Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Underground

Noticing the new builds around Cherrywood, Carrickmines, and Delgany in particular have remained up on Daft for months now. Multiple open viewings in the case of the Delgany schemes. Do we reckon they are having trouble shifting these units?

Can't imagine much activity until next year at this stage anyway but maybe the effect of the rate hikes is starting to become apparent in the FTB market...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

In my opinion, a lot of new builds are overpriced. There is a group seven of them going in near my mom's house in Dublin 5. The average house around there will go for 5-600k, but these houses are listed as 875k each. To me, it makes little sense to pay that when it would be possible to buy a well maintained house nearby, invest another 100k into it and still spend much less than 875k. Obviously, new builds have a mark-up, but is that mark up justifiable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

🤣 I know the ones in Brookwood Park, unreal prices for 7 squished in houses. And they say southside is expensive 🤔.

Karen Mulvaney must be smoking funny grass when she priced them.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

I used to think this way when we were buying. Having bought a second hand house I now realise how misguided I was.

I think people massively underestimate the cost of bringing even a reasonably well maintained house to a good standard. €100k is absolutely nothing these days and would barely scratch the surface of a cosmetic job, never mind a full retrofit getting to the comfort of a new build with A rated insulation, new kitchen, efficient windows etc.

By all means buy an older house for the location/smaller estate/bigger plot of lands etc. or if you’re not too fussy and are happy to live with the decor of previous owner…but if you think you’ll buy an older house and get it looking and feeling like a new build in your own taste for less money - you’ll be in for a shock when the first tender comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭timmyntc

100k would barely scratch the surface of a cosmetic job? Unless dublin prices are 5x higher than rest of country, that is a load of nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,583 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've not spent 50k yet and the house is rewired, fully reglazed, new boiler, partial MHRV, new bathroom, new staircase, built in wardrobes; and much of that not done in a price optimal manner

100k would fully refit a normal house anywhere

General guides for a full retro-fit ranges from 1,800-2,500 per sqm. Assuming an average 3 bed semi of c120sqm - €100k just isn’t anywhere near enough. Maybe it can be done cheaply in parts of the country but in Dublin where the conversation started - good luck doing a half decent job for €100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,583 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm not in a cheap part of the country - the house is in the 01 phone code.

Those guides are not accurate, or are assuming back to brick and roof timbers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

That is impressive, I’ve just finished a job on my garage, no change out of €50k for wiring, plumbing for one en-suite, 3 rooms plastered and painted, built in wardrobes in one room. And I don’t live inside the m50.

Painting and plastering have gone up hugely in price over last 5 years in my experience, but plumbing and electrics havent gone up that much?

Is that 50k including partition walls for those rooms etc? And did garage have no plumbing or electrics before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Just one stud wall, the boiler was already located in the garage, fairly basic plumbing and wiring requirements, basic stairs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Compared the cost of a new build in a Dublin suburb with East Cork.

Similar materials, size and style, but Dublin house is nearly three times the price.

Buyers in Dublin are getting absolutely rode. I know people talk of "Dublin wages" but they're not x3 the rest of the country.

Fair points, however...

100k would do a lot for any house if we're not talking about major construction. My mom is having a bathroom redone, a downstairs room converted to a bathroom, insulation work and a new kitchen for "only" 80k, so 100k would do a lot for a house. Also, refurbished houses in Artane have gone on the market for about 600k, so it would be possible to get a house for a lot less than 875k and not have to do much with it at all. Given that location is the most important factor of a home, I can't really understand the jump in price.

Regardless, the houses in question will probably sell with no issues. At the end of the day, we're talking about fiat currency funny-money here, so there's never a shortage of that for some people :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Ive a family member who brought their house from BER of D2 to B2 and spent 15k doing it. It would have cost significantly more to bring it any higher.

I thought they were mad buying the house just about 18 months ago, but theyve done a great job on it

They are now going through doing up every room themselves.

Everything they did they learned off youtube. They had to get an electrician and a plumber for a few things they werent comfortable with doing themselves. They changed some windows also and insulated the attic themselves. I asked them how much the heating bill was last year and they said they had to get a new oil tank and get the boiler looked at and filled the tank in September last year and it has lasted until now and they are going to fill it again next week in case it runs out over Christmas.

The place looks like a show house now and to be honest when they were buying it I thought they were nuts. I really thought they wouldnt get away with less that 100K to get it back into even a nice condition.

They told some of the quotes they got from trades and they would make your eyes water.

Its a 160 square meter 40 year old bungalow and the only thing really left for them to do now is the garden and an ikea kitchen as she is not happy with the kitchen thats in there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

Indo reporting this morning on a slowdown in construction activity, including residential, with the forecast for weaker activity via a reduced pipeline of new projects.

In relation to current discussions -

However, national accounts data showed that the home-improvement market in Ireland has contracted over the past six months as building costs continue to rise.

Everything is too expensive.

So what happens now? Construction slows. Less available to buy? Do prices keep going up as supply tightens because building slows?

What a sh1tstorm.

It's almost as if printing trillions in funny money in the last few years whilst shutting down supply chains has had some sort of ill effect...

That aside, what will happen is that demand will continue to rise due to population growth, and if the supply dwindles further then prices will rise. If the state does anything to address this, the only "solution" it will offer will be to hand out more money.

The state needs to get involved in financing builds for social housing rather than buying after the fact, as the cost of finance for developers adds on a big extra cost to houses now.

The state have deep pockets and big surpluses, for them to forward fund developments would save a lot and bring costs down somewhat.

I’m not having a go at you here, but this argument has been given many times. The issue is not funding; it’s resources and manpower. The state could spend billions on housing, but there is only so much that can be built. There are only so many builders, and there is a finite supply of building materials available to build with at any time. There are construction sites all over the country, and most of these are for housing. Could the rate of construction be increased? Probably it could, but it wouldn’t happen overnight and it would only be a gradual increase.

Also, do we really think that the state wants to fix the housing crisis? It’s been a problem for years now, and it consistently worsens. The state has done little to help and much to make things worse.  

You misunderstand - I'm suggesting the state step in to effectively eliminate the cost of 'financing' developments.

The state can easily offer 0% finance in a variety of ways, they have the surplus funding to do it. Right now they are acting as just another consumer in the market, bidding for completed units at market prices. They would get better value for themselves and stimulate more development activity if they forward funded projects or bought off plans the units they want for social housing.

• Advertisement

Apologies for the misunderstanding. That said, even if the state were to directly finance building, it would not increase the supply as the same issues with resources would continue. It would, however, be a lot better than the state's directly purchasing property and thus competing (and outbidding) private individuals.

Agree, it wont fix the situation as of 2019 or even 2021, but now as rates and price pressures begin to feed in development itself is reportedly slowing down, so we may well have resources freed up but no developments as the cost of delivering a house is higher than most would afford to pay for it.

Interest rates play a big role in this, though there are many other factors too. Materials inflation has eased somewhat, but prices will not go down, just rise less fast.

SCSI latest report on homebuilding costs is interesting, 'sort's building costs are just under 50% of total cost of a building now. Thats all the non materials non labour costings, close to 50% of the house price. Mad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Half the cost of finance is for the acquisition of the land and not just the construction.

The financing of the land will be the cost plus profit (which in most cases will be to the same developer) that was paid to acquire the land. So providing zero finance on this is the same as just giving money to the developer.

Because most developers will have held the property in a separate investment company which they purchased the land from at a profit. the overall profit/margin (if you include the profit on the sale of land from the investment company to the construction company) is way higher than what is shown in the report.

Interesting. What kind of profit margin could a developer expect (in terms of percentage) on the building of an apartment block? Probably it varies from place to place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Villa05

I think ye missed the headline in the indo article, it would imply that construction workers are being let go. As I said at the start of the year the state should have had ready to go projects for this predictable outcome

Slowdown in construction as staffing levels now taking a dive for first time this year

Is this not what happens in the building trade though in December every year. The middle of Jan it picks up again. I have a lot of friends working in construction and there is nothing unusual about some of them finding things slow in December and January at all. Some of them even arrange their holidays for December and Jan every year. I think i would have heard from someone if there were layoffs, but i havent heard a dickibird.

How do you know that developers buying land from themselves is what is recorded in the SCSIs land acquisition cost figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Villa05

It's being going on for a bit longer

Activity has now dropped in five successive months, with November’s decrease the most “marked” reduction so far this year

• Registered Users Posts: 20,025 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

it all depends on what you want, i know if we went at it 100k wouldnt scratch the surface because i know how much money we already have put into a new build. If you start repaintng with F&B or Benjamin Moore paint and get it done properly you could already be 15-20k in, window dressings are a fortune as are solid wood floors, custom joinery etc etc, do a bit of a job on the garden and you could be 100k deep pretty quick. In fact id reckon my missus would do a good job at speccing a 100k kitchen, she has a nose for expensive stuff 😂

But equally if you arent as concerned with higher end materials, paints, craftsmanship etc 100k could go a long way (not for any rebuilding but as a general update).

• Advertisement

Maybe this is it - we got 7 quotes for a retrofit of part of the downstairs. Kitchen + one room. c100sqm total. Cheapest of the 7 quotes was c.€195k so the online figures estimates c€2,000 per sqm checked out for us.

New kitchen - €60/70k (probably could have saved €20/€30k off this with cheaper appliances)

Glazing - €30k

Floors - €10k+fitting

€100k gone before you even talk about underfloor heating, electrics, plumbing, painting etc.

Landscaping another fortune as you say.

Bathrooms seem to be about €5k-€10k a pop for a decent size also.

It’s pretty wild. I definitely know I envy those walking into perfect new builds even if they cost a bit more at the outset!

Advertisement