Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Gamergurll

Yep, we live in Donegal and my landlord got the same phonecall. Thank God he told them where to go but the way things stand some of his tenants are there years, he hasn't increased the rent by much and if he did evict them he would greatly increase his profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

We need to dramatically rethink how we design housing due to climate change. I'm no meteorologist but I predict hotter summers and colder winters becoming the norm.

The housing situation is nowhere near being under control. And the government needs to wake up to that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

Do we?

Talk through the steps of how that conclusion came about?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It depends on your perspective..

If you're a tenant or family trying to pay your rent and your bills while trying to also save for a mortgage you'll probably never get, or if you've been forced back into your childhood bedroom because you can't find/afford a place of your own in the first place, or if you're stuck in a property/area no longer suitable for your needs - then yes the situation is out of control.

If however you're a Government minister who is not affected by any of this, who maybe owns a few rental properties themselves (as many of our TDs do), or you're a NGO or foreign investor who's bought up and is now renting property back out at exorbitant rates - or better yet, to the Councils for guaranteed fixed rates and timeframes - then the current situation is ideal for your business.

As I said, it's all about perspective. Unfortunately for the first groups, the latter are the ones that matter under this current and recent prior Governments.

As a bonus they've even managed to speed up the process by doing away with the (as real as wrestling) ideological differences between the 2 main parties thanks to Confidence and Supply and Coalition. Who needs a functioning democracy anyway?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

That talk about huge numbers moving to Ireland due to climate change is just trolling to shut down debate. Any politician that mentions that can be written off as a serious person let alone politician. If it was true where exactly is the plan to house these millions of immigrants to Ireland and when will we start implementing that plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

It's totally out of order in my opinion. Never thought I'd see Cromwell tactics back into Donegal. Evicting the Irish to replace with non nationals. History repeating itself.

The government needs to wake up to climate change being used to mask massive influx of refugees coming to Ireland and being a much better financial proposition for Irish property owners and landlords. How can housing ever catch up ,its purely codology

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

I think at last count 15% in mostly part time and voluntary jobs .Hardly awe inspiring .

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Yes, we have this absurd situation developing whereby the Government/NGOs are competing against local renters to acquire properties to accomodate new arrivals, using tax payers money to drive up the price of renting for taxpayers. Actively incentivising landlords to prioritise immigrants. Spending taxpayers money to make life more difficult for tax payers.

Also keeping all benefits plus accommodation paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,980 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

That seems to be the common denominator. Some People are being victimised for paying the rent they agreed in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

My elderly Aunt has quite a large home on the edge of a village and she is the person extended family stay with when travelling back home from all over. She also helps out the local guest house the odd time when they can’t cope with weddings, funerals and the like.

Two councillors arrived in with her one day to pile pressure on her to take in Ukraine refugees. Luckily she’s no fool and told the pair of them to get lost as she’s too old and her home is for all her family & grandkids throughout the year for holidays. Her children were livid this happened and we’ve all wondered since what happens when councillors find weaker more susceptible older folks with large houses and spare rooms.

Last Summer I was on my way home through Cavan town and I stopped off for a bite at lunch time. Talking for a time with the owner who told me how they have no space left in the the town. Families who would normally travel home for Christmas & summer have no where to stay and some elderly parents now travel in the opposite direction to spend time with their families, grandkids etc.

To me it’s shocking that no politician is willing to have an honest conversation with the public about any of this. If small communities are struggling to manage the influx and the negative impacts then why is it not being addressed?

Instead we are handing this growing problem gift wrapped to the self serving far-right loons to weaponise it. Waiting for Ireland’s Nigel Farage or a criminal like Boris Johnson to get into power in the near future and make everything so much worse.

What has anything to do with global warming got to do with housing and the serious lack of it.

Anyone thinking that it has needs to seriously go and have a good long think about this.

Seriously people need to wake up to these governments.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

What party do you intend voting for at the next general election out of interest? It clearly cant be FF, FG, SF, Labour, Greens, Soc Dems or PBP as they are all part of the Government / NGO cosy consensus you are alluding to.

That's our old climate, our new climate is mild with freak events, blurred seasons etc

Because the government have said many times we need to prepare for an influx of climate refugees

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mykrodot

https://news.sky.com/story/is-immigration-to-ireland-out-of-control-many-in-the-land-of-a-hundred-thousand-welcomes-are-worried-13025649

......one of the only balanced pieces of journalism about Ireland's immigration problem I've read and its by Sky News today. Why can we not have a mature, balanced discussion on immigration here? Why are we being treated like bold school children, men being bussed into rural Donegal , Mayo, Kerry, Ballymun, Rosslare at night time? At least in the UK it is being discussed in Parliament , on both sides, without the predictable mud slinging, aimed solely at shutting down any dissenters and even shutting down conversation that we excel at in Ireland. Its no wonder people are getting so angry. We simply don't have a voice on this!!

Post edited by mykrodot on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's now costing 1.88 million per day to house asylum seekers or 682 million per year at this rate it's going to cost at least billion euro per year to pay for accommodation for asylum seekers,

Come next October we can all expect tax increases and USC to pay for all of this .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Both of them, the Government for just being plain stupid offering whats a weeks wages in Ukraine for doing nothing and the Ukrainians for taking advantage of that stupidity.

And before you reply have a think about this and if you don't see that moving from another EU country which offered them stanctuary to our one just because the money is better isn't playing the system then I don't know what else I can say to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

That's mad, have you called the cops about the shouting and roaring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You must be a townie, the guards aren't going to get into the squad car and come out here because some people are shouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

It's not climate change causing this mass migration. Its social media, instant communication and social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Why is it Eastern European countries like Poland or Hungary appear to have more power over immigration than we do? We keep hearing about our "obligations" whereas they seem much more strict.

Could it be the government is lying to us over measures it can take? 🤔

Is it just countries in western Europe that have obligations?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Galwayguy35 threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Excellent post.

The best post on this subject I've read anywhere.

I'm a good ten years younger than you but most of my colleagues who are friends are in your age bracket and your sentiments re kids futures etc echo theirs exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

The veto power used to oppose the EU asserting themselves by the likes of Poland and Hungry may soon be abolished by a new Bill. Essentially the bill seeks to limit the sovereignty of smaller EU countries

The elites and WEF want to be rid of the nation state and nationalism as these people fight back as history has proven. Two world wars were fought on it. They want no war and mixing of Western populations to dilute the culture, weaken and control it.

Hence the culture war stuff, used as a distraction, as misdirection is how they rearrange society. It's happening in Western countries because they are the rich ones which the elites want to control. . Richard Von Coudenhove-Kalergi wrote about "the great Europeans".. They do not want people owning anything as the WEF has stated in their 10 year plan. This includes houses. They are also introducing CBDCs in a few years which is another control grab.

You can shuffle politicians around all you want. It's not going to make any difference. Every single politician of note is either consciously onboard with the world agenda, or they know well enough to keep their mouth shut and do as they're told. The big think tanks, foundations, roundtable groups, intelligence agencies, religious organizations, the central banks, the big commercial and investment banks, the corporations and so on. The old bloodline families that go back for centuries or even millennia. EU politicians seek only to rule , not democratically represent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The attempted power grab by the EU parliament is nothing more than the death throes of a soon to be parliamentary minority, it'd still have to be approved by the council and that's obviously not likely. It also wouldn't be possible to get it through before elections.

It's left wing theatrics, they just want to make a good show.

Same with the migrant pact, the parliament is trying to get that over the line with whatever concessions they can get from the council before the elections and get as much support from their base before the election. The migrant pact doesn't go far enough but even then it seems the parliament isn't getting any movement on their things they take issue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

And we need external media to report the situation. MSM in the country is an absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There have been numerous articles about refugees, immigration in general and the accommodation crisis in the press this year. Prime Time and the Tonight Show on VM have had a good few discussions about it, as have radio shows like Late Debate. It would be quite untrue to say the topic hasn't been discussed or is a taboo subject.

Where are all the supposed accusations of "far right" and denials of same coming from if nobody is discussing immigration in the media?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

The discussion in MSM mainly concerned with housing them, NGOs brought in to complain about everything under the sun, tgst they need more money(taxpayers money).

There is next to no discussion on capping the number of refugees apart from external international media....says a lot about how corrupt Irish media is.

Advertisement