Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Israel does not intend to simply eradicate Hamas:

'Erase Gaza': How genocidal rhetoric is normalised in Israel (newarab.com)

From the above:

"Moshe Feiglin, the founder of Israel's right-wing Zehut Party and former Likud representative in Israel’s parliament, has also called for the complete destruction of Gaza.

“There is one and only (one) solution, which is to completely destroy Gaza before invading it. I mean destruction like what happened in Dresden and Hiroshima, without nuclear weapons,” he said.""

• Registered Users Posts: 29,053 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

once again israel is not the jewish people and the jewish people are not israel.

i would advise against equating the 2 as it's a bad thing to do for obvious reasons.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,749 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well that fairly explains what is going on. Very chilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I would say a lot of changes. I've seen quite a few non Zionist Jewish people trying to warn where all this is heading. Many of the loudest and most deranged cheerleaders for Israel and the IDF on social media are not Jewish and will therefore face no consequences whatsoever in their real lives, no matter how extreme or unhinged their posts become - it will be left to ordinary Jewish people to pick up the pieces.

• Advertisement

Well put and like me, struggling for an answer. I do agree that nearly anyone could be a combatant for Hamas. But I can't see the entire population (9 to 90) being a Hamas combatant? And yes, I understand why IDF would do what it does.

As a slight aside, Perfect Sense, Roger Waters (1992):

"The Germans killed the Jews and the Jews killed the Arabs and the Arabs killed the hostages and that is the news"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

Depending on which sources/calculations you use, its likely that a plurality of the worlds Jewish people live in Israel. Jews - Wikipedia

So yes, your stance on Israel is very much overlapping with your stance on Jews by the simple facts of mathematics. And my stance is clear: I'm with the Jews and their right to exist wherever in the world they may live, including the worlds only Jewish state where waves of Jewish refugees have had nowhere else to go.

As for what happened in 1947/1948, the original Zionist plan was to have a very small state of Israel consisting primarily of Jewish-owned or unoccupied lands such as the Negev desert, with the local Arabs being welcome to stay in the new state, have the Arabic language recognised as a working language of the State etc. What happened after that was multiple and indeed ongoing efforts at varying degrees to eliminate the State of Israel and drive the Jews into the Sea.

Thusly in my view, what drives Israeli strategic thinking is the fact that they've been surrounded by mortal enemies since their founding, and that includes Gaza which became a terrorist military base within a year of them leaving it.

I'd be interested to hear your stance on Israeli Arabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

So you think it's ok for people to treat all Jewish people badly because of Israeli policy? Because it reads like you're excusing people for anti semitism. Which I don't think is like you, just from reading your posts

that was not the plan at all.

anyway, the jews are not israel and israel are not the jews, that is just a fact.

being the world's only jewish state does not equal representation of jews full stop.

therefore my stance on israel is not the same as, or my stance full stop, on jews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭scottser

Israeli intelligence services know exactly where Hamas active cells are, which is why they are happy to take out an apartment block and massacre a hundred civilians if they know they can confirm one legit kill. You can dress it up whatever way you want, but the Israeli government believe they're the fukn master race. They deserve nobody's sympathy, support or respect in this slaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Come off it, you were called on the the specific mention that the guards in Ireland regularly strip suspects to their underwear while they are handcuffed/restrained on the ground. The bold part is what people have an issue with and are still waiting on you to provide evidence of it of retract the statement.

The Lebanese govt told that they have 48 hours to start negotiating on returning Hezbollah back north of the litani River or the IDF will do so.

The idea that a massive and we'll equipped force of 7th Century psychos would be allowed cast terror over the North of Israel was never going to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

My understanding is that those who were OK with living in a Jewish state took Israeli citizenship, passport etc back in '47 and their descendants are a part of Israeli society. If they're happy to be citizens of Israel, more power to them. I'm sure their views differ and I don't know any personally, but I know the man who started Nas Daily is an Israeli Arab and he seems sound.

Even though a plurality of the worlds Jews (may) now be Israeli?

The IDF regularly give updates and name the IDF soldiers who have died in the ground invasion on Gaza. close to 100 so far I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,749 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

the IDF won't be returning anyone anywhere.

if they invade the lebanon they will get their arses handed to them again like they did last time.

this time it will be worse as they have a lot of resources in gaza currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,156 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

When I watch the continuing, unfolding, ethnic cleansing, daily, the thought that repeats in my mind is simply, does nobody in a position to actually affect this brutal regime care at all? Like nobody?

How have the moral, or ones who think themselves moral at least, nations of the world one from "Never Again" to just passively observing at best, and actively enabling at worst in little 3/4 of a century?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Which doesn't answer the question at all.

you believe the state of Israel, the day after it was declared, was planning on invading it's neighbours? Because that's what you claimed. Their neighbours only attacked them because they had intelligence that the brand newly formed Israeli state was going to invade them?

I would be interested to see any evidence at all about this

• Advertisement

If Lebanon and Hezbollah start a war with Israel, the IDF will not treat Beirut with the kid gloves it has done in Gaza.

It will cease to exist as a city. As would Lebanon cease to exist as a barely functional State.

They didn't take the last time serious and were under resourced, that's not the case now. Even that little action left Lebanon on the verge of the stone age according to one of their Ministers.

It is actually non-Zionist Jewish people who are warning that this relentless cheerleading for the IDF by unhinged individuals on social media is doing them no favours. I don't see a rise in Islamophobia in coming months, but it would be easy to see a rise in anti-Semitism.

There seems to be a clear attempt too by the regime and its supporters to link all Jewish people to the military action. Any Jewish person who dares criticise or question it is immediately labelled a "traitor" or "Judenrat".

Didn't answer the question. Do you think it's somehow justified the rise in antisemitism?

In the same way as racism is in the rise in Ireland, because of foreigners committing crimes?

lad israel got their arses handed to them last time they tried it on with hesbala in 2006.

all of the bombing and eventually a gurilla force forced them back across the border.

the ground invasion is being slaughtered in gaza as it is, their air power has a lot of resources tied up there also, they won't have the resources to be able to bomb 2 countries into oblivian at the same time.

even the US wouldn't be able to give them enough ammunition to do that without dipping into it's own stock pile which is not going to happen.

Absolutely not. I have never been to Israel, but have met several Jewish people over the years and even had some interesting discussions with a couple of them about Israel and its relationship with Palestine and how the country is perceived in the world. Another girl I got to know online had even served in the IDF.

Ironically, I suspect quite a few of the unhinged individuals I mentioned earlier who are supporting Israel probably don't even like Jewish people or Judaism - it's just another populist cause for them and appeals to their extremist and black and white view of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Ignacius

The rise is anti Zionism is certainly warranted. I don’t like to call it anti-semitism because not all Jews are zionists.

Most civilised people would think it Normal to be ‘anti’ a group committing genocide.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/05/world/middleeast/house-anti-zionism-antisemitism.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭jmreire

Nope, I doubt very much that Hamas has the full 100% support of the Palestinian population. In very much the same way that Putin does for sure not have 100% support of Russians. The big question is though, how do you tell which is which?

The IDF obviously can tell as they have dropped 20,000 smart bombs, they wouldn't be dropping them without knowing their target right?

But seriously, seeing as how the IDF haven't had a presence in the Gaza since years (was it 2005?), how would they know whose Hamas?

I'm sure it's a similar position to the US in Afghanistan with the Taliban and more recently with ISIS, but the US and allies didn't cause nearly as many civilian deaths as the IDF have.

I'm not trying to dress anything up or down, either for Hamas or Israel. I'm not for or against either side in this conflict, believe it or not. I'm neutral if it comes down to that. What's happening there has been happening for a long time, and I don't have either an explanation or an answer. And I don't think that the 808 pages and the 24240 posts have answers or explanations either. Just discussions and that's about it. Neither am I especially impressed with any intelligence service in any Country that fails to anticipate, despite warnings of an attack of the magnitude of the Hamas attack on Israel. So Hamas mingles with the "civilian" population, Israeli intelligence tells the government /military and they bomb buildings that it believes Hamas are hiding in killing many civilians, that's a fact, horrible as it is. The question is aside from discussing it here on boards, and expressing different opinions, what can you, I or anyone else do to stop it?

• Advertisement

About the bombing, had Israel being serious about bombing Gaza, there would not be much of Gaza left by now. This is not to be taken as support for Israel in any shape or form, it's just a fact presently, and is no guarantee that before they are finished, Israel may well demolish Gaza completely. They just do not care.

Had the Taliban or ISIS been confined to the same conditions as Hamas and the Palestinians are in Gaza, the killing would be the same. But the fact is they are completely different scenarios. In both Afghanistan and Syria, people could and did move from danger areas, Thats not to say that thousands of innocent civilians were not killed, because there were, but had they been in Gaza, with no escape possible, the death figures would be much higher. So, it's not like comparing like with like.

Advertisement