Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

Villa were on a great run of form when we played them, 5 wins in their opening 6 games. Emery has done amazing work with their squad and they will definitely challenge for the European spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Not to take away from villa and they are on brilliant run of form,but there is a big difference between their home form and away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

In fairness, they have beaten both Tottenham and Chelsea away. It's only in the past week that Liverpool have began to pick up away wins again.

Away form:

• Aston Villa : DWLDWLWL
    • Liverpool  : WWDDDLWWD

I don't think Villa will be a threat to our league position but they are a contender fourth or fifth place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I wonder which City team we are seeing here, will it be like 20-21 where they had 29 points after 16 matches but then went on a crazy run to easily win the league? Or is it 19-20 City where they had 32 points after 16 matches but the relentless pressure they faced of having to win every match meant they dropped points. At the moment I would think it is more like 19-20, if only for the fact that one injury apparently disrupts the team and that is why they are not as imperious as they should be (not allowing other key players to leave and not replacing them....just that one injury).

Then again it could be 20-21 where if that one player comes back they go on a 15 match unbeaten run and blow away all challengers. If it is the latter, the hope we have is that there was little pressure on them in that year as we started crumbling with our injuries to our CB's and there was little challenge from any of the other teams. At the moment it seems like there are 3 other teams pushing City this year. Sure Aston Villa may fall away, but maybe they don't and add another teams to look at.

In any case, we have put ourselves in a good position for a good season. You cannot win the league in the first half, but you can lose it and not challenge. It is up to us to improve ourselves as well as we haven't been as good as we can be. First we focus on ourselves and our performances, then we can see what the other teams are up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The chances of us getting back in the CL are decent in any case.

I'd be alot more confident if Matip hadn't gotten seriously injured.

One game at a time. Need to watch city play from behind for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

We really could have done without losing Salah for Jan and Feb to the AFCON..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Yeah we're gonna need Nunez to find his scoring boots again - hasn't scored in the league in almost two months I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

It'll be interesting to see who plays down the right. All the other forwards are generally left or centre. Will one move across? Or will Elliott get gametime there? Doak?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

This season is a bit mad, lets be honest, ourselves, City and Arsenal have been pretty rubbish for most of it so far, but the likely winner will come from us non the less. I don't think this year is going to be like any other, I just can't see any team winning 13/14 games on the bounce as everyone is so far from that level as it is...

A 6 or 7 game winning streak in the new year could be enough for someone to start leaving a gap. We're well capable of that, but we need to start finding form, fast! We're simply not going to get away with these come from behind results, 18 points from such positions after 16 games is madness. If we had this from any other year we could be finding ourselves outside the top 6 such is the fine margins in wins like those.

For whatever reason now, in the last 4 weeks so many players levels have dropped dramatically. We were purring nicely throughout September and October, getting better each week as the new players were getting more and more used to playing together, so I was expecting us to be all guns blazing coming into the Christmas. We have gone so flat and are now struggling to create any kind of decent chance, we only seem to be able to create now when we are chasing and can throw caution to the wind, which is obviously not sustainable football. We went from a good home win against Brentford, then we were absolutely dogs**t against City the following week and we have not recovered.

This sounds very low from a fan who's team is top of the league, but I do feel we need a drastic change in performances levels and soon. Put is this way, this is probably the lowest UTD are coming to Anfield in years and we have turned them over 5-0 and 7-0 in those years. But the way we are playing, this game could go anyway. I'd bite your hand off for a 2-0 right now, but with a decent performances to back it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Thankfully if klopp does leave in the distant future the last twelve months have ruled Gerard out as his replacement.Fans are too emotionally attached to ex players and owners go with the popular decision and put them in management positions when they are far from the best candidates for the job, it's been shown over and over that the best players are less likely to be the best managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Did i read somewhere we are losing Endo for some Asian cup or something at some stage? Not ideal either, spurs also losing Son for what it's worth, apparently.

We just have to keep a buffer to city till they get KDB back, but they really do look human after all this season even in games where they've had Rodri playing. I think Arsenal's achilles heel is they're lack of a big goal scorer this year, Jesus although in and out with injuries has only two league goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Think the most effective there would be Nunez. Fella causes chaos no matter where you put him, and has scored a few for club and country coming in from that right channel this season. Diaz and Jota are rubbish there, and I don’t think it would suit Gakpo either.

Diaz-Gakpo-Nunez would still be a good dynamic, with Jota able to cover left and centre once he’s back and fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I know this is obvious, but it needs to be said as often as possible.

Alisson is the most important player in our team. he made two saves on Saturday - in a game where we played appallingly - that many keepers, and certainly our no.2, would never have made. the guy is a freak, and make no mistake, we drop points without him on Saturday.

i've been a Salah disciple ever since his first season, and have always preached that he is our best and most important player. that now ends. it's Ali. he may not be the 'greatest' keeper in the history of the Prem, due to the team not winning enough, but I'd have no problem calling him the best I've ever seen. I'd be happy to concede Schmeichel if you argued it, and I won't fight you about it at all, but there is literally nobody else.

I'm gonna try and get Nunez and Chaos banned until he breaks he scores again.

I know what you are saying but 18 goal involvements this season in 16 prem games is just unreal.

I haven't been overly impressed with his general play either tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

To be fair to Salah, he has played his best football in a long long time at stages this season. It only the last 4 weeks, along with 75% of his team mates where the levels have dropped. It's not just him under performing.

They all need to rediscover their mojo, and quickly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Hoping that a nice week long break for most this week as its a dead rubber on Thursday with a huge week starting Sunday should be perfect timing to come back into form.

Team has been rubbish since the international break but somehow still picking up points and top of the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Winter months is always about points, not performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'm not saying anything as a detriment to Salah. He's still ridiculous.

But Alisson is simply more important.

To have 3 players in our team with not just legitimate, but almost irrefutable claims to being the best in the world in those 2 plus VVD, is a very nice place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

Just seen some of the statistics around salah's 200 goals for us.

Around a quarter of this goals have come at 0-0, around a quarter of his goals scored in the last quarter of games with a quarters of his goals are winning goals. Most goals against United - remember when they said they didn't play well against them! Also high number of goals against City, Arsenal, no flat track bullying. Legend!

This.

I'm with you, I think Ali is comfortably our most important player, but it's great that it's even a debate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Not sure if it's due to form or just getting on with age but I noticed that Salah's dribbling ability this year has fallen off a cliff. He's no longer able for the one-on-one's. Ditto for Diaz too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

What if a goal had been scored or a player been sent off in the period between the penalty incident and the actual penalty being given in the Crystal Palace / Liverpool match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

I hear this so many times.

- early season is about picking up points/momentum.

- end of season is about getting over the line.

Its a cliche, it is always about points. Playing better makes it easier to get points but getting points is all that matters, regardless of the time of year or game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'll keep harping on about it because it's still the only loss we've suffered all season:

Yet another challenge far worse than what got Jones banned for 3 games, only a yellow card again. I'm sure if the ref was sent to look at a still image on the monitor there'd be a red card, but that trick is only used when they want to use it.

It would have been overturned, I think. The same way VVD's yellow card for their penalty was undone when VAR called it back for the foul on Endo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭McFly85

It’s a strange season, if City were in peak form a few points ahead of everyone I’d say we’d be feeling pretty good about ourselves considering where we were last year.

But with City looking more human this season it feels like we’ve stumbled into an opportunity we weren’t expecting and have to contend with hope among everything else!

Get past the AFCON in the mix with few injuries, maybe even a signing in January and I might start to believe. Top 4 was the goal at the start of the season so I’m happy we’re well on course for that - throw in a Europa win in Dublin and I’d be ecstatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭steve_r

Just looking at some of the xG numbers

xG (for)

Liverpool - 32.1

City -30.8

Arsenal - 29.0

XGA (expected goals against)

Arsenal -12.1

City -14.7

Liverpool 19.7

xGD (expected goal difference)

Arsenal -16.9

City - 15.8

Liverpool 12.4

I think this agrees to the above comments, on performance levels we probably shouldn't be top. Not going to get too upset about it mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'm mostly just worried about the clean sheets away from home. Think Sheffield United last week is the only one we've had all season? And bar Chelsea first game of the season we've gone 1-0 down in all the other away games. That's crazy form. We can't always rely on coming back for draws and wins, we need to stop conceding in those games and get out ahead of them to have any sort of consistency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Based on this analysis, we clearly need to drop that Allison fella and play Kelleher in the Big games from now on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There was one in the Luton game yesterday that when slowed down looked alot worse. They then showed it in real time and it wasn't as bad. Didn't even give a yellow. They didn't do that with Jones at all and it made it look far worse than it was.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If Allison was not in goal on Saturday Liverpool would have lost that game, from the one in the first half that he pushed onto the post and then got back up to make sure it didn't go over the line to the save at almost the last kick of the game.

The test event went fine tonight, apparently, so there'll be an extra 7,000 in the new Upper Anfield Road stand this weekend 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anderson was offside for that very late effort. Most teams wouldn't do as well if you take their best players out of the team (especially at goalkeeper where the drop off between starter and backup is usually much greater).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I think he should have kept his powder dry,laughed anyway but....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I don't think his comments were that pointed. Like a light amount of shade at Chelsea maybe, the rest is just that its fortunate how everything worked out on our end.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

It was a bit unnecessary from Klopp last night I thought. No need for it

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Steviemak7

Hopefully Klopp will pick his team primarily from the B List squad. No need to risk anyone for the game on Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

Should be playing a lot of the lesser lights, especially as we cant be caught for top of the group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That's why we love him, he doesn't sugar coat says what he feels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

And how good he feels Szoboszlai & Gravenberch are and can become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

You wonder why Klopp gets frustrated with reporters so often

It's because everything he says gets spun in the most cynical way possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Yep - It's shite like posting a picture of the 2 Chelsea signings underneath Klopp's words that deliberately try and turn his quotes into an 'attack' on Chelsea.

No shortage of people willing to run with it unfortunately.

People are very easily manipulated.

Didn't think it was that bad either.

Lavia and Caicedo episodes were strange. Their preference for Chelsea, their fees etc.

I am sure Caicedo will come good but Lavia was always a punt.

I read it more as positives about our own buys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

• Advertisement
Advertisement