Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm saying that your romanticised patriarchal view of marriage being a good thing for everyone isn't the reality and that for many it was a site of patriarchal oppression where women were expected to do all the housework and child rearing, where women were expected to give up their own independence, where women were subjected to financial abuse, physical abuse and sexual abuse. You do have a very romanticised view of marriage when you viewed having multiple children always as a positive thing despite the fact it may have been far from positive for the family involved; lack of choice, lack of contraception, expectations from society, conjugal expectations from husbands, impact of poverty on the family as a whole, the physical impact on women's bodies of having multiple children.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You keep accusing others of having a 'romanticised patriarchal view of marriage' and raising all manner of ills that were supposedly caused by marriage.

Maybe you need to examine your own baggage and hobby horses. There are a great many ordinary decent Irish families and indeed families worldwide that function very well within marriages. Marriage is not divisive, on the contrary it revolves around union of two people in both their best interests. I resist you twisting that basic idea. Hard cases make bad law.

Putting other 'durable relationships' on the same par as marriage is bad I would consider for couples, mothers, fathers and children.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭briangriffin

I never said it was good for absolutely everyone I have acknowledged the problems above you havent answered any questions just repeated the patriarchal oppression mantra. What historical period are you talking about exactly? Thats the **** thing about humanity historically times were harder because people werent morally as aware as we are today and technology didnt exist to give us all in the 1st world the cushy lives we now have. Men and women struggled the vast majority struggled together while the elites prospered.

What is patriarchal about modern marraige??

Because there are people in this thread who are putting forward a mythical idea that all marriages are loving, romantic, safe, caring and equal when this isn't always reality. I am merely challenging the mythical rose tinted view of marriage put forward by some here. Its not a perfect institution. It never has been. Resist away. Its a discussion forum and I am putting forward an alternative viewpoint as is my right. That does not mean that I in anyway reject all the good that marriage brings its more about balancing the discussion and acknowledging bad too.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭suvigirl

How would putting other families on the same par as married families be bad for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Putting other 'durable relationships' on the same par as marriage is bad I would consider for couples, mothers, fathers and children.

The reason the State has to recognise that families are not solely defined by marriage is because children born outside of marriage do not have the same protections in law as the children of parents who are married. It’s one of those things that simply doesn’t occur to people - that in Irish law the Family as an institution is founded upon marriage. That’s the way Irish law sees it, regardless of anyone’s personal views.

The referendum will make no difference to marriage nor have any impact on marriage, it’ll mean that the children of unmarried parents will have greater protection in Irish law, because the relationship between them and their parents and relatives will be considered in accordance with how Irish law applies to the Family. That only benefits couples, mothers, fathers and children.

It’s basically a recognition of something which has always been a reality, but was never acknowledged in Irish law -

More than two-fifths of babies (41.4%) or 24,172, were born outside of marriage/civil partnerships, and of these, 26.3% were to co-habitating parents.

https://www.cso.ie/en/csolatestnews/pressreleases/2022pressreleases/pressstatementvitalstatisticsyearlysummary2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭plodder

I haven't been following this thread too closely, but I heard an ad on the radio today for a new carer's pension to be paid by the state. So, they are able to bring this in, whether or not the carer amendment gets passed or not. I thought it was an interesting example that shows something doesn't (always) really have to be explicitly mentioned in the constitution in order for the government to legislate for it. And if that's the case for carers, why isn't it also true for non-marital familes?

So, I'm wondering can someone give me an example of a right that marital families have, and non-marital families don't have, and which couldn't be given to non-marital families because of the family's protection in the constitution?

If a couple were living together for many years with children and 1 of the couple died he or she would not be able to claim a widow/widowers pension

Terry Pratchet

There's an example in thread. A man who co habited with his partner for 20 years and had children together, was not entitled to a widowers pension when his partner died, but if they were married he would have been.

He took a case to the courts, who said he wasn't entitled to it because the constitution define family as married family only.

also, there have been cases of unmarried fathers taking cases to stop the mother of their child giving the child up for adoption, the courts found against unmarried fathers as they don't have automatic rights, as they were not in a family, as defined.

• Advertisement

Has that case been decided? Regardless, what is stopping the Oireachtas from changing the law to also provide it to co-habitees?

Right, but what I am wondering is, why doesn't the government just change the law to also provide it to long term co-habitees?

That case is about the interpretation of the relevant law, not whether the government has the right to pass a law to provide the same benefit to co-habitees.

I realise people are going to answer "because of the constitutional protection of the family" but unless there is an actual case to quote where they tried to do it, and were shot down by the Supreme Court, then I'd say there are good arguments why such a law wouldn't be thrown out by the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I'm very sorry to have to do this, I am not usually a grammar nazi, but the spelling of the word is marriage, not "marraige" as you constantly type.

Terry Pratchet

What about an unmarried father having no automatic right to his children. The case I referenced was where an unmarried mother was placing a child for adoption and the biological father tried to stop it. The courts held he had no rights, as he wasn't part of a 'family'

An unmarried father and his child are not family, as far as Ireland are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I was always against marriage, until I had a child and then I realised in this country you have no choice if you want to have any rights for your children. Mad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

What are the actual implications of this referendum?

What will actually change as a result of it?

Is the implication that modern marriage is patriarchal because women spend more time on caring and housework than men.

Is there any other aspect of marriage that is patriarchal?

Men do less care work and house work for many reasons - 1. Men work longer hours 2. Men do not have as long paid paternity leave or parental leave. 3. Men do not live as long as women and presumably the majority of over 75s carers are women looking after their partners. 4. Men are lazy and have done little housework in their early lives so fob it off on their partners - ie patriarchy.

all of these reasons combined give you an imbalance -however this referendum will not do a thing to address this other than offer the government some "tackling inequality" brownie points. As Roderic said "a womens place is wherever she wants it to be".

The assumption being that cohabitation has the same positive outcomes for society (men women and children) as marriage has.

• Advertisement

The point of the referendum is not to change anything about marriage.

It is merely giving families with non married parents, the same protections as families with married parents.

And to give anyone that stays and works in the home , the same protections that women who stay and work in the home currently have.

Will cohabiting couples get the same tax breaks that married couples receive?

That would be true equality and a move away from our outdated religious bias.

In 1982, income tax legislation was struck down on the basis that it required married couples to pay more tax than cohabiting couples. ( Murphy v AG)

That happened because of the special protection afforded to married couples in Ireland( based on marriage) once non married families are considered 'family' under the constitution, revenue will have to deal with all families equally.

my brother and his fiance reckon they are better off accessed separately though. I dunno much about tax implications

The constitution promoted marriage as the institution on which the family has been founded, the family being "the natural primary and fundamental unit group of Society, and as a moral institution possessing inalienable and imprescriptible rights, antecedent and superior to all positive law".

There are 2 ways of looking at the referendum.

1. It no longer promotes marriage above cohabitation as the fundamental unit group of society -
    2. It gives cohabiting parents the same rights as married parents

Its possible that both statements are true.

Hopefully families will be treated equally, but that means no tax perks for married couples vs cohabitating couples.

Well then, let the parents get married and use the well developed system of marriage..

As an example, we lived together as a couple for maybe 6 years - all fine & dandy. But once we started to discuss starting a family, we quickly agreed that the best thing for all of us, was to be married - a civil ceremony did the job.

What's the rationale behind putting other 'durable relationships' on a par with marriage in the constitution?? Maybe it's to lessen the rights of people?

There is always the option of taking a constitutional challenge to any revenue legislation, if it unconstitutional

Marriage as outlined and understood in the constitution is nothing to do with religion!!

Marriage is a civil matter, a legal framework. It's the civil part of marriage that is important - the religious stuff that some/ many couples want is just fluff.

Can you point out exactly how, giving other families the same protections as your family will lesson any of your rights?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The rationale is equality. This has been explained here numerous times now.

We're at over 600 posts and nobody can give a single reason to vote no on this.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Advertisement