Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any reason left not to go smart meter?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Panrich

My current gas and electricity contract is up next month with Flogas. I have a smart meter, recently installed 6.45kwp installation and 5.1kwh battery.

Looking at Pinergy, my usage profile would not make sense as although it would be nice to have the very cheap EV rate for the couple of hours (no EV), my battery size would not make full use of the rate and I’d be importing at higher rates especially at this time of year.

None of the switcher sites that I’ve seen take pv installations into account. Anyone with a similar profile, have any advice?

Currently I charge the battery to full before 8am and again before 5pm but that will change in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,394 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

You charge your battery during the day from the grid?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭curioustony

@Panrich you are correct about the comparison sites. There is an app (android Ireland only) if you don't do spreadsheets. It can use your ESBN HDF to build a usage profile, and PVGIS to build a solar profile.

It's not a commercial offering, so you need to update prices yourself. You can share them though.

It's not open source yet, as I need to tidy it up a bit. Maybe over the holidays.

Last post from this thread has links:

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The difference between peak and day rates isn't worth charging batteries at 5pm. Anything you save are just consumed in losses

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Shocking weather the last few days. I've totalled 3kWh in 4 days.

Battery ran out today at 5pm! So my costs are murder at the minute. €3.50 to €4 a day as opposed to the usual €1.60ish.

On the plus side my Pinergy statement finally arrived, only 3 weeks late. Still no sign of the €100 sign up bonus but I'm told by Reagan (who is the only person who actually does any work in that place) that it'll be on the second statement which should be with me on the 15th.

• Advertisement

Yup. And I've been hoping for a dry one as I'll be spending the day lying on the ground sticking led lighting under my new wall caps.

Cladding going on during the week so I need it done ASAP. Might go see if I can pinch one of those trolleys somewhere, for rolling under cars. Be a lot easier than my current method of a ladder on the ground with some cardboard on top lol.

Ah well, there's only 55m of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The €100 welcome bonus will cover your shortfall for about 30 days. So pretty much the vast majority if not all of the days in the year that you are short. And of course you are enjoying the other 99.5% of your units at 5c, which is nearly 40% cheaper than the nearest competitor

So cheer up, DrPhil! 😀

Ah yeah it's grand. I'm still confident of going the full year without a net cost. Welcome credit will be on my second statement, Government credit starting soon, and by April if not March my export will cover my import.

Just stings to see this:

Instead of the usual:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Panrich

Indeed. I was noticing that at this time of year the battery that was charged in the morning was depleted mostly by peak time. So we were importing many units at peak rate. Since I started charging between 16-17, we have used none at peak rates. If the battery is full at 16 hrs, then we use day rates from the grid during that hour.

• Advertisement

What's your day rate and whats your peak rate?

your not saving much, maybe a few cents/kwh max. My battery is AC coupled, and I'm measuring power in and out. and getting about a 20% loss on the round trip.

@DrPhilG - "Just stings to see this:"

Yeah, it stings. I've been lucky enough to just about escape it so far, but I had to make an additional battery charger last weekend, which has saved my beef this week, putting in an additional 3.3kWh into the battery every night. Would have run out without it. So not stung yet 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭championc

I've a 3kW charger en-route from China, so I've been stung for a few units this past week.

It could be said that the cost of the charger would be far outweigh the cost of the units.

But I'm starting to forward plan for a heat pump, so it won't be wasted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭DC999

Dumb Q. So you somehow connect that new charger along with the battery inverter to get a higher battery charge rate? Meaning you get around the battery inverter charge limit. That right?

Q2, what's the limit the batteries can take charge wise? Or what other charge bottlenecks are there like the bms?

I'll be doing a DIY battery at some point. Well, will be a Seplos kit and EVE batteries most likely.

Yep. I'm doing the same myself

Most cells used for home built batteries are LiFePO4 with a continous charge / discharge rating of 1C, so if you have a 200Ah cell, you can charge with 200A, or in other words 10kW if you have a single set of 15 or 16 cells. A lot more than most inverters can do. In case of @championc, his inverter can do 3kW and his charger can do 3kW, so combined 6kW. Well under the 10kW limit for a single set, 20kW for 2 in parallel, 30kW for 3 in parallel, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Is there a waiting period before you can switch suppliers after getting a smart meter? I got one last week, I can see smart meter data on the esb network site.

Does that mean I'm good to go switch onto a smart plan? Looking at the pinergy ev plan as my battery should cover 90+% of my daily use.

Thanks.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

I switched within 5 minutes of getting my smart meter installed. Now, I was still in contract, so I had to pay the €50 penalty to my previous supplier, but the switch can be done all the same.

Once the new supplier can see you have a smart Meter from their systems access to ESBN, you're good to go.

They have no idea as to whether you had the smart Meter for 10 min, or 10 months, not do they care

In my case it took another week or two before the new supplier could see my new smart meter, but I had changed suppliers already. Don't ring a new supplier, most of their staff are completely incompetent anyway, just sign up online. There will be a record in the system for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Some sort of fluke for @unkel it seems.

Pinergy have said they can't do anything as long as this shows up for your mprn when you try to sign up online:

They said it can take anywhere between 1 and 2 months for the damn meter to be detected, ESBN confirmed the same and after talking to multiple reps, no one can do anything about it. Basically it means nothing that you can see your usage on the EBN portal, go figure.

• Advertisement

That must be new. None of the people signing up around when I did (start of September) reported anything like that.

BTW was on the phone to Pinergy last week. The monthly fixed payment automatically adjusts down after 3 months. And they have no problem issuing you with a refund when you request it (and there is at least €90 credit balance left in your account after the refund)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭insular1

Yeah I was getting that message and was on to Pinergy a few times to try sort it. Eventually requested Reagan as suggested by someone on this thread and it was sorted the next day. Took 37 days I think from smart meter installation to when I was able to sign up. On a similar note how long did it take for people's data to start showing up in the Pinergy app?

I'm assuming that you are talking about a Smart Day / Night ?

In mine and @unkel case, we both dumped our day / night meters and went regular Smart meters - and haven't looked back !!!

It took bl00dy ages, even though it was on ESBN. Of course, you can guess who finally sorted that out too !!!

Has anyone left Energia with credit still in their account ?

If so, how do they pay the credit owed? Into your bank account or by cheque?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Was there a limit per month for the 5c units? You're surely going well over 1000kwh per month right?

• Advertisement

No limit! And yes, I use over 42kWh of 5c electricity per day, every day. 3 hours times over 14kW. If I don't need it, I dump it back into the grid (pay 5c, get paid 27c). Not an awful lot of that in December or January, but plenty in other months.

Also no limit for feed in tariff units.

Advertisement