Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

Neither are costs deductible... its a hobby.... if you win 10k in the lotto you dont pay tax. Most people who own a racehorse end up losing a lot more than they win.... horse racing is a hobby for the majority of owners

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

Coolmore and the likes breed these horses, change them over into training, winnings are tax free, so is the sale of the horse. Get them.over the line even in a grade 3 and its a valuable animal.

If you decided to breed top class cattle for Carrick winter fair, not submit accounts, ie costs not deductible, and sold a few for €10k plus. Would revenue allow you to declare it a hobby? Even though you halter trained them, clipped them etc? They would like f......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Packrat

Well if the profit is tax free, it doesn't bloody matter if your costs aren't tax deductible....

They're costs of doing business, maybe the state should refund them or something...

Most stallion owners aren't hobbyists, it's a huge business in this country with horses that never raced here being flown in and out to cover mares. Of course they remain here for the requisite number of days to be based here for tax purposes.

Nothing more than a tax avoidance scheme on a grand scale making billionaires of a few people and making it impossible for any genuine farmer to buy land in proximity to any of these edifices to corruption.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Always find this argument amusing.

Who ever pays the most deserves to buy the land, Coolmore have as much a right to buy it as some random or "genuine" farmer.

The horseracing industry is a valuable industry to this country

Are you saying there is no tax on Stallion Fees ?

• Advertisement

No its not. It became taxable again a number of years ago

Delighted that you find it amusing.

For hundereds of years many of our ancestors lived on and paid rack rents for land which was 'legitimately acquired' by the who 'owned it'

Mr Magniers ancestors would be of that class of landowner.

This outfit also hived off millions in farm payments over decades.

He's about 90 and has no need of that land only greed and empire building.

They should be boycotted.

Post edited by Packrat on

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Ya and if I breed a foal and sell it I pay tax on it

If I buy a horse for 20k and race it I dont pay tax on the winnings nor can I write trainers fees off against tax and once is enough to pay tax on the 20k

No problem with that at all Fintan. I agree 100%, if the playing field was level.

• Advertisement

Grueller answered that above.

"Sure they're all only hobbyists father"

The horsey set would still walk down on the rest of us if they got a moments chance.

Look how indignant they get when told to fxxk off out of private land they think they have some right to charge through a few times a year.

Close association with former govs means they still get the occasional tax break whilst everyone else pays their way.

"Sport of Kings" ?

Lol...

No time for any of them.

The majority of NH Breeders and Sport Horse Breeders are every day farmers who pay their taxes like everyone else and are smart in what they write off like every farmer should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

It’s easy to make loads of tax free money out of horses. Just buy a horse and watch the money roll in. After a few years you’ll have buckets of cash to buy up the best of farms. You won’t know what to do with all the cash. Simples. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

Think Magnier came from a small farm in Cork, father died young, Mcmanus started out small too

Who said it wasn't hard work? No different to any other type of farming or any other profession for that matter, but having favourable tax systems for them is not right.

The sport is also propped up by an extremely favourable betting tax regime, down from 20% in the mid 80s to 1% in bookmakers or online currently with 0% on course.

Never mentioned McManus. You need to research Magnier again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I remember one successful business owner, absolutely no connection to golden Vale, buying a very substantial amount of shares a few months before take over by kerry. Shares price rose, he sold off. Now how did he know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

As far as I know Magnier started off as a dairy farmer near Fermoy. I know the guy that bought the milking parlour from him secondhand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I don't think any farmer would begrudge a horse or stallion owner if they were taxed the same as any other farmer. Horse owners under the current government lobbied and won to have horses classed as a livestock unit to claim the bps and other land based subs. So these are livestock for a business not classed anymore as a hobby. Thus the prize money should be taxed the same way as livestock, cows, sheep earn.

Currently horse owners can run horses against each other in private closed off tracks and nearly know to a tee which horse should win which race. It's nearly tied up completely before the race. Money is made if you know which horse is going to win which race. Even better if that form's been hidden and the horse has long odds.

We've a situation now where Coolmore estates are the largest farmland owners in the state with no sign of slowing down buying thousands more each year. If this was a Chinese family or business buying thousands of acres there'd be uproar and a change in land buying and ownership laws to stop it. This happened in New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

As I said thats what I thought I read before, plenty non farmers come on here giving out about subsidies and its pointed out to them that every industry gets subsidized directly or indirectly. Farmer selling land wouldn't be too happy if some restriction came into play about who could buy land either I think ( although something exists in France where locals get first chance?) Not involved in horses in any way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Mcmanus started off holding dogs in Limerick track by all acounts more likely story then the yarn he started off with a jcb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭White Clover

I don't know if this was possible. Golden Vale was a Co-Op not a plc. The board of the CoOp would have to approve the sale of the shares.

They are a livestock unit if they are on the farm. But considering they are bought for racing the would be spending 9-10 months of the year in a trainers yard, so very hard to be claiming a livestock unit for them

Now if its breeding you are on about then yes they are on the farmand tax is paid on the profit of the foal. Think a lot are mixing up racing and breeding

I woiuld love to own more land, but like a lot of others I cant afford to buy it / dont see the sense in it. I dont begrudge all the Dairy Farmers buying up every perch around the place. More power to anyone who can afford to buy land... Magnier included.... it will all be there after us

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I've just noticed that the Irish Farmers Journal are not advertising their annual "bucket" digital subscription. I've seen online offers to get the printed edition posted to your home with freebies but not the digital w/free bucket. Youngest son is working and fishing in Scotland sporting a Farmers Journal hat, cap, several mugs, a back pack and reusable tae/coffe cups. Have I missed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Anyone fill out the suatainablity survey for bord bia lately? Trying to enter tirn out and housing dates here for the auld fella and it keeps coming up "wrong month" tried entering the date in several formats still no joy. An enrollment in a computer literacy course for farmers would be a great xmas gift here you would think but using it wouldnt even be given a thought here.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was just thinking the same. Normally get it for eldest lad for Christmas. Although daughter came home with a load of the stuff you'd normally get in the farmers journal bucket from college last week, must ask her what the story was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Could be too late i thought i saw it recently, possibly a black friday deal.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Ah so they want people to subscribe to the printed version so that An Post or whoever gets paid to deliver them to our homes and then when we are finished reading them to wrap them up and use with a bit of kindling to light the fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

JP McManus returns to his plant hire roots in Murroe - Limerick Live (limerickleader.ie)

".....As a young man he worked with his father, who had a plant hire business. There are Limerick farmers, to this day, who can point to a ditch in a field and say, “JP dug that”. He has happy memories of coming to Murroe...."

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Advertisement