Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,623 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Probably posted already, from 2016 Census, but fascinating. Zoomable version

• Registered Users Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's interesting, its possible to work out individual major factories in quite remote places.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,391 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Not really. The nodes aren't individual workplaces or the destinations of individual commutes. Each one is the centre point of a geographically defined electoral division, and all commutes into all workplaces in that electoral division go into the same node. Similarly all commutes out of a particular electoral division are shown as starting from the same node, regardless of where they actually start. (Presumably, commutes that start and end in the same electoral division are not shown at all.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wonder if google could give a similar map, based on location data they're harvesting, of movements at certain times of day. assume any journey between 7:30am and 9:30am is a commute, and show that data in a vaguely similar way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OK, I am only vaguely understanding that, but around here, apart from big towns, there might only be one major industry in an electoral division, surrounded by nothing, so effectively you can see commutes to a particular division/industry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

This is fantastic, spotted on bluesky (I don't think you can post bluesky links yet?) From the user manaboutcouch (who's also on Twitter)

High Res relief maps of various parts of Ireland. The one of Dublin bay is 140 megapixels!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It might be interesting do a geographic analysis of Irish geography, planter locations and the like, and the effect on incomes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

This is a very, very short version of "the geography of hurling" by Kevin Whelan that shows a similar process whereby a very long geological process ends up explaining a cultural phenomenon: hurling strongholds. These areas are also one where landlords patronage of the game sustained it, and where the soil quality was much better and less rocky, mountainous, or forested than most of the rest of the country. I'm not sure but I'm betting the map here would look very similar to a map with larger farm sizes, larger landlord estates, or other such things. I'm also thinking it looks a bit like a map of the Norman conquest but again, someone might confirm who knows better.

https://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/sports-recreation/sport/wexford-hurling/the-geography-of-hurling/the-present-hurling-regio/

In the case of hurling though, there is a correlation but not a complete one. There is lots of good land in Meath and Louth, but the last well known hurler in those parts was Cuchulainn.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Known locations of bodies on Everest

Apparently there over 300 bodies up there.

Along with loads of waste (including human excrement) left behind by climbers (although I believe there are some measures in place to reduce litter)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The most googled dreams...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Map of the origin and destination of the African slave trade during the 18th and 19th centuries.

Prevalence of male to female domestic violence in Europe. Ireland scores well on this metric.

The surname Smith in various different languages throughout Europe.

Smith in Italian is Ferrari....and it is Kowalski in Polish!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The history of the world is the story of soil.

All politics is soil politics.

Look at the map of Europe's most populated areas, South England all over to North Italy, a lot of the best grain land in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

That'd make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,305 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I think this explains the North vs South divide in the abolitionist movement in the US better than anything else, a shorter slave trading route meant more/better choice of slaves and the only way to level the playing field was abolition. They dressed it up as something else but it was all about money, it's always about money.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Yes indeed... a deeply immoral and shameful episode in human history.

I doubt it. The journey was only a bit longer to northern states. Differences in agriculture, brought about by differences in geography, would be more influential than the length of the journey. Abolition came 50 years after the actual shipping of slaves was officially outlawed, although some smuggling continued.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Are you suggesting that the US abolished slavery because only the southern states could get the "good" slaves and those in the northern states were jealous? Or that they weren't making as much money so moved to abolish the trade? That's quite the take from that map.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭randd1

A fraction, or so I've read, of what we've had in the last 100 years.

Apparently still rife in Africa today, especially in sex slaves (Libya, Mauritania only abolished slavery 20 years ago in practice), and if you look what the USSR and China did in their gulags and work camps (not to mention regular workhouses) during the height of the Staling/Mao years, not to mention other countries such as Brazil, Vietnam, Cambodia and various other countries with questionable regimes/military dictatorships did up until recently enough with regard to zero workers rights and forced labour under imprisonment.

Mad to think that it's still a problem to this day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Well, I think you're comparing general slave numbers in the 20th century with slaves in transit in the 18th/19th centuries. That's not quite the same thing.

I think it was the Scottish explorer Mungo Park in his late 18th century book exploring the Niger river (during which he was enslaved for a couple of months) who reckoned three-quarters of Africans were owned by the other one-quarter. i don't think anything compares to that today. It was an endemic part of the culture there.

It's no wonder so many were exported from Africa - there was a ready-made trade there already.

(That's obviously not to condone the slave trade, or modern slavery, in any way of course)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Wexford town had a population of ~20,000 in the 2016 census IIRC which should put it on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Unless it's based on places with the most commutes. It does say it is CSO data.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Advertisement