Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,160 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He never had real punch resistance. Fought a heap a nobodies and got knocked out every time he faced decent punchers. Gill not a big hitter, but just landed clean and often. MC was still standing at the end.

MC definitely needs to hang ‘em up. I said that after his last KO loss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Not sure what that's based on. Dropped a couple of times in the amateurs alright but generally took a shot well from what I could see. He stud in the pocket for large periods against Wood and took the shots well (obviously until the end). Tonight was different. Every shot Gill landed was wobbling him. Conlan looked an old fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,424 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I think the Leigh wood defeat really messed with conlan, he went off the radar for a while and wasn’t even sure if he was going to come back, clearly he shouldn’t have

The internet isn’t for everyone

He rode a lot a lot a Woods’ shots.

Even tonight, when he stayed cute and slick he was having success, albeit not hurting Gill, but again he was over-cooking on offense trying to beat up Gill toe-2-toe. And getting tired, getting hit and getting hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Conlan is done, not the career he would have wanted but could have been worse and hopefully has made some good money.

Their is no place for him to go now sadly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Padraig McCrory fighting Berlanga in Q1 of next year. I thought he might get a fight with David Morrell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,047 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

He always had very poor stamina on top of all that.

Yes. Stamina ok in a fight he was pacing, but always suffered when pace got heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I feel for Conlan. He was brave to keep going after two stoppages, unfortunately he should have retired a bit earlier. A really skillful fighter who didn't quite have the punch resistance to win a world title.

He did get further than almost everyone, but it is a bit sad that he didn't win one. I hope that he does retire, even if he feels his pro career was ultimately a little disappointing.

Further than almost everyone? Who? Fellow Irish boxers of this era?

I wouldn’t even see it as any point to make. 5 years fed very weak opposition. Given a shot at a B- level champion in Wood. Got knocked out. Then very quickly given another shot at a better WC, and knocked out.

• Advertisement

Almost every professional boxer.

Few are going to get a world title shot. Unfortunately he wasn't quite good enough to become a world champion, there's no disgrace in that, and it is pretty tough mentally to come close and be denied. You seem to be unusually happy he was beaten, there's a real glee apparent when you point out Conlan's shortcomings.

Like I said, not sure why you made the point.....could say same about many boxers who face weak opposition and who then get exposed when they meet quality

Not happy at all, just sure that I would get it right about Conlan as regards bein a good to very good pro. His own thread has plenty commentary pointing out similar. I guess we're all happy so.....not everyone's Sunny, like you!

C’mon, you’re clearly delighted he came up short, it gave you a chance to tell strangers in the web how you saw through the hype and were proved right.. A great moment for you.

Yes. Saw the hype, and was proved right.. one a my better moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

You do realise you're getting into what will be a neverending 'discussion' with the forum's attenion-seeking champ?

This is what he loves to do. Don't waste your time. All he wants is someone naive enough to interact with him. He will say whatever it is he thinks will trigger you in order to keep the thread going. It's pathetic, but what can you do.

If you notice a few of his posts back, he not-too-subtely passed the baton onto Paddy Donovan. He's the next one for the copy and paste treatement.

Owl megadodge, the forum’s crank. Still popping at walshb. Rent free, lad

Post edited by walshb on

I think Haney does a number on Regis this weekend

Garcia had a decent win over Duarte last week. Still a flash/athletic boxer. Very little real fighter instincts. Garcia will again be found out when he steps up

Haney had another hard time making the weight. Might be one and one at 140, then move to 147.

Ceremonial weigh-ins are daft.

He was quite a big LW. He’s bigger than Regis. Longer and taller.

• Advertisement

Andy Cruz on the Haney card tonight..

Full card (subject to change)

Regis Prograis (C) vs Devin Haney (WBC super-lightweight title)

Liam Paro vs Montana Love (super-lightweight)

Andy Cruz vs Jovanni Straffon (lightweight)

Ebanie Bridges (C) vs Miyo Yoshida (IBF women’s bantamweight title)

Amari Jones vs Quilisto Madera (middleweight)

Beatriz Ferreira vs Destiny Jones (super-featherweight)

Andy Cruz bludgeoned Straffon

Paro stopped Love

Superb boxing from Devin Haney. Won every round, dropped Regis and hurt him at least twice. Beautiful balance, footwork, movement, counters. Different class of fighter.

Had a feeling he’d shine. Will catch that later. Folks a while back telling me Shakur beats him handy. I laughed

9 rds in.....seriously, same old Haney really......Prograis is desperate. I never thought him great, but very basic and devoid of ideas and devoid of actual effort last night

Post edited by walshb on

Robeisy Ramirez lost his WBO FW title to Rafael Espinosa. Very good fight. Espinosa a big FW. Looked two weights bigger

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Anyone tuning in to see Billam Smith tonight?

I love the idea of the Riakaphore rematch.

Not a bad oul scrap there for WW. I’d think 97-93 for Cutler something like that.

• Advertisement

Ben Whitaker now. Awful prick with that ridiculous showboating. Hopefully referee fooks him out if he carries on

Advertisement