "Yeah but if there's no hot water left then you are on day rate for it. "

Yes. That's why you could consider having a very large hot water cylinder. I upgraded mine from the standard Irish 120l to 360l over 7 years ago and got 40 solar thermal tubes installed too. Just before my eldest daughter was a teenager. Now I have a wife and 3 teenage daughters and I was correctly expecting a huge use of hot water 😁

• Advertisement

Indeed. If I was doing it all again it would be a bit different. But I have oil central heating and a hot water tank in a space that it's not really practical to fit a larger tank.

So I have to work with what I've got.

I can live with the cost of the electric showers that I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭mrm

I was only looking at the costs of each type of dryer today for my mother. I might be way out here without sufficient research but have you calculated in the approx €500 extra to switch to the heat pump model?

I have a 10.8kW battery and EV and a 'management' system that cannot revolve around 2-5 when I am usually asleep. You list a collection of criteria that needs to be in place to be able to facilitate availing of such a short out of hours window of cheap electricity - a pump in the hotpress; heat pump dryer; huge battery (DIY only!); powerful inverter; 360L tank; storage heaters. It is not that there is little management to run this, there is no adequate management process available if you do not have the perfect set up as per you list. You state the savings are huge. I have done my figures - it would cost me a lot to switch to a 5c 2-5am tariff (currently on the Flogas community? plan), either via running costs or set up upgrade costs. You are advocating too simplistic a view on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,427 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

An alternative to a drier is a dehumidifier. Works really well and some of them are incredibly energy efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,427 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Agree about electric showers. They cost a fortune. Some houses have two of them and complain about high bills 🤣

A pumped shower is more powerful anyway. Far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,918 ✭✭✭✭listermint

In so far the water is being heated constantly. The pumped shower on its own isn't the only part of the picture and oil fired house doesn't benefit from this in summer time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The shower is all about how much time you spend in it. Using a bit more than charging an EV, so 10 mins per person wouldn't be a massive amount.

10 min showers and no baths filled to the brim? Maybe you don't have a wife and 3 teenage daughters? 😂

Sure even my own showers are sometimes more than 10 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You're very handy with the tech, Unkel, just install a programme that switches to cold water only after 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭eagerv

Back in the day I use to trip the switch after about 10 mins, unknown to them, told them the house couldn't sustain 9kW for long and would trip. Not sure if they believed me , but it certainly reduced the time in the shower..🙂

• Advertisement

I'd be knifed, killed, kicked out of the house and divorced within the hour 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Ours is a about 20 KwH annually, that's for charging the car 2, maybe three times a week and running a heat pump for the night, also no electric showers

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Am curious, for that 3 hr window, are you able to draw in enough power to store it in batteries in that small window of time? My partner uses a condensor drier many times during the day, wonder if it's worth buying a heat pump dryer, should plug it into a smart plug to monitor usage

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

If any help in terms of you checking your condensor usage. Have family of 4 here - with one of the teens appearing to believe that changing clothes twice a day and that every item of clothes, including say hoodies on over a t-shirt and a light top, is limited to one wear. We have a heat pump dryer and I have an energy plug on it to monitor it since start Sep. Very little outside drying unfortunately with weather and us not being around at home to manage the in and out since then.

Anyway, usage: 44.5kw in Oct. 41.25kw in Nov. 12.13kw so far this month (with 2 loads to go in today so can assume low 40s again).

Post edited by TheSunIsShining on

Yes it has made a huge difference for me. Old condenser dryer used about 5kWh per cycle (of 8kg), new heat pump one about 2kWh. Often enough we run 2-3 cycles per day

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I'm getting away lightly with my condenser dryer it uses 2Kw per hour, it's used for 1.5 hours a day as the heavy clothes, towels etc are left out and dried with the dehumidifier which uses 300W.

You are! We're too busy / lazy to hang stuff out, so everything goes in the dryer. In winter at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I meant left out on a clothes horse in the kitchen, no point in hanging them outside the day is too short. The dehumidifier is fantastic for the house in general.

Oh aye, I understood you. Back in the recession, I hang out everything (indoors) to save on the leccy bill. Thankfully I no longer have to do that out of pure financial necessity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭snor

Ageee the humidifier is fabulous for drying clothes. Leave mine on a clothes rail in a small, warm bedroom and run the dehumidifier 2-6am and clothes are dry in the am

Advertisement