Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Fantastic win. We rode our luck and got some calls with the referee as did they. Surprisingly, I think the weather helped us more than them. They kept trying to go for the 7 pointer rather than take a straightforward 3 which killed them. It was always going to be hard to handle the ball in those conditions and they repeatedly spilled it trying to force the issue.

It was a genuinely superb defensive showing. They got the selection on the money with their back row. Dulin was superb but, from a Leinster perspective, that was the best game I've ever seen Baird deliver. He was athletic and confrontational which was great to see. The entire mess that led to the yellow cards was caused by Skelton sitting on and then kneeling on Connors on the ground. Baird was the one who went in to shove him off which was good to see. Skelton should really have been the one going to the bin as the original penalty was against him too.

Connors delivered a brilliant 50 minute showing. He did exactly what you want, chopping their big carriers down on the gain line. Skelton and Atonio had no joy whatsoever in the loose. But the entire team showed some impressive line speed to cut them down and halt any progress.

I was very happy with how Harry Byrne went in his time on the field. Had one kick that went dead. Probably doesn't go on a dry day but, as the commentator said, he hadn't put a foot wrong before that. Nice hands a couple of times (handling by all of our backline for the try was brilliant) and one brilliant banana kick that almost gave us a valuable 50/22. Frawley came in and did his part too. Probably not as accurate or effective in open play but his line kicking to clear was solid and the drop goal attempt showed good awareness (and was a great strike too). The last penalty speaks for itself. He'll get a start next week surely.

It was a fairly horrible game to referee with the conditions and the intensity so I'd be fairly lenient on Carley overall but I thought his manner was poor. He was determined to set down a marker and take no chat from either team but that meant that legitimate concerns were waved away too. He dismissed Ryan as captain after Ryan wanted to make points on Skelton at the breakdown and then Botia nudging Connors into an airborne Harry Byrne. In the second half, Colombe took head contact from Kelleher and went down at the side of the ruck. Colombe highlighted it and was told to go away. He made a meal of it but it was probably worth looking at.

I think it was fairly clear that Nienaber has had an impact already in how we're trying to play. There were reports that Leinster spent a lot of last week repeatedly practicing how quickly they could shoot up in a line and that was evident yesterday. Need to back it all up next week now. The next 5 weeks are still huge for the season but I don't think we could have asked for much better than the last 3 matches.

Hugely satisfying win, and an absolutely brilliant defensive performance.

Ryan Baird for me was MotM - he was superb. Even late in the game he was sprinting hard off the line and smashing carriers - absolutely love to see it.

Hopefully this finally puts to bed the nonsense that Leinster can’t do it physically against the big teams. They don’t get any bigger than LAR and the conditions suited them perfectly.

Would love to see LAR go and get stuffed in SA next week now too…

Also, Ala'alatoa deserves a lot of praise. 80 minutes in a heavy pitch, multiple scrums and a 130kg loosehead coming on against you.....he must have had to go to a dark place out on that pitch to get through it!

I would happily, happily see La Rochelle go out in the pool stages. I don't ever need to see Leinster play them ever again. They've games now away to Stormers, home to Leicester and away to Sale. The away games will both be tricky alright. I have no idea what the permutations are or how many wins you would expect to need to go through. If their Top14 struggles continue you'd wonder if they'll focus on that later in the season.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I'd imagine one win and some losing bonus points should be enough for a team to progress in our pool. There are no real whipping boys so teams will take points from one another. 8 points should be enough when 4/6 progress.

A five pointer against Leicester will probably be enough combined with three losing BPs. But that would put them as a lower seed and on the road for all of the knock outs which will be tough for them.

I'd happily see them miss out entirely though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The trip to South Africa will be tough - Lots of travel , a 6 day turn-around and a huge change in conditions.

Going from playing in the cold lashing rain to probably ~30 degrees next Saturday isn't easy and the Stormers are going to want to front up having lost away to Leicester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Will La Rochelle send the squad team to SA because of the focus they need to put on top 14?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,794 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i dont think they can afford to now. lose out there and they are in a sticky situation. Away to sale isnt easy for anyone

Stormers heavily rotated for their trip to Leicester so they’ll be gunning for La Rochelle.

I can’t see ROG sending a weakened team to SA though, this competition is just part of his DNA.

The kick which went dead was a funny one, he kicked it down a La Richelle players position, the La Rochelle player made a mistake and didn't catch it and the ball raced across the surface and went dead. In reality if the La Rochelle player didn't make an error it was a decent kick....

Also it wasn't a huge kick but the way it hit the surface it actually seemed to pick up speed rather than slow down.

• Advertisement

ROG is under serious pressure after a poor start. I think they will end up sending an ok team but not full team. I cant see the big lad flying

They have Stade and Toulouse straight after in the Top 14. Two huge games

A guy like Michael Ala’alatoa, who comes in for a huge amount of disrespect from Leinster fans who should know better, deserves enormous praise for his performance yesterday.

Scrums were still a mess but when we needed to he locked those out too. His performance around the park was immense. To do 80 mins in those conditions against those utter bruisers is phenomenal. He was all over the park, making tackles, carrying and hitting rucks. Huge game for him.

I absolutely love seeing Will Connors chop Skelton at the knees time and time again. Skelton, as usual, was involved in every bit of niggle in the first 40 mins, and never seemed to take the grin off his face. He was nowhere to be seen as the game went on and he just saw himself cut down time and again. His energy was gone by 50 mins.

Every single Leinster forward had a huge game yesterday, but for me Ala’alatoa, McCarthy, Baird and Connors were top of the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭StormForce13

"Skelton, as usual, was involved in every bit of niggle in the first 40 mins, and never seemed to take the grin off his face. He was nowhere to be seen as the game went on and he just saw himself cut down time and again. His energy was gone by 50 mins."

A yellow pack Quinnie - on stilts! It's very easy to see why ROG and D Ryan love him!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,794 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i wonder what happened with lowe to be ruled out of selection during the week?

still yet to hit his straps after coming back from an extended hiatus?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Dropping Lowe into both finals against LAR with no gametime ended up being a massive mistake. I'm sure that played into it.

Yeah, that’s the thing. He’s so easy to hate as an opposition player, and he’s basically been Leinster’s kryptonite, and still I can’t but help to like him. Incredible niggly player and master of the shithousing, but an absolutely incredible player at his best too.

Still would much rather not have to see them again this year.

Skelton leaves it all on the field, I really like him other than when he's playing Leinster. When Ryan went down in the final last season after getting knocked out, while the game was still ongoing Skelton stopped playing, knelt over Ryan to protect him getting from trampled, and called the attention of the ref. Have to respect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭conquestscarer

Skelton was shocking yesterday. Gave away about 5 penalties in the first half, and had zero impact on the ruck or carrying. He only seemed interested in lying on Leinster players on the ground. He looks far past his best, as he has the last 5 times I've seen him play. Was lucky not to get a yellow card for grabbing JGP's leg after conceding the ruck penalty, then lucky again as he conceded the penalty again for going off his feet at the next ruck. He looks slow and old at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The try was really well executed. Lovely cut out pass, Bryne taking out two defenders with a subtle movement, then JOB throwing a 10m pass in the pissing rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭PMC83

I think you are confusing 'a huge amount of disrespect' with occasional, warranted criticism. He was solid yesterday and has been a good squad player for us, he has let us down on occasion (the final is one that sticks out) and fans have called it out. Fans will do this. I can't say I've seen anything that fell under disrespectful though? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Given the choice of making the ERC QF/SF or the Top14 knockouts the club owners will pick the Top14 every single time , it's where the money is.

They are 9th and have a big run of games in the Top14 coming up - They aren't going to send the full squad to SA next week .

They were banking on winning at home..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

what are you talking about

it was an ok performance, not a great game, LAR didn't offer much and Leinster the better team, as I said before the game

whatever else you are trying to say is nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I see a lot of you saying you'd love to see LA Rochelle go out. I don't think the team would want that. They just beat them and I'm sure they'd relish the opportunity to face them again in the knockout stages and beat them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭OldRio

One of the best Leinster performances in Europe I've seen in a long time. What a defensive effort.

Sometimes in weather like that it's best if you don't have too much of the ball. To win in that manner was putting a marker down to others.

Congratulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'm one who criticizes big Mike. I don't think I'm wrong but, he did very well yesterday. Massive performance.

I wouldn't say the match was a classic. We fronted up and finally beat them and we matched them physically. In saying that, it's obvious that La Rochelle are a team that just monsters the opposition. That's the plan! There's no plan B. The backline is good, not game changing and you can see why Toulouse have their #.

Last seasons final would have had a different outcome had we not lost Ryan, imo. Those are the breaks though. Ryan put in a magnificent shift yesterday, all out physical effort. He is so undervalued, imo.

Stormers can put these lads to the sword. I personally think it will be tight and Stormers nip it in the end.

Skelton is making a mockery of the breakdown. Forget the flopping on players, how is he not penalized for constantly off his feet? It's bizarre!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Well said TRC! One of the great wins indeed for Leinster. I too am optimistic about the end of the season.

I was only thinking at full time that you must have a massive smile on your typically jovial face at such an inspiring performance.

Your optimism really brings out the best in us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭StormForce13

It reminded me of Ulster's heroic efforts in La Rochelle last season where, in similar (or even worse) weather, they led La R until the 80th minute, only to lose at the death, 7 - 3.

Advertisement