Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

An taisce is fully of anti farming campaigners if you’re on twitter their head of advocacy is completely and utterly anti farming, vegan bs etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

A very wise man said to me once that the man that's adapts the fastest does the best.so while at the very least there is a strong possibility that derogation will go and we will all have to go to 170 the question I,really think that should be asked is how will you adapt.i personally think the days of plenty nitrogen surplus baling and cows being fully fed at grass for extended periods with bought in ration are gone. I see a model with feed coming from maybe cows spending the same number of days at grass but spending alot more nights inside and feed coming in from outside blocks or contracts with other farmers to supply feed and slurry returned to that land.or we reduce stocking rates on grass only farms in line with available nitrogen levells and run ultra low cost approaches

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

I'd rather read that you have just said than doom and gloom. as regards an taisce,I'd say there are very few farmer members anymore. taken over completely by johnny come lately cranky vegans. an evil entity.

The price of land will have to come down too in accordance with that, most fellas on rented platforms are working in derogation surely their margin will be eaten into significantly operating at 170 to a point where it hardly would be viable for them anymore have heard from a few at it they will just break leases if dung hits the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

If @ 170 you would have surplus grass available, so the obvious thing to do is grow crops on some of the land and reduce purchased feed.

• Advertisement

The latest from Teagasc is that reduced stocking rates are more profitable. Get rid of the bottom 10% of the herd and cut back on purchased feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Good man KG!!

This must be THE most depressing forum to read of late and it’s great to see someone with a proactive attitude.

Solutions are what are needed, not pointing the finger of blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Tbh I don't know. The financial return if it goes back to 170 I would find difficult to see being worth it. All our cases will vary but I have to invest in the yard whether numbers go up, down or stay static and the lower sr makes it difficult to do.

Re invest, pay for a bit of part time help and have some decent wage out of it, if I can't do all 3 I dunno what way I'd go

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The trouble is the goalposts are continually being moved. Several local farmers are going taking land kms away to be compliant with nitrates with the intention of growing maize to get the value of the land paid and to keep the home stocking rate and facilities used.

Now there's murmurings of a distance clause being brought in re nitrates and land leased. So that avenue may be closed again.

It's all being made up as it's going along that's no way to run and plan for a business in the future.

If a multinational was looking to invest in the country and hit with the changing goalposts of the dept in charge they wouldn't bother investing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

We're nearly at the point of recommending getting a job with Teagasc to advise your own farm on how to be profitable, is recommended on how to be more profitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Wasnt the previou advice to high stock high profit teagasc are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Ar

We are operating just under the 170 and have no intention of going over. Been there, done that and would never want to go back. We were always chasing out tail. buying beet, maize, big fertilizer bills, bad weather was a disaster, Now even this year with the poor weather it did't really affect us.

Milk yields and supply increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭green daries

How much would it be worth 70 to 80 an acre to lease 🤔 forget the payments.......that would be a big change

They haven't changed the advice sooo ......... lol

Grand job I need ground to future proof ivo 20 acres finished a 5 year lease he wants 350 an acre I had it all reclaimed etc etc. Now remember I still need more ground and a mate* is asking 325 for ground that has been ruined for years. Plus he thinks he's entitled to a cut of some single payment ......even though the last tenant went with his payment so he doesn't have one......... there's a good lot of older lads making noise about retirement. Because of the poor year old age and the need to cut numbers. that won't be rented it will be a lock of bullocks or such. Now that's at 220 .............at 170 your talking about complete carnage nothing else. ......on top of all that as has been said repeatedly there's no stability in sight only more changes. ....so no piss off with the lark about positivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭straight

We are all going to adapt in our own way, be it cutting back, retiring from dairying, buying land or renting land. Everybody's situation and personal circumstances are different. It seems that some farmers consider (cutting numbers or deciding to call it quits and do something that fits your circumstances better) as complete failure and negativity.

On the other hand I consider enriching armchair farmers and running faster to stay in the same place or go backwards as complete lunacy. That is what I consider a negative thing to do. Some farmers don't even want to cut the bottom 5% and they are willing to pay whatever it takes to keep them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

On the money …..there’s an afull fascination among farmers as to what’ everyone else is doing or trying to keep up with poster farmers and they have to follow advice to the letter ….cutting cow nos seen as shameful and embarrassing ….never got it ….all for going to farm walks and events but more so to see how those farmers do different aspects of running a farm ….zero interest in the financials presented as more often than not there notvtelling a true picture ….one of my many gripes with profit monitors ….zero point comparing different farms running different systems

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Are you growing crops of grain and selling them with all that ground.

we’re at 260 here the last 5 years and haven’t had a feed issue yet. Was buying in 200t of maize but switched to growing it ourselves this year

next year we’ll be about 200/ha with new land. I’ll stick at that and see what way things go. It’s not too far to get down to 170 if that happens. But I’ll be swamped with feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

Your system was never done In New Zealand. Teagasc and IFJ for some bizarre reason just wanted to replicate New Zealand dairy farming in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Anyone can take a case for free if they bring it on environmental grounds. think it was brought in through one of those climate actions/emergencies a few years ago. It gives a free ride to anyone to challenge anything on environmental grounds knowing that the taxpayer foots the bill if they win or lose. Easy money for the legal guys and gals. There was a poster over in the green thread (since closed their account after being schooled on numerous occasions and being challenged on the green shite they posted) claiming the lawyers and barristers are all working pro bono (for nowt) because it's the right thing to do. Clown.

Not part of this. This case is purely a challenge to the derogation. How/who/what is the cause of the water pollution is of no concern to them here. It's a case to get rid of the derogation which they claim is illegal

Jasus lads yere a lost cause if that's the way ye are thinking about farming going forward...... its no wonder there passing on us constantly🙄🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Zero fooks given ..what’s going on inside my farm gate all that concerns me ….no point loosing your shite worrying about everyone else

No just grow our own feed. We put everything in calf to dairy so would have surplus dairy stock to sell. Going forward could cut back on replacements and carry some more cows but then would have to upgrade milking facilities so not shure if it's worth it.

It's amazing the short memory lads have. All year we are listening to lads on here complaining about the bad year they had with the bad weather, extra meal fed, production down and still they want to continue with the unsutainable stocking rates.

I know I am going to be attacked for saying it, but there is a better, easier way. Reduce the stocking rate and still produce the same or more milk with less expense and easier life.

I'm not ....couldn't care less what someone else is doing or not but the idea that everyone else doesn't Matter doesn't stack up either. Mj it will all matter when it comes to what viability and profit levels can be attained and maintained in our business . What's going on and being forced on agriculture and dairy farmers especially wouldn't be even dreamt of in other sectors

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Not that easy lads so easy to get 5k out ofa cow 8k needs different effort

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭straight

People are just in denial it seems. Just can't get it that sometimes less is more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Have always been in dero. Last time we bought forage was when we were in winter milk so as much for production as anything else, sold silage in 18 to lads not in dero, wet years catch us more but touch wood not since 12/ 13 have we had a forage issue

It's grand saying reduce numbers if you have the land base to stay at a level for a sustainable income etc but some don't and a lot don't without renting extra ground. Not everyone is in a position to cut back and not all reductions in costs are going to magically leave you with the same income. We all have to worry about inside our own gate but then this assumption that lads are doing things for bragging rights or just to get bigger I'll never get, a weak argument imo.

Some of us cows are the only income source, others may have 3 or 4 sources of income coming in so have more options

Nothing is black and white and what applies to one does not apply to all.

• Advertisement

Nail on the head there, easy say buy more land to stay going when you’ve a few houses outside the farm or inherited a huge land bank in one block. Hard for lots to understand what you described there which would be typical of a lot of dero farmers.

Advertisement