Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

To highlight these. A number of people owe Ala'alatoa an apology on here.

When has a tighthead gone the full 80?

Much less gone the full 80 in conditions like that against the European Champions away who have a typically destructive scrum at times.

He creaked here and there which is quite frankly par the course away in France to their top teams.

We signed Big Mike as a player to *get the job done* when Furlong is unavailable.

I can think of no better performance than going the distance for the 80 like that is doing exactly that.

Let it be noted that he had 8 decent carries too. More than any other Leinster forward except for Doris

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭OldRio

Yeah, I remember that. Massive performance in appalling conditions. So near and yet.

Exactly how are you not wrong?

Performing for the full 80 against the back to back champions puts it down as one of the better performances from one of our NIQs.

This is the man who Marty Moore would be an upgrade to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just on James Ryan,he's a great player and very underestimated by a lot of people.

He shouldn't ever be Captain though, yesterday was not the first time he rubbed up the referee the wrong way. Better off with somebody else doing that job.

Edit to add: I know a lot want him as Captain because of how good he's been for so long and if it was as simple as rewarding the most deserving player then he should be Captain but it's more important than that.

We'll do the double this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭dublin49

I felt and said I thought Ala alatoa would struggle and was pleased to see how well he went ,I came on immediately to acknowledge I got it wrong and was pleased I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

The Leinster performance against La Rochelle was important in a number of ways.

1: We don't need to play La Rochelle's game in order to beat them.

2: Leinster are probably more potent without Sexton as the game doesn't need to run through the 10 all the time and is a bit more free flowing.

3: Leinster are really going to need to spend well on a Tighthead prop once Ala'alatoa goes, If Furlong is going to have issues it is of the highest priority to bring in an additional TH to lighten the load. Playing Ala'alatoa the full game shows that they didn't have much confidence in what was on the bench. At best the remaining TH depth behind Furlong and Ala'alatoa seems to be URC level only (at the moment).

4: Ryan Baird looks like Leinster and Irelands 6 moving forward.

5: With Baird seemingly looking the part at flanker, it wouldn't hurt to get another quality lock in.

Here is a partial list of captains that have rubbed the ref up the wrong way on more than one occasion:

1) All of them

Ryan could have handled himself better yesterday. But writing him off as someone who should never captain again is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I also think Carley managed the engagement with the captains all wrong. The time that he snapped with Ryan, Ryan was calmly talking to him about Botia pushing Connors into Byrnes line when Byrne was jumping for a high ball. It was incredibly dangerous from Botia and Ryan was right to call it out.

We saw from LAR as well that Carley was being difficult. Bourgarit got really wound up trying to talk to the guy.

Maybe Ryan could have handled it better, but Carley absolutely could have too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,712 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The co-captains thing is ridiculous though and I could see it annoying referees in the future

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think the problem was Ryan was whinging incessantly until Carley effectively demoted him. He was told just previously that Carley wasn't going to have a conversation with him about every decision every time the game stopped.

Ryan asked about the contact in the air and Carley said he thought it was ok and the TMO was looking at it anyway. But Ryan kept going. I think part of the trick of being a good captain is knowing when to talk and when to shut up. H was obviously very charged up for the game and struggled to keep on the right side of the ref.

The dual captains thing probably helped Leinster, being able to take Ryan out of the refs ear was beneficial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Ciaran

I thought Carley could have helped by explaining why there was no foul play in the Harry Byrne incident. Ryan's seen him going up for the ball, going over someone and landing heavily. He's obviously going to think that he was taken out in the air and there should be a yellow card. Presumably the ref knew that he'd fallen over his own player, if he'd told Ryan it probably would have led to a calmer engagement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

How many people actually owe him an apology? maybe on boards but in the fans I know most of them rate him very highly. He has been a competent player since he arrived and always stood up when asked for games Furlong was missing.

I am sad to see him go but that is always the risk with leinster. if you are a player in the SH who is looking for a big money move to France the quickest way for a lot of them is a 2 year contract with Leinster and the French clubs will quickly come around with a bumper contract compared to what they might get offered if they directly moved to France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Bourgarit was worse and Carley kept dealing with him. The difference was Carley knew Ringrose was on the pitch and he could do that and still talk to a captain.

I think it was Carley trying to get a handle on the game because the amount of talk to the ref from both sides was incredible in the first few mins.

I think leinster calmed it down then but La Rochelle kept it going. Would Carley have dumped Bourgarit in the second half if La Rochelle had a co-captain on the pitch as well?

Im not blaming Carley here but I do think if Ryan was just captain without Ringrose he wouldn't have dumped him as quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You can make him club captain but not the guy who speaks in the field. It's already happened too often.

The reason for it is that he's ultra competitive and can't help himself.

I suppose you could send him on a referees course to understand their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah but both teams struggled with the ref. If that’s the case then it indicates that maybe it’s the ref who is the problem. Ryan was never overly animated or anything. He was trying to talk to him. There was a lot of s**t going on, so he had a lot to say. If Carley managed that all better it wouldn’t have gotten to the point it did. With Ryan or with Bourgarit later in the game. Certain things need to be spoken about and stressed. Incredibly dangerous play like that from Botia should have been pushed. Players regularly keep talking to refs in those situations. As we saw the TMO saw nothing in that Botia incident, which is frustrating because that could easily have landed Harry Byrne in hospital.

EDIT: You’re absolutely right that the dual captain thing worked out well for Leinster. Not sure why people are so against it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't think the dual captain thing did work out. I think it just annoyed the ref that there was more than one player trying to officially talk to him.

I'm against it because it just adds confusion and I suspect will irk refs far more than aid us in anything and I fully expect refs to eventually refuse to talk to more than one of them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

He played well yesterday but I believe he's been ordinarily average for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭OldRio

In fairness to the ref. Everyman and his dog was talking to him.

As opposed to the consistently average Marty Moore?

You need to reevaluate what we signed him for. He has consistently done exactly what we've needed of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭durthacht

Yeah but both teams struggled with the ref. If that’s the case then it indicates that maybe it’s the ref who is the problem

I don't know about that as in the first few minutes there seemed to be lots of people from both teams shouting at the ref for every little perceived infringement, so I understand why he might have become annoyed. It was verging on the behaviour of players in a Premier League football match for a while, so I don't really blame him for wanting to take some dramatic action to exert control, and I think player behaviour was one of the reasons it was a tough game to referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Some redemption for Ala'alatoa alright. Im sure he is delighted with his days work. Important he has a big last year as there is a drop off in quality behind him and Furlong is picking up knocks.

Danty got told off for brandishing an imaginary YC at one point, I saw McCarthy do it as well at one stage but don't think the ref saw it.

It's a miracle there weren't a heap more cards in the game really.

Ala'alatoa has been a really valuable player for Leinster and he was excellent yesterday. I thought some of the scrum calls were really unlucky, I don't know how the ref picked them out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Was I watching a different game? Our scrum went to bits on nearly every put-in, no?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Any conversation about signing Marty Moore should have been ended permanently after watching him drag himself around the field against Bath on Saturday making no impact whatsoever around the field AND getting utterly minced in the scrums all match to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Antonio was on his belly every scrum also. Not sure how Carly didn't ping him more often.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

100% - The LAR scrum were backing off on the hit all day as well.

Porter and Sheehan were asking Carley about it all game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I was indifferent when it was announced Ala'alatoa would be joining Clermont next season, but he'll be a loss if he can maintain this performance level.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

That isn't the case though. They flag before the game which of the two of them is going to be communicating with the ref, like they don't both go to the coin toss (ensuring to make plenty of eye contact). It was mentioned a few times in the media since the announcements.

Overall, Ryan was damned if he did or damned if he didn't in the first half. There were so many incidents where you want your captain in the ref's ear - from the at times reckless physicality of LAR that at best walked the line, to the consistent LAR infringement on their line, to a very questionable yellow for a Leinster player, to the scrums being a complete lottery. If Ryan hadn't been in discussions with the ref many would have been questioning his competence.

• Advertisement

La Rochelle look like a very average attacking side when they can’t just physically bully teams.

They had plenty of possession in the second half of the final last May and struggled to do anything with it, and exact same yesterday. The gameplan seems to be just have a bunch of 125kg+ Polynesians and hope you can bully your way into a few maul tries.

Advertisement