Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

Looks like a trade sale on that leaf so it would be plus VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Basilio

Sorry, no idea, get Zoe for 14K+ will do the job. 😀

Post edited by Basilio on

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

There's a 2018 Nissan Leaf for sale privately for €12,950 on Donedeal.

Bargain hard and given the time of year you might get it for €12,000.

That's the kind of price you need to be aiming for.

Because in 3 years time I can't see much demand for them, apart from as a local run around.

That and they'll have strong competition from the Renault Zoe and Hyundai Ioniq.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There was a couple for 10k, Leaf 40s. As more and more folks realise chademo is gone, they will drop like a stone.

I have a leaf 24 as a third car in the family and it is perfectly fine for a runabout. I don't take it on long trips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

All the negative talk about the Leaf is getting very tiresome. We all know the limitations with regard to motorway range and CHAdeMO being a dying charger type, but aside from these things it's got few negatives (crap app, slow rapid charging, low to medium range), some of which are universal at the relative price point. If someone is asking about a Leaf, the done thing seems to be to tell them they should get a ZOE, Ioniq, or eGolf. The ZOE is tiny. The Ioniq is grand, but not easy to find value. I personally dont like the car style, but thats irrelevant. The eGolf is over priced by a long way.

On the other end of the spectrum, we see lots of shìt talk about Teslas, which are excellent value, extremely efficient and have great range with a superior charging network exclusive to Tesla. But, oh no, that company is run by a bigot and people don't like him 🤔. Unbelievable stuff ife been reading here.

The Leaf is a great car. Just know the limitations as listed above and in countless posts here and in other fora. It's also extremely reliable, spacious, practical and available at a good price in all battery sizes to 40. For people who don't need a long distance car....for those who will only use it to commute and do the supermarket shop and the school run, then the Leaf is a fantastic choice. I have a Leaf 24 still. I also have a Model 3, but lived with 2 Leaf 24s for 5 years without problem. Don't rule it out.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've an emotional attachment to the Leaf as was our first electric back in 2017, we're now on our 5th and the Leaf was bulletproof. I had a long commute and we VERY rarely fast charged so I think the CHAdeMO fast charging is being totally blown out of proportion.

At this stage the Leaf is predominately a city/short commute/2nd car so fast charging is all but irrelevant.

It's a great car

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Going forward, with the bigger batteries, I think most people will charge at home for the vast majority of their charging. I know mine is at home and work only now, since they started to charge crazy money for public charging.

As a result, as you said, the Chademo issue isn't really an issue for most users.

Also remember that 80% of more commutes in Ireland are easily handled by a 40kw Leaf with no need for public charging.

But a lot of folk are using it as a stick to beat the Leaf with.

I'm on my 2nd Leaf, it's a great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Some valid points but I’d suggest you should direct some of your annoyance towards Nissan Ireland. If they gave a toss about Leaf owners they should be making a Nissan approved CCS retrofit kit available at a reasonable cost. Tesla SC network has been partly opened up in the last few days if you haven’t heard.

• Advertisement

Nissan Ireland arent telling prospective buyers to look at other brands every time a Leaf is asked about. Its important that people know about the shirt comings, but it's more than that. Some people are directing interested parties away from a Leaf for no other reason than they wouldn't buy one themselves. I wouldn't buy a Zoe, but have recommended them before.

I don't expect anything from a car dealer/manufacturer beyond what I paid for and warranty. For me, the only let down with the Leaf within my expectations was the crappy app stopping working after about a year. I wasn't bothered jumping through hoops to get it working again because I only used it to preheat the cabin on a very odd occasion. I never expected a much improved CHAdeMO network here and a decent retrofit CHAdeMO to CCS retrofit is fantasy talk.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Nothing wrong with a Leaf once you’re aware of its limitations and it’s priced accordingly. Good value to be had on this one for example; https://www.donedeal.ie/view/35821831

Nissan Leaf

€8,500 The car has mostly motorway km. It got already few battery modules replaced, but it will need something like 3 more as its showing 4 weak cells. The car has few extras e.g 360 degrees cameras, partial leather seats or Bose sound system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

How do you know its had modules replaced and needs more replaced? By the way, as the owner of a Leaf with 62% soh and multiple weak cells, where can you get cells replaced?

https://www.donedeal.ie/carparts-for-sale/nissan-leaf-24kw-battery-pack/34393428 2013 Nissan leaf 24kw battery pack. Working perfect before its removal from car today. 10 bars remaining for battery condition which means approx 18.5kw remaining.

https://rangetherapy.org/

EV Range: New life for your Leaf

Eamon and Barry both drive Gen 1 Leafs. A partner in The Netherlands, Muxsan.com, provide a SWAP kit to enable any Leaf accept a different main battery pack . They are certified to install Muxsan kits in Ireland for all Nissan Leaf cars and eNV200 vans.

Main Battery Pack Swap

• 30kWh or 40kWh for 24kWh or
    • 40kWh for 30kWh or
    • 60kWh for 40kWh or 30kWh or 24kWh [these are rare birds]
    • NEW – Chinese Refurbished Leaf battery packs – 42kWh and 50kWh [coming very soon – first one installed]

Thanks. I was aware you can install new/used replacement packs and install extender packs in the boot but just wondering if the option to replace weak cells in existing pack exists in this country

According to Leafspy my L30 pack has 17.7kwh remaining so installing a replacement pack with approz 18kwh for over €2k wouldnt appeal to me as there is a risk this battery could already have / soon develop weak cells and Id be back to square one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

A slightly degraded 40 pack with 30-35 kWh would be a nice upgrade though.

It would massively improve the usefullness of the car. Only issue is cost. However may have to consider in near future if Nissan refuse to do anything about the issue as the car will soon be no use to me and worth nothing to sell on.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭yermanthere

If this is your first ev, and you're thinking leaf.

My only advice is to install an untethered charger, i.e. just the box in the wall.

That way you buy the cable type and length to suit your car, and if your car changes, the charger can easily change too.

Sound advice. Although a tethered type 2 can work with a type 2 to type 1 adapter. That's what I do with the Leaf. Do the 2018 models not take a type 2 plug anyway?

Stay Free

• Advertisement

The problem is not everybody knows about the future of the CHAdeMO network.

And that includes current owners and even people who bought one recently.

There's nothing wrong with giving advice that could save people a lot of money.

If people don't do any research on charging requirements and find themselves stuck because they chose the wrong car, that's on them. Maybe every recommendationshould be a Tesla if charging infrastructure and range are the top priorities.

CHAdeMO decline in favour of CCS is not new news. The advice being given is not about saving money. Every other car recommended will cost more money and will have more mileage and will be older on average. Depreciation on any of the entry level EVs mentioned after 3 years cant be predicted. By the time CHAdeMO starts to actually declie here, it wont be a cost issue consideration, because all the cars will be way south of 10k.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

They used to offer CCS upgrades as well for ~3k, I don't know anyone who went for it mind... If I was to upgrade my leaf that's what I'd go for over a new battery

While there's uncertainty about the CHAdeMO network you're just going to have to accept that they'll be people coming onto this thread to discuss it.

Go have a look on the Irish EV Associations Facebook group, just to see how many people until very recently had no clue that the CHAdeMO network was on they way out.

Also the advice I gave is solely about saving money, if you read my post you can clearly see I'm recommending a cheaper Leaf rather than talking them out of buying one.

The CHAdeMO network is already in decline, Ecars replaced a triple head unit recently in the west of Ireland with a CCS only unit. As of next year they've said they're won't be any new installs. Depreciation is definitely a current concern, especially when some car sales have priced in this decline while others haven't.

I have zero issue with people pointing out and discussing the short-comings of the Leaf, especially with regard to CHAdeMO. It should be discussed, as it's an ongoing thing, but people do need to do their own research on any car before buying.

I never said you were telling anyone not to buy a Leaf. It is however a recurring theme in this thread and in others where a Leaf is either recommended by another Boardsie, or the OP asks directly. I saw that you had earlier recommended a cheaper Leaf. My recent post was aimed at those point blank telling people to avoid the Leaf, which is a ridiculous blind statement to make. It just so happened that I had quoted your post, so I understand why you thought I might have been having a go at you 😂.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

I asked for a Leaf recently just to see how they match up compared to some of the newer stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Fair review @MarkN, and it's mad how everything is exactly the same as in the 181 we had. The tech that time was very good and the fact that it's still fairly up to date is great. I always liked the painless driving experience and good seating position and height and pretty good loading space for those IKEA trips. If you don't need it for long journeys it's still a dinger. And as it hasn't really evolved since 2018 one of the older cars bought carefully is a better buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

There was a poster doing his research a few days back which prompted posters to bring up the chademo potential issue. So they are doing their own research, and they're getting responses, which you didn't like or agree with. But you can't say it's on them to do their own research and exclude discussion boards from that research. Fact is, the leaf is not market leading anymore like it once was and there are very viable, and probably smarter, alternatives at all but the very lowest price points now.

You’ll have to show me where I said discussion boards should be excluded from research.

The responses I don’t like are when someone asks about a Leaf (or any other EV, but it’s mainly a Leaf) and the response is to buy x, y, or z instead. This is often done without the responder having any knowledge of what the posters requirements are. They project their own negativity of the Leaf when the car is probably a perfect fit for the person asking. Not everyone needs to do long commutes. Many people never need to use the public charging network, so CHAdeMO doesn’t matter one iota to them.

I have already said that the short-comings of the Leaf should be discussed, but sure you can take me at my word, or not. You’ve already misconstrued what I’ve been saying.

The short-comings of the Leaf24 are the reason I eventually bought a Tesla, which you can fact check on my post history. To save you time….The range on my L24 wasn’t sufficient for my commute all year round when I started a new job. I had actually ordered a Leaf40 which suited my needs, but they couldn’t guarantee delivery date which put a question mark over the final price and finance rate. The Tesla cost many thousands more and not everyone can afford that difference.

To conclude; I agree the Leaf is not the market leading product it once was. However, it’s still a perfectly capable car which would suit many people and offers better value for those use cases. I wouldn’t rule it out, even as a seasoned EV owner.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the 12 th man

For the Leaf "Bashers"

Just to add,I have a Leaf 62 KWH,bought in March 2021,120K on it,still has original pads and discs,never given a minutes trouble,only charge it at home as the range is 300 KMs + even on a bad day,battery still at full health,they're not a bad car.

Advertisement