Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

Not matter anyway Gowna are going to dominant for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

People said the same about Ramor a few years back when they won with a young team and then they said it about Crosserlough too.

Gowna have won two now. It’s hard to keep that hunger going in young lads who may want to travel or work away from the area.

Gowna are a different breed they are brought up to play football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭rrs

Gowna should be strong for forceable. A very good U20 team who should win the Final today. They produce a lot of good forwards. Shane Donahoe will be another addition to their Senior panel next year.

I don't think they'll lose any hunger for a while. They want to make their mark in the Ulster Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If making their mark means winning it, then it is a high ambition. No Cavan club ever won it.

• Advertisement

Or even winning a game, and taking it from there. It's a long time since a Cavan Club won a round in the Ulster Senior Club.

Leinster Junior final result

Milltown (KE): 1-9(12)

Glyde Rangers (LH): 1-4(7)

Arva will play Milltown in the All Ireland Semi , providing they win next weekend. But with 3 County Senior panelists and having played Division 1 they should be too strong against Wandsworth Gaels.

The National League fixtures https://res.cloudinary.com/dvrbaruzq/image/upload/fl_attachment/gxzfuaqr5rlruja4y1tw.pdf

The opening game against Kildare is in Dr Cullen Park Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Some interesting times there, Saturday evening games against Armagh & Meath which is great to see. 4 o clock on a Sunday is a strange time for the Donegal game - would TG4 be showing it? They tend to show alot of Donegal games, perhaps due to the Gaelteacht area.

On another note, this weekend’s intermediate Ulster Final could be interesting. Some Armagh people have told me Ciaran McKeever would show an accurate representation of how Cullyhanna would act on the pitch. They are not the most liked club in Armagh by the accounts I’ve received which is quite saying something.

Yeah they supposedly have a rough and ready approach. One of their former players Robbie Tasker was an excellent underage player with Armagh. He went off the rails completely,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Bookies have Cullyhanna 4/11 and Ballyhaise 11/4

A Cullyhanna desire to act the hard men could be a weakness for Ballyhaise to exploit.

Comfortable win for Arva. Barry Donnelly with another good showing. He should be a key forward for the U20s in 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Is the Ballyhaise game available to view??

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Threw away again with players trying Hail Marys when cruising and well in control. Like a lot of Cavan matches actually.

I'm sorry but why do Cavan teams always find a way to lose. That was one of the most shocking throw away of a final I've ever seen.

They were 4pts up and got too casual. David Brady was excellent but a very sloppy pass across the field and Cullyhana broke away and got a goal. Cullyahana had momentum then, and kicked a point straight after. Ballyhaise were the better team and should have been out of sight,

Tierney had a great goal chance in the first half which he would usually score.

Tierney was very poor I thought. He also had a mark in front of the posts and played on to kick wide. Ballyhaise must've missed 2 clear goals and they must have hit around 15 wides and butchered a lot of good chances. A real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Ballyhaise have a terrible record in finals in recent years but today was the worst, they had more than enough chances to win that game, very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭mogue77

You would still get it on Ulster tv.

Ballyhaise looked a much bigger team then Cullyhana, as they do in most games, they play. They have to biggest team size wise in Cavan. But they will rue that game today. Cullyhana play Johnny Doyle's Allenwoood in the Semi.

• Advertisement

I didnt think too much of Cullyhanna after all the hype about them. I would be shocked if they won it out. But maybe they are a fast pitch team?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Is that not doing Ballyhaise a disservice? I think Ballyhaise played really well and showed that they are a very strong intermediate team and that they play really good football and look well equipped to more than hold their own at Senior level next year. Such a shame they didn't take a few of their chances, they were well worth the win yesterday. Story of Cavan football really- that's two moral victories for club teams in Ulster this year.

Maybe and I dont mean to play down how well Ballyhaise played aspects of their game (bar shooting)

I just thought Cullyhanna looked absolutely clueless when Ballyhaise pushed on their kick-out and seemed to have no plan b for that. That woeful concession of the goal came at a time when Cullyhanna were completely out of ideas and had pretty much thrown in the towel. Suddenly they were in the game somehow, it was nothing to do with their own ability I dont think.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Very disappointed with the result but proud of the lads after a terrific year,

There was so many aspects of yesterday's performance that was so good, We were outstanding at midfield, on the breaking ball, and our kick passing was outstanding.

The negatives, were the poor mistakes, we lost the ball in contact and made lots of unforced errors, and like against Glenullin, our shot selection/ conversion wasn't good enough and we were punished.

If you'd told me, that If we took Aidan Nugent and Jason Duffy completely out of the game,which Evan Crowe and Brian O Rourke did and still lose,I'd have asked you,what you were smoking. Ross Mc Quillan unfortunately caused mayhem in our defence.

David Brady was the standout player on the field, his kick passing was outstanding,it was his best performance of the year, Eoin Clarke wasnt far behind him. Evan Crowe and Brian O Rourke won their battles well against Nugent and Duffy too.

I'd have to agree with Myles, I expected Cullyhanna to be better, a strange thing to say obviously as they won,but we dominated them and unfortunately, like the usual Cavan hard luck story, we didnt put that dominance on the score board and got caught.

Something for a promising young team to learn from, Playing Crosserlough,Gowna,Ramor etc next year will be a big step up, and mistakes and missed chances will be punished.

Up to that goal there was only one team winning. Their keeper's kicking wasn't great and Ballyhaise were absolutely cleaning up and dominating possession and setting the tempo. Cullyhanna came out of the traps in the second half with those two quick scores but Ballyhaise weren't rattled and went back to push hem them into their own half. One or two more scores at that point for Ballyhaise and they are home and hosed.

In fairness to Ballyhaise in terms of tactics (Eoin Clarke on the square totally threw Cullyhanna), how they played the game (always on the front foot and kicking the ball in) and the work rate they put in there isn't anything you could fault. The only complaint I would have was the poor return on shots and gallingly the two marks that they didn't take (one in each half) that would have been easier to take on than go for points from play. On another day Tierney plays that shot along the turf and it goes in. Also on another day that poor pass that leads to the goal doesn't pop up from the contact straight to a Cullyhanna player and leave for a breakaway goal. Small margins.

But I thought Ballyhaise were outstanding in Ulster. Once they got the Cavan title hex off their backs they really went at teams and showed so much attacking threat. Their footaball was a joy to watch.

They were 3 very good teams representing Cavan, and they all took Ulster seriously. Other years some teams might have been happy with the County title. Knockbride will be playing Division 1 next year and Junior Championship. Killygarry in Division 2 and Senior. Knockbride have good young players but have I don't think they have anyone on the Senior County panel. They should be thereabouts for Junior. Maybe if the Gearoid transfer is confirmed Swad will be boosted. Arva and Lacken will be in the shake up for Intermediate. Cuchulainns didn't perform this year in the championship but you'd imagine they'll be better next year and in Division 1. Cootehill have some good young players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Covid2023

Kevin Tierney played with a broken bone in his shooting foot sustained in the Glenullan match 2 weeks ago

Well that would explain why he was off his game so!

• Advertisement

You would wonder what he was doing on the field if that is the case.

Advertisement