Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

How else do you propose we go from 60% to 90%?

RVMs have been shown to work. I have not seen a credible alternative proposal. Just people claiming the 60% is false. The EPA figure isn't perfect but I am sure its relatively accurate. Its not that difficult a figure to work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Incentivise people to use their green bin (ie dont charge them for it as can be the case), provide a green bin if non is provided to households and indeed in public spaces (I believe that is a big issue in certain areas and would probably cover a lot of that gap you talk about), continue to educate people/children on the benefits of recycling, encentivise manufacturers to reduce packaging/change how they use plastics etc etc

There's a lot of stuff there that isn't being done currently and almost every single one of them makes more sense that setting up all of these RVM's in every way, shape and form.

How many households in ireland have access to a recycle bin that is collected in the first instance?

I dont think what you are suggesting will ever get to 90% or even close. Is there any example worldwide of such an approach working?

The rate of mixed dry recyclables has remained fairly static from 2015-2021 (and I am assuming the trend continues in 2022, 2023). The public are well informed and I don't see how further education campaigns are going to yield the almost 50% increase required to reach 90%.

I dont know exactly how many houses have a green bin but from the link below, its clear enough that nearly everyone who has kerbside collection has a green bin. Extending kerbside collection to 100% of the country would be impractical. (Fig 3 - expand the Table).

With massive investment, the 60% of course could be increased but would you not agree getting to 90% likely isn't feasible?

There is no doubt you are being penalised for other people/companies not recycling properly. You will be inconvenienced by the scheme more so then other people as you get home deliveries. I shop in person every week so can bring the stuff with me. Is very mild inconvenience for the general public sufficient to not introduce a scheme that has been shown to be effective?

https://www.epa.ie/our-services/monitoring--assessment/waste/national-waste-statistics/household/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Many of the waste collection companies collect glass now, mine does and has done for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 21,930 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If that's how accessibility is being thought academically, then I need to have words with some academics. There's no point having a wheelchair accessible machine that people can't actually get to. The new system is a long way off the current equivalent, which involves getting something into your bin. Requiring people to travel, some of whom won't have the ability to travel or the facility to travel, is a new requirement - which absolutely doesn't work for some people. 

How did you work out that people with disabilities have no difficulty with glass recycling? Have you spoken to many people with disabilities about this? Or is this just an argumentative gotcha to try to keep pushing forward, regardless of who gets left behind?

When you say that the machine is wheelchair accessible, what accessibility standard did you use to assess this? Does it work for people with sight loss? Does it work for people with just one functional arm? These are significant issues, all of which can be addressed if done in a planned manner up front, but which can cause significant difficulties if they're left until too late in the process.

There are considerable overlaps between ageing and disability. Here's what the European Disability Federation say;

https://www.edf-feph.org/publications/ageing-disability-and-long-term-care-recommendations-for-the-european-care-strategy/

"There are many commonalities between the barriers faced by older people and those faced by persons with disabilities. One of the main reasons for this is that a considerable percentage of older people do in fact have disabilities themselves in one form or another. "

The option to return items for recycling via the online shopping delivery is a reasonable functional alternative. Personally, I'd have thought that there could be hygiene issues with taking a bag of unspecified waste, which may or may not have been cleaned properly, may or may not have been dried properly, into a truck filled with food goods is an issue, but I wouldn't claim to be an expert on this. There's probably a way to do this with some kind of sealed containers at considerable cost.

• Administrators Posts: 53,748 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think it's going to make no difference whatsoever to litter or recycling rates tbh. People who buy a bottle of coke are not going to carry the empty bottle around with them all day to get 15c back. Those who leave cans on the beach are not going to suddenly care about the environment because they'll get 1.50 back if they bring their cans back to Tesco.

To be honest the most annoying thing about it is the practicalities in the home. Now you need to separate your glass from your recycling from your re-turn recycling. And to make it worse, the re-turn stuff cannot be crushed to save space as the barcode needs to stay legible.

What happens if the machines are full or broken? Mad queues because everyone is having to get their cans returned manually by the cashiers?

With bottle banks if they're full I can just go to a different one. Can't really do this though if I need a voucher for Lidl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

No problem but I'm sharing this with just one proviso.

This is just what will happen in Casa Elperello, I'm not for a minute suggesting that it will suit everyone.

I have a couple of plastic folding crates that will each fit either 24 50cl aluminium cans or 15 1 litre plastic bottles.

They will hold 4 weeks worth of cans and bottles based on current usage.

I will probably go to the machine every 3 weeks in order to give me a week's leeway in the event of machine failure or long queues.

I can guarantee 100% that the cans or bottles won't be damaged because I will handle and store them carefully.

A couple of other points -

1 The combined weight of the crates and contents will be low and they will be easily handled.

2 The crates when folded will leave plenty of room in the car for the weekly shop.

Just people claiming the 60% is false. The EPA figure isn't perfect but I am sure its relatively accurate.

It's not accurate because it doesn't exist, the EPA have no such figures, no one does.

Wales do keep figures, their rate is 75% but this is not based on a pay as you throw, the Irish system is i.e. rates will feasibly be higher because we are incentivised to separate waste.

Re-Turn have no starting point. In their promo video they claim between 60-70% estimated.

So again, we are scrapping our current convenient recycling systems and replacing it with an inconvenient bloated confusing mess to fix a problem we don't actually know exists.

the re-turn stuff cannot be crushed to save space as the barcode needs to stay legible.

From my reading of the spec of these proposed machines it won't even attempt to read the barcode if the shape of the can or bottle is distorted.

So the can could be damaged on the side where the barcode isn't and it still won't be read.

In 2019, there was 116,169 tonnes of glass recycled by Ireland. In 2021, the total glass collected by kerbside facilities was 10,024.

Assuming the glass recycling rate stayed relatively constant (which I see no reason why it wouldn't), kerbside collection of glass is <10% of total glass collections in Ireland. Hence, around 90% of glass that is recycled would be through other means and the majority via Bring Centers or other glass recycling facilities where people drive and deposit their glass.

The parallel between glass recycling and the new RVM is a fair one.

If you want to continue to dispute the EPA or the CSO, I am not interested.

Both stats from:

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-sdg12/irelandsunsdgs-goal12responsibleconsumptionandproduction2021/sustainability/#d.en.321711

https://www.epa.ie/our-services/monitoring--assessment/waste/national-waste-statistics/household/

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest grocery delivery drivers will collect waste.

It came from a comment in an interview during the week.

The person selling this scheme thought he heard something anecdotal about something happening.

Basically he made it up to avoid a pertinent awkward question.

I don't see what point you are trying to make. My waste company collects my glass, 6 times a year.

Are you disputing that?

I think the comparison with glass is a red herring tbh.

Most people are happy to bring their glass to a bottle bank because it's easy to do so. No machines or barcodes, just firing bottles through a hole 3 or 4 at a time.

But even more than this, I think people recognise that glass recycling via your green bin is not so straightforward. For one thing glass takes a lot of space in a bin and it's dangerous to crush it. Secondly it's relatively heavy, a bin half filled with glass is going to weigh a lot. The practicalities of regular kerbside glass collection is awkward, and while some companies will do irregular collection most people don't have the space to store loads of glass between pickups.

In contrast, it is unclear to me how this method of recycling my bottles and cans is better than putting them in my green bin today, which is what I do religiously.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So what's the solution for people who don't get to the shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Our local Tesco is having these put into the lobby as I type.

I pay just under 400 a year for 4 bins. So few litter bins in towns you could count on one hand with fingers over. Plus 3 dog poop bins. Council just ignores the necessity for litter bins so too much littering at times

I can't see us needing this new system. Very little cans or plastic bottles. Only cans might be beans occasionally we don't buy cans of soda or bottles of same and our tap water is perfect.

I’m not disputing that.

What is your point with kerbside pickups? It accounts for a tiny fraction of recycled glass in this country. The majority of people don’t recycle glass that way and kerbside pickup of glass has no merit in arguing against the RVM system for plastics and cans.

• Advertisement

No idea. The private environmental company who were paid to push this through completed their report in 2019.

So it hasn't factored in the pandemic and the changes in consuming and shopping that has come from that.

It also hasn't factored in what decline in consumption if that has been one in 2 hefty consumption charges which have been implemented since.

Sugar tax and minimum pricing.

In fact the data they estimated their assumptions is 6+ years old at this stage.

One example of this would be the huge increase in reusable bottles now, which is a fairly large market and is becoming the norm.

What is your point with kerbside pickups?

It wasn't a point it was a fact. The question was posed how do people who can't get to bottle banks recycle their glass. I pointed out waste companies do provide this service.

The majority of people don’t recycle glass that way and kerbside pickup of glass has no merit in arguing against the RVM system for plastics and cans.

Our glass recycling stats are mid 80s.

No punitive stick involved.

It's almost like if a service is provided without treating the general public with utter contempt the service will be used.

Mind blown.

Why wouldn't it?

It's never been tried, local councils put token effort into litter collection as you are well aware and less so into recycling.

Example 1:

I live in an expanding village in Galway. During covid the local counciller made a massive deal about getting the local council to put in a while TWO street bins (generic bins - no recycling option) in the village. That literally all thats there now.

Example 2:

As mentioned above my mother lives in an area where recycle bins aren't an option by the bin company. There are a lot of people living in the same area. Where do you think the potentially recycleable material goes?

Point 3:

Do you really think that the single machine in the shop you shop in will have the capacity (physical space) and indeed reliability so that when you go there every week without fail that it will always work? What happens when it doesn't work? Again, the comparisions with class recycling are a bit daft as they are not anywhere near as limited by space and/or technology amoung other things.

Point 4: Surely the accessibility of a household to a green bin is going to be a big driver of how likely they are to recycle and indeed have a big imact on that percentage you mention. If kerside collectiong "isn't feasible" then I don't see how the far worse for the environment option of everyone carry around empties all the time is going to work!

Just because something has been shown to be effective elsewhere doesn't mean it will work here.

Are you implying if we moved plastic recycling to beside glass recycling and scrapped green bins the recycling rate would increase?

Glass doesn’t need a stick. Plastic does. I have ideas why with absolutely nothing to back it up however.

A minority of people in this country have glass picked up kerbside. What relevance does it have? It can be disregarded in this discussion.

Are you saying we won’t achieve 90% with this new system? That’s a very different argument then the one I thought you were making.

What I implied is obvious.

If this whole charade is just a scheme to collect litter, maybe you know provide the mechanisms for litter disposal and collection.

It used be called a bin when I was younger.

They have smart bins now which are pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

what is a rouble bottle and how are they processed

In the fatherland bottled water bottles, are recycled whole in crates, you get the refund, have not seen that here

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

More to life than treating cans with kid gloves.just at the end of the day more Green Party bs.and those already paying for bin collections will just be screwed for more fees

No I don't think we will get anywhere close to 90 percent to be honest - we don't know what 90 percent is in any instance - I expect the reason we aren't near it at the moment is down to lack of recycling bins in residences and in public moreso than anything else.

I was suggesting that a tonne of more straightforward steps had not been taken before trying this one. Steps that make far more sense on every level but for some reason (I suspect vested business interests) haven't been implemented to the fullest.

Pi$$ing off a large proportion of your citizens isn't a great way to implement this type of change and I can tell you that when these machine come into play, there will be widespread dismay at:

1. Their capacity.
    2. Their reliability.
    3. The practicailties of this scheme.

As others have said here and elsewhere it doesn't look to have been fully scoped at all.

• Advertisement

We will have no way of knowing if we're anywhere near 90%. We have no idea what the number is today, it's an estimate. It'll be an estimate in future, though admittedly less of an estimate.

The new system will make it easier to count bottles that go back into the machines. We should know exactly how many bottles are sold, and we will know exactly how many are re-collected. We can't do this today.

But, a bottle or can bought and thrown in a green bin is still recycled, and that still won't be counted.

They might turn round and say based on the new machines we're at 80%, and I'm sure they'll claim this is a victory as we've improved on the 60-70% of today. But we could be at 80% already today, we have no idea at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement