Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I still maintain without heavy bombers, Israel are limited with the bombs they can drop. They only have fighter bombers.

Even in Mosul, half the population left, but the remaining population was equal in population density to Gaza, despite that the civilian death toll was 3200 from the direct bombing in 9 months, far short of 18,000 in 2 months in Gaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gallant wanted to launch a pre emptive strike on Lebanon in the days after October 7th. This is the guy you said was favourite to take over in Israel. Was that factual or just wishful thinking on your part, I ask because the way you describe the war in 2006 is clearly a flight of fancy due to your pro Israel stance. If you were able to take off the blinkers for a bit you'd acknowledge the war ended in a stalemate with Israel retreating. The truth is both Israel and Hezbollah have avoided going to war since 2006. IDF personnel have admitted another war against Hezbollah would be far more difficult than the current war against Hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What do you mean start a war? Israel is already bombing Lebanon.

Are Lebanon not entitled to play the victim card, or is that something only Israel can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

I agree with that other than the proposition that the other Arab countries in the region care about the Palestinian Arabs. Unfortunately I've seen no evidence to suggest that those countries have anything other than contempt for the Palestinian Arabs. All I've seen is their willingness to use them as a pawn and a callous disregard for their lives and wellbeing that is as least equal to the callous disregard of the Israelis. That is the sickeningly hopeless reality they face.

It's low level skirmishes still. Both sides are seemingly content not to escalate it to full scale war so far. If Gallant had his way about the pre emptive strike it might have been a full scale war,but he was overruled by his own cabinet thanks to US pressure. Had that happened the usual suspects would have spun it rather than lay the blame at Israel. As it is Hezbollah fired the first rockets, so you can't blame Israel for responding. What you can blame them for is deliberately targeting Journalists in Lebanon. This will of course be denied by the same people, if that doesn't work then it'll be it was rogue IDF members , anything to absolve the IDF of blame.

• Advertisement

The reality is that no other country in the region cares about the Palestinian Arabs and internationally there's no up side for opposing Israel.

As for "Never Again", we've had Rwanda, East Timor, West Papua (that and East Timor conducted by the Indonesian Government which is now criticising Israel and accusing them of genocide), the Ethnic Vietnamese in Cambodia by the Khmer Rouge, the extermination of 150,000-200,000 Maya Indians in Guatemala in the 1980's (by the US backed Government), The Marsh Arabs in Iraq by Saddam, and of course China in Tibet and what they are doing now. Hardly a word about any of them and certainly not the same noise from the UN but they aren't that interested in the 100,000 dead Arab children in Yemen because that's another war where there's no up-side in caring about the victims.

Post edited by Ulixes on

Welcome to the world of geo politics and glaring double standards. You have listed various war crimes, you should know the side I support make "mistakes"only they don't commit war crimes, that's why I can call out others for committing war crimes without a trace of irony

• Registered Users Posts: 5,522 ✭✭✭brickster69

From Israel's social media influencer. I thought you could not say things like that ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 51,749 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don't believe that anyone is neutral in this. It has been described as Genocide by every agency working there. Nobody can be neutral to Genocide. Its either for it or against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He is just having some fun, and defying the fash and mocking their chant all in one.

• Advertisement

MSF doctors reporting 5 year old children coming to them starving and crying and asking to be dead?? The children can't take any more of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Well the "disregard" is hardly equal to the actions of the Israelis, they are not bombing them, dehousing them and starving them out after all.

I never said they care in that post, not the leaders of the countries anyway.

I think the feeling of public there for Palestinians is genuine.

Leaders of countries "caring" is not the same as further hatred engendered now by what Israel is doing potentially being useful to the wrong types of leader (and dangerous) in future.

Jeffrey Sachs on ethnic cleansing, Genocide convention and complicity. ( 15 minutes onwards )

Post edited by brickster69 on

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

I'd like to see Gallant take over, he is most likely to replace his arch enemy Bibi and be PM in time.

He is pragmatic but focused on goals as well.

Israel arguably got a kick in the ass in 2006, underprepared, troops not resourced properly, constrained in how to fight. It still hit Hezbollah very hard and brought Lebanon to the edge of collapse.

Now, Lebanon is verging on failed State, no senior job can be filled unless Hezbollah put one of their own in, so the country is rudderless, the economy on life support and directionless.

Hezbollah certainly are a very capable. Large and well resourced force, a real threat and fighting them will be costly and brutal for Israel.

Yet that is precisely why they must be shoved back from the border, you can't have a force that size, committed to the extermination of yids, fags and whores etc etc ready to come over the border.

You and a few others here might find that prospect tantalizing but the aforementioned are not willing to go along to be slaughtered, the turnout of women of women to fight in the IDF is at an all time record, they know what they are up against and what the likes of you would be willing to let happen to them.

Forcing Hezbollah back to a distance will probably cost thousands of Israeli lives, it will also mean that Beirut is an empty ruin, that every facet of the Lebanese state is hit, that everything related to Hezbollah is hit, that 30km from the border becomes an empty buffer zone. Lebanon will probably end as a State, not far of it anyway.

The care shown in Gaza will not be applicable due to the speed and urgency of stopping hezbollah.

What choice does Israel have if Hezbollah do not pull back. None, at all. Waiting for an attack is not peace.

Lebanons only chance to survive, regardless of Israel's needs is that they destroy Hezbollah, who are intent on completely controlling it and largely do already. The other groups in Lebanon need to join in the fight or just quit and hand over everything to Hezbollah and get it over with.

Hezbollah launched the rockets.

Lebanon are a victim of Hezbollah as well.

Hezbollah are in control of most of Lebanon and are one finally push from not even pretending to share power.

The Lebanese army and other groups in that society must avail of this opportunity to rise up against Hezbollah and destroy them once and for all.

Either that or just make Nasrallah leader of the State and make it official.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

That is genocidal. Israel lies that the phrase "from the river to the sea" as used by supporters of Palestinians calls for genocide. But here they are unironically and genuinely using the meaning they themselves have mendaciously ascribed to the phrase.

That tweet is a chilling propaganda call for the extermination of the entire Palestinian population. It is Nazi-like.

I didn't say that they were equivalent.

The feelings of the public here for Palestinian Arabs is genuine. It's the lack of genuine concern for those suffering as badly or worse in other conflicts that puzzles me.

I don't think there is anyone here who doesn't care about and acknowledge the suffering which is being endured by the population of Gaza. I think most people regard the actions of the IDF as, as the very least, disproportionate. The disagreement comes in the discussion about the culpability of Hamas for originating and then sustaining the conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,156 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Of course, but since this thread is to do with the current Israeli ethnic cleansing of the Palestinian people and the moral West doing nothing I didn't feel the need to cover every example (current and historical) to ask the question.

That the world leaders don't care or that there is no political upside to doing the right thing is the problem, not the answer.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think there is acknowledgement of the suffering of the public in Gaza in the public and on this thread. I think the main point of contention though on this thread is that alot of pro-Israeli posters are not calling on the Israeli government to cease their actions or even change their methods that is causing these disproportionate casualty rates. There is still plenty of posters using the phrase "this war" or referring to past wars to justify the casualty rates.

In my opinion the current Israeli offensive is 1) not in the medium term interest of Israel, 2) is resulting in grossly excessive civilian deaths and 3) will not destroy Hamas.

For those reasons I think that Israel should cease or significantly change it's tactics.

It's hard to know what the best alternative is as they cannot leave Hamas intact as a political or military organisation but what's happening now is a disaster for all concerned.

• Advertisement

My question is why do people expect the world to care about this conflict when we have shown little or no interest or care in other far bloodier recent conflicts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

It was public in Arab world, in Israel's neighbours in particular, I was referring to, rather than us (and other people less affected by this).

As regards the prominence of this particular conflict vs others, well of course it involves the US (as Israel's backer, and trusty shield no matter what they get up to), the Jews, the Holocaust (indirectly), a piece of land which is also very important to the big 2 religions of the world etc. etc.

There's a whole load of stuff mixed up in it making it attractive for all kinds of people who really have no stake at all in it (e.g. Evangelical Christians in the US, the far left types that view the US as the root of all evil) to "glom" onto and pay attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭jmreire

Grand, now tell me what exactly what you plan on doing about it, except from expressing outrage at Israel here on Boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

David McWilliams wrote an interesting article recently about how both sides have been very good at publicising their case in the western media and making it a mainstream talking point. The other bloody conflicts are receiving much less coverage because they have no nobody to advocate for them and the media in the West is far less invested.

The likes of me.. Unlike you I am not an apologist for either side. You continue to post the IDF line verbatim despite this being a war and the IDF having a track record of being less than truthful. You also downplay the murder of civilians because you place more value on the lives of Israelis than you do of Palestinians. Describing the IDF of having taken great care in Gaza is perverse when you see the amount of civilians that have been killed in Gaza.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

That's a cheap shot. Exactly how are those against Israel's action realistically going to stop them doing this? Unless someone here is a senior representative of the US government nothing we say or do will have any effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

There is something we can do as consumers and that is to boycott Israeli products, this app should help those who want to avoid purchasing products from companies with links to Israel.

Perhaps if enough people boycotted Israeli products and companies Israel would be forced to suspend the current genocide of Palestinians due to their economy not being able to sustain the cost of their current occupation of Gaza.

Unfortunately, I don't believe the app is available on Apple due to Apple removing it from their app store.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

I've done what I can. Donated to MSF. Telephoned the US embassy and the Israeli embassy and encouraged others to do so. Not much else I can do but if anyone comes up with a good suggestion then i'm all ears. What have you done?

UN General assembly vote on Tuesday on a ceasefire. We will see if anyone else want's to be looked upon as a pariah state.

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement

Excellent suggestion. I'll check the names of products they supply.

Advertisement