Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,749 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Defending themselves since 1948 you mean, when they were attacked.

Defending themselves against all their neighbours, since the time of their existence.

I understand, you are under the illusion of Irish republicans that have made you believe that Ireland and the Palestinians are somehow alike, and your hatred of Israel is because they are the same as the big bad Brits.

It's not and you need to broaden your mind.

A training video that showed exactly no people stripped or kneeling in the street like you claimed. Something I had seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭jmreire

Not condoning what Israel's IDF are doing but how do you differentiate between Hamas and ordinary Gaza civilians?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Try this: About the Nakba - Question of Palestine (un.org)

And perhaps this: History of Israel - Wikipedia

I'm not saying your statements are incorrect - just that it is way more complex than "Defending themselves since 1948 you mean, when they were attacked".

Proved that gardai put people on the ground, lying face down. Which you claimed never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And so that will be the fate of the state of Israel.

Per my previous post. I read this a week or so ago and it was posted by another poster:

‘A mass assassination factory’: Inside Israel’s calculated bombing of Gaza (972mag.com)

The "power target" section tells you where this conflict seems to be going.

And here's a reference to Netanyahu supporting Hamas:

For years, Netanyahu propped up Hamas. Now it's blown up in our faces | The Times of Israel

Stripped to their underwear wand kneeling in the street as the point that was argued. It was not in the Training Video. They don't do that. However i'm not going to argue with you on this anymore as it seems futile.

• Advertisement

Rather than turn people against Hamas what the IDF are doing will swell their ranks and in a few years there'll be another Oct 7th when these angry young men strike again. Rinse and Repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

no expanding their borders and engaging in ethnic cleansing, attacking their neighbours and stealing land since 1948

i don't hate israel, i just want them to grow up and stop playing the victim while being the aggresser and then whinging when the consequences of their actions come back to bite them, that is all.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Very good question to which I don't have a direct answer.

I would say an ordinary civilian is someone going about their daily business trying to make ends meet and not causing any trouble. As regards differentiating a member of Hamas, or a least a member who is an active combatant, I really don't know. I'd probably whittle it down to (and this is very simplistic, I know) a Hamas combatant would not be anyone under the age of 18, anyone over the age of 70, female or disabled. Of course, there will be exceptions to that - a 20 year old female. I would certainly doubt the majority of the women and children killed so far are unlikely to be Hamas combatants.

That said, many of my female Israeli friends were in the IDF.

Good question though.

Stealing land after they were attacked and had to defend themselves in 1948!

That's what happens after war, territory is won or lost.

Israel have been in a fight for their existence since the creation of their state, Jewish people a lot longer. That people deny that, proves how much they need to look after themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The IDF are storming through Gaza, of course they are going to take losses but thankfully it is smaller than the many thousands of jihadis killed.

The more effectively Israel can win against Hamas, the quicker they can force aid through to the people there.

A few weeks more will see it through.

Hamas can always choose to release the supplies they have stored and stolen over the last 8 weeks.

They certainly were close to Hamas. For a region with uncertain food supply not one of them had seen a plate that wasn't overfilled in months.

Hunger is for the people not the activists of Hamas

You claimed... oh wait, this is futile.

There are a number of posters here who know what you posted and you came up with zero evidence to support your claim. That will continue to be the case regardless of what you post subsequently.

This is an article on the Israeli policy of subduing Gaza (subsistence living only):

Cage, Smother, Subdue, Repeat: Israel’s Gaza Policy | Human Rights Watch (hrw.org)

I only post these articles so people can choose to inform themselves of some of the complexities of Israel/Palestine. Or choose to carry on posting here in ignorance and post statements that do not do service to the history/politics of the region. And certainly do not do any service to the people that live there - on both sides.

nope, stealing land is not what happens after war.

military occupation for a time happens after war, but israel doesn't engage in simple military occupation but permanent theft of land and expansion of borders, then subjecting those who live in the land to military rule, apartheid and ethnic cleansing.

israel do the attacking, any of the countries that "attacked" it did so as they got intel that israel were going to invade them and they simply defended themselves.

israel have not been in a fight for their existence, that is just the standard hasbara claim, which even the generals involved in the 1967 and 1973 border expansion campaigns would tell you is one of many bogus claimsm made.

No - Jewish Militants attacked the Palestinians first and stole their land (1947). The war commenced after the British mandate ended and they left Palestine (Source: United Nations).

Facts matter.

• Advertisement

storming through gaza, taking heavy losses while killing very few actual gihadis.

israel are not interested in getting aid in, they are interested in expelling the population and stealing the land and expanding their borders.

the individuals stripped down to their underware were civilians as has been proven.

israel have lost the information war and will lose the war against hamas ultimately via the fact they will never militarily defeat them regardless of how many they rape and slaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭Odhinn

The acquisition of territory by force has been illegal since the 1940's.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

OK, but I'm curious about that statement you made of "Almost no israelis have been killed in the last 20 yrs.", unless I'm missing some vital context to your statement?

And we both may very well have similar viewpoints of the conflict, I don't know, but you can't just come out with a statement like that, which is so obviously untrue. Facts do matter in any debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Which is why Israel is seeking to eradicate Hamas from Gaza and thereafter hunt down its leaders abroad.

If Hamas in Gaza would release the hostages and surrender things could start to improve for Gazans. Calling for Israel to ceasefire without calling for Hamas to at least release the hostages at these marches is hopeless.

I think Hamas underestimated how ‘successful’ their 7th October attacked would be and therefore also underestimated the extent to which Israel would retaliate.

As well as all the innocent lives being lost what comes next for Gaza is a major concern. PA very reluctant to go into Gaza ‘on Israeli tanks’ and apparently only wish to do so if no Israeli security presence and Israel are saying they must have a security presence and/or a buffer zone apparently.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

OFF TOPIC: Ah, I had to Google it, about the rise of the Nazis? I can't get the first three parts on Player, (boo! RTE) but will watch what's left. Cheers!

any of the countries that "attacked" it did so as they got intel that israel were going to invade them and they simply defended themselves.

some serious selective propaganda beliefs there!

You think that immediately after Israel was declared a state, that all neighbouring countries had intelligence that Israel were going to attack them?

Seriously? In the aftermath of world war 2, the day Israel was declared a state, you think the Jewish people had been organising to invade all their neighbours? Really?

Maybe during the holocaust they were planning in secret to invade all the Arab states in the middle east........

Of all the complete crazy stuff that has been posted on here, this is one of the craziest!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,481 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Something getting a bit overlooked in all this is that the actions of the Israeli state, the IDF and the legions of semi psychotic fanboys on social media (who are frequently not Jewish and who therefore face no consequences) are making things potentially very unsafe for Jewish people worldwide, especially the ones who want nothing to do with the military action. At a minimum, it leaves them wide open to discrimination and being linked to the crimes of the regime.

The IDF won't give the numbers of soldiers killed in Gaza. Some sources (Arab) are saying that its anywhere between 450 and 1,000. Can't be confirmed. The numbers injured are put at around 5,000 with 2,000 disabled.

https://www.newarab.com/news/5000-israeli-soldiers-wounded-gaza-war-report#:~:text=At%20least%20420%20members%20of,according%20to%20the%20Israeli%20military.

Another complete waste of life. Herbert Hoover said said '' Older men declare war. But it is the youth that must fight and die'' He was right..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭jmreire

The trouble is you cannot, where one side is a guerilla force, and not fighting according to the Gva Conventions regarding soldiers being clearly identifiable. In my experience, and I'm not specifically talking about Hamas / Israel just now, but generally speaking, everyone from 9 to 90 can be a "Rebel". And while the actual fighters would generally be physically fit, and appear as such, the whole population would support the rebels. (And presumably the majority of Gaza citizens support Hamas? But there are stories trickling out about that support being far from 100%, but I digress) So the little old lady sitting in the shade is capable of reporting the location of the enemy, their Nrs and direction they are taking. Ditto, an 8- or nine-year-old can deliver a small bomb with a timer on it, and innocuously plant it somewhere the enemy will actually be or likely to be. And that's the reality. There was a song from the Vietnam War (Tom Paxton) goes something like this: - " Every night the local gentry slip by the sleeping sentry, they go to play at VC, in this little nightly drama, they put on their black pajamas' and come lobbing mortar shells at me" By morning the black pajama's were gone, and their dress was indistinguishable from the thousands of "civilian" Vietnamese. Same as Hamas in Gaza. The fact is that everything and anything can be used against you when you are the "Enemy " (in this case, the IDF, which is why they don't give a damn about any Geneva Conventions when doing a sweep to capture Hamas, and until its proved different, every Palestinian from 9 to 90 is a potential Hamas member. And that's how the IDF see them. So when I see posts on here about the IDF paying closer attention to killing Hamas, and avoiding the civilians, I wonder how they can do this? I'm still waiting for some one to show me the official Hama uniform.

• Advertisement

stop now. You tried to paint me as a liar. Gardai regularly put people lying face down or kneeling on the ground. You said it doesn't happen, ever. I showed gardai training, putting people face down on the ground.

I know what I'm talking about.

We are finished.

Advertisement