Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F*cking parking wardens

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭chrisd2019

Nothing unusual that, its an easy catch. Similar to the long abandoned yaris near to my home that gets both traffic warden and garda tickets almost weekly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Because that would expose the OP is full of it and the driver of the car in the OP is a complete dope.

That car is 100% parked on a yellow box. The fact that they were trying to squeeze through the gap in the two poles is immaterial, in the heel of the hunt they parked on the box, blocking access for anyone with mobility issues. I guarantee you, that's why the bollards were installed in the first place.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Took a look at the pay and display car parks in Donegal town and this looks like the spot.

If this is the location then yes its a yellow hatch box and the bollards are there to stop cars going down a pedestrian alley way by the looks of it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Not convinced that's the spot, can't see the drains on streetview and the car behind is either driving by on a road or parked perpendicular which is not how the above is set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Economics101

To quote OP: What a complete d*ckhead move.

I'd say if there is a d^ckhead in this story, it isn't the parking warden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,589 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Again, how did they manage to "crash" with the car perfectly straight, and the wheels beautifully aligned, on top of a yellow box in between two other parking spaces?

If they were able to straighten up and park like that, they should have been able to get the car out of there and into a legal parking space, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Christ on a bike OP, you see this scenario and you think the problem is the traffic warden.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Firblog

That's it exactly.

The archway (to the left of the computer shop) is to the right of where the car was located, so not blocking that pedestrian access to a private / gated walkway.

To the left of that archway are back entrances to a takeaway and a restaurant, not public entrances; I suppose the most accurate description of the boxed area would be a loading bay - although it's not marked as such.

So it's not a legal parking spot then?

You could have saved 3 pages of pointless posting by clarifying that when first asked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Mod note: Less of the personal abuse please. Warning given.

Where did I ever say it was a legal parking spot? I posted because I thought that it was wrong of the warden to have given him a parking ticket after he'd had an accident.

Others - who obviously lack any empathy for anyone breaks any minor rule no matter what the reason (and no doubt some are hypocrites) - disagreed, and they filled 3 pages on here displaying their character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭nachouser

I'd draw the line at F*cking them, but I'd maybe take a handy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We've been told by the OP that it was a parking ticket. No idea if it was for the yellow box parking, overstaying their time or whatever (because the OP is very limiting on the info they've decided to share) - either way the car is still parked illegally whilst on the yellow hatched markings!

My original point still applies - the warden was doing their job which is required because dickheads still insist on parking illegally. You clearly don't like this by calling the warden a dickhead and despite me previously saying that the car was fined for being illegally parked so I'm not sure why you think you've achieved a gotcha moment...

In addition, cars in public places such as a Tesco car park (for example) are still subject to most of the road traffic laws.

Either way, I'm not going to debate this nonsense with you any further.

The hatched markings may even be access points for emergency services. Nonetheless, the yellow hatched markings mean no parking so still the car is still parked illegally. Well done to the warden!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭raxy

When I was involved in an accident I waited with my car until it was towed! Same when my car broke down. Its not rocket science!

Whoever owns the car could probably get the ticket quashed but without knowing where they went nobody can say if they were right or wrong. Maybe he had to go find a phone to call a tow truck or maybe he decided its done now I may as well do my shopping & sort the car later!

There are no hypocrites posting either, maybe some people would park illegally but they'd accept the ticket & not blame the warden for doing his job!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

So its still a yellow box, can you clarify how long the car was parked there for??

Either way its not a parking space in a paid parking facility, if they stayed with the car then I would go ahead and call the warden something but they abandoned the vehicle there so the warden done his job. Or would you rather the warden not do his job and get into some form of trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

I got halfway through the thread and then jumped to the end to ask if we're all still pretending not to have figured out that this is definitely the OP's car. I'm happy to play along if we're collectively feigning obtuseness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,518 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's a crash, not an 'accident'.

https://x.com/RoadPeace/status/1733183292742967418?s=20

Ever heard of pushing a car? That's what often happens after a crash, to get a vehicle to a safe position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭HBC08

I've rarely seen a thread go so badly for an OP.

Amusing,would you agree you've come across as a bit of a tit here?

Maybe I've come across as a bit of a tit alright, but only to people I'd prob think are arseholes if I ever met them so not going to lose much sleep over it 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Relax it's not the end of the world.

I'd still love to know the full story as to how the car got there.

My take, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, is that there was a late night mishap.

The driver discreetly left the scene and went home to his virtuous coach intending to get up early and move the car.

Our hero overslept, the warden came on duty and that's where we came in.

Am I right?

• Advertisement

Absolutely bang on, you've totally nailed it, you'd nearly think you stood there watching it all happen, you psychic?

Really and truly ?

I'm not psychic and I'm often wrong but it's nice to be right some of the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That probably is what happened to be fair. A good bit of sauce taken aswell which made sleeping it off/ leaving the scene a good idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Dan Steely

I don't know, think it's a little jobsworthy to ticket somebody after they've had an accident.

If the car is parked on a yellow box, in a space that has bollards protecting it, it would suggest that the car is blocking something, so certainly IMO a sanction of some sort is merited.

This then leads to the age-old argument re clamping/ticketing vs towing - if it's obstructing something then it needs to be moved, really. But that's a discussion for another day.

As the car is clearly carefully parked (after the crash, obviously! but car is straight, wheels are straight) it could and should have been moved to a legal space if it wasn't going to be removed altogether.

Yes I think it's the most likely explanation.

It's a pity that the OP seemed to take exception to it for some reason.

Back in the day most folk who were into cars knew a local panel beater who had an "ambulance".

These lads were well used to a late night or early morning call from a distressed driver.

They knew the drill. Number plates whipped off, hitch her up and face saved all round.

They'd have the car back in their yard before the traffic warden got to his corn flakes 🙂

Obviously you're oblivious to sarcasm, the description is nothing like what happened.

No alcohol (i'd have no sympathy for ticket if there was), no night before, no going anywhere to sleep anything off or any other made up idiocy that comes into your heads.

Young fella going to work @ 9am last week - heavy frost the night previously - applied his breaks when parking as normal and car just kept on going STRAIGHT into the bollard.

• Advertisement

But that's not a parking space!

And the car was straightened up, and the wheels aligned, so why couldn't they have been straightened and aligned into an actual, legal parking space?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Photo of damage does not indicate a skid to me.

Car must have been reversing for this damage. Something like this, car driven past bollard over drainage grill, then reverses (perhaps at speed), driver misjudges space, hits bollard at wing/wheel arch. Bollard then rips through wing/arch and embeds behind bumper.

Pretty unusual for a careful parking manoeuvre on a frosty morning.

I am not psychic either, and may be wrong. That just how I see the damage occuring.

Ticket was unfortunate, but warden was not wrong to issue it.

Post edited by Kaisr Sose on

If that was a skid on an icy surface (big IF btw) then there was a lot of speed involved.

From my post earlier in case you missed it "any other made up idiocy that comes into your heads"

He was just used to his brakes bringing him to a stop before his car would meet with the bollard, this time they didn't; I can't speak as to the speed he normally approaches before applying the brakes.

I'm surprised there are so many experienced roads/crash engineers on here able to give us the benefit of their vast experiences, and that they are able to do so without ever having examined either the car or the place the accident took place puts me in awe of their abilities

(That's more sarcasm for those engineers who don't normally recognise it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

You do sarcasm just ike that driver parks...= badly!

Perhaps the car fell from the sky onto the bollard and that's the reason the bollard is wedged behind the bumper ?

Now thats me being sarcastic..

Post edited by Kaisr Sose on

Yeah that scenario is just slightly less ridiculous than your previous one.

Its a yellow hatched area which means no parking, young fella is completely in the wrong to park there in the first place. Parking warden is still completely right for issuing ticket!

Post edited by Kimbot on

As is the scenario you outlined (skidding into the bollard while parking)...just sayin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

Here's a scenario, driver parks on junction box and get ticket. Get in car and tries to drive forward but doesn't see bollard, hears the scrape as bollard pushes into wheel arch. Reverses, but it was too late, bollard catches behind panel and causes damage shown.

Warden's done nothing unusual

Not sure why there is a discussion about how the car got damaged as it has nothing to do with it being parked illegally.

You can be damned sure that the OP (or whoever owns the car) didn't go around the corner to the garda station and tell them about them leaving a damaged car in the manner that they did so why would they expect a traffic warden to offer a different view on it!

@Seth Brundle

That's not in doubt. OP had said car skidded into bollard while parking on ice/frost. From the second post on people saying that can't be so or how do you end up like that.....

To be fair, I think the Op has been leading people on right since the start with tidbits of information, etc. Even the thought of skidding as the OP suggested is just expecting people to believe your daft excuses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Trying to come up with a credible story for his appeal 😂🤣🤣

Agreed .... I recall a total reluctance to even share details of the location but some good detective work by a poster drew white smoke form the OP.

• Advertisement

Hugely difficult alright, believe he had to rig up a couple of super computers to run an AI version of Sherlock Holmes to discover the TWO pay and display car parks in Donegal Town, then he had to hack the NSA to get satellite images of the same car parks to see the ONE area with yellow box & bollards.

Good grief lads, I posted a pic of a crashed car with a parking ticket on it, and criticized the warden for giving it. Now if you think the warden was right - fair enough - I think he was a dick for doing it; and that was what the post was about.

Dunno why some of the posters on here seem to behaving like some kind of conspiracy nut jobs, coming up with scenarios - one more nonsensical than the other is beyond me, as to how the car ended up where/how it did; and really has bugger all to do with the point(lessness) of this thread 🙄 LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,365 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Are you certain that the ticket was put there after the attempted car-bollard humping incident? If the driver was thick enough not to notice a bollard, it is quite possible that they had been driving around with a ticket on the windscreen for a while too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭raxy

If you don't want the thread to grow legs why don't/didn't you give enough information for people to actually decide if the warden was a dick or not.

Who took the photo & at what time? The op doesn't mention time or where the driver was meant to be. It's clearly daylight in the photo but you say the driver was going to work. At this time of year its not that bright at 9am. Did the driver crash & go to work ignoring the crashed car? How long after crashing was the ticket issued & how long after that was the photo taken?

I'd say any warden would have given the driver time before issuing a ticket.

Was he a dick? Maybe but probably not!

Can anyone judge from your posts? Definitely not

Is it your car? Good chance it is!

I remember Donegal Town before there was a traffic warden.

It was like most towns were in those days.

Cars parked all day in prime spots, cars double parked, no place to pull in to make deliveries etc.

Motorists and businesses have reason to be grateful to traffic wardens.

Advertisement