Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭timmyntc

A €60k kitchen would do it alright!

You could have a very very good kitchen supplied and fitted for 20k depending on your tastes - all depends on priorities I suppose but if I were looking to get on the ladder still I would be buying 2nd hand, gutting kitchen myself and 20k would be plenty - save the other 80k for windows/insulation/MHRV or heat pumps.

You wouldnt get the very same finish as a new build, but if you buy 2nd hand you may well end up with a bigger house which you can always improve over time.

New builds are quite poky for my taste, especially gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,577 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yeah, a 70 grand kitchen is not normal.

In the normal world people spend a fraction of that, without looking for second hand etc. You can do it even cheaper if you do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

No absolutely agreed €60k was total overkill on over the top appliances. I don’t think it could have been done for much less than €30k though to achieve the quality you see in a new build (I.e. not Ikea and Whirlpool).

I agree with your sentiments and it’s exactly what we did - paid less up front to hopefully get something which can be improved over time. Also not a big fan of new build plots/layouts.

But if you place importance on pristine quality with everything snagged to perfection (and a 10 year home bond), high quality appliances and kitchens/bathrooms etc. I think new builds are actually cheaper in the long term than trying to replicate it in a second hand house.

Plenty of new build kitchens full of Nordemende / PowerPoint that would make you dream of IKEA own brand stuff

Homebond is worthless as many pyrite cases found out

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Depending on the developer and at what stage they sell, a lot of new builds are relatively bare bones on the inside, you have to supply bathrooms, kitchens yourself.

Homebond is truly worthless, and was a pain in the neck when we got our new build, our mortgage was contingent on it, took some convincing to allow us to do it without.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Most new build schemes give the option of builders finish or showhouse finish - those I know opted all for builders finish and sorted rest themselves as the standard finish is very bland as its designed to appeal to as many potential buyers as possible. White marble effect tiles, millenial grey carpet, off white walls etc.

Most people source their own floors, kitchen, appliances etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

Of course the state would like to solve the housing crisis. The State does not want the hazzle of being a landlord. Do you in all honesty think the State would sanction and eviction from social housing for outstanding rent?

No politician in their right mind would vote for this. It would be like turkeys voting for Christmas.

This is interesting and contrary to what we viewed and many of my friends who bought new builds.

Maybe it’s only at higher value range 600k-1m but all have Miele/Neff/Bosch appliances across the board, induction hobs, ‘kitchen by Helen Turkington’. They’ve also had absolutely no issues getting builders back to repair anything that has gone wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭Timing belt

The SCSI report will show profit/loss as per construction company accounts…..They will have no access to investment company accounts and the whole purpose of setting up companies like this is to treat the land a separate investment and unrelated to the construction company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I've long stopped believing they even remotely care about the crisis. Looking at actions rather than words their priority was getting house prices back up to tiger-era levels, which is fundamentally incompatible with any concept of affordable housing.

• Advertisement

How do you stimulate activity in the private sector? You give incentives. You can't force builders to build if its not profitable to do so.

We don't have the capacity to build both private and social housing in the quantities we need so we try balance a bit of both to try keep people happy.

If they could solve the housing crisis they would why are Sinn Fein gaining in the polls? Their main topics are health and housing. They claim they can fix the housing problem I am not sure they can. Maybe they can maybe they can't I honestly don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,024 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

That was my experience, neff, Siemens , Bosch and top quality fixtures and fittings. We had the foreman driven demented fixing stuff for us and he did !

My view is FF/FG are unwilling to do what is needed to solve the housing crisis. They would otherwise at the very least be fixing egregious things such as the NIMBY/BANANA-prone planning system.

Whether they are able to solve the crisis is a seperate question. However there is no point trying to seperate fact from fiction about logistics/costs/etc if the black-and-white willpower is not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Planning isn’t the only or main issue….There 1,000’s of not 10,000’s of houses and apartments that have planning for years and yet not a foundation laid.

We will have to agree to disagree so. While the planning process may play a part (a small one in my view) in our current situation I think we must lower standards so build costs will reduce.

I only had a discussion with my Dad recently about the whole issue. We purchased in the early 70's and you got four walls and a roof.

Current new builds need nothing up to and including floors, tiles, built in wardrobes etc. By all means build energy efficient homes but should they be finished with flooring etc? How much are these extras costing?

You are looking at very different houses to me

Getting builders to fix stuff while they're still on site is comparatively easy. Homebond claims are effectively impossible and we can see how the state had to bail out pyrite when Homebond wouldn't

The need to lower standards? I honesty do not know. Having witnessed a BER assessment of my then-rented apartment back in 2019 I have no faith in that system, and I doubt I would want to live in the hermetically sealed conditions a top A rating would require.

I suppose the big question is: What has the government done that actually brings the cost of housing down? Stuff like HAP is a cheat to maintain prices. If you think the answer is zilch then we are not in much disagreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Villa05

Planning is often used as a land value enhancer with little/no intention to build.

Lobby to increase density, repeat the process and further increase land value

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Villa05

Nail - head

FFG won't do anything that brings house prices down. increasing price is the only way they will go so they can turn to the electorate and say we've doubled the housing budget therefore we are forever tied to boom bust economics when it comes to housing

I think it was Michael Noonan who said something like "we want house prices back up", but regretably have lost the reference link.

• Advertisement

Energy efficiency does not mean you need an A rated home.

I have a house built early 70's and I have insulated some of it and am insulating as I can afford to do so.

HAP has nothing to do with keeping prices high, it is a result of failure to manage the existing social housing supply and introducing more supply as needed.

Our social housing system is broken. I am sorry but I don't accept the concept that once you turn 18 people go on to the housing list and after a number of years get their "forever home". By all means the State should support people who have tried to house themselves but not those who don't even try.

For context both of my nieces in their late 20's have purchased second hand houses with partners in the last three years and both earn the average wage and did not receive family support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Ive yet to see any of my construction mates back on the rollies :) Not one of them has been let go this year. I still think there are more job vacancies in construction than people to work in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think that is the way to go. People buying a house that is not new have to cut there cloth to suit. The.more you can do yourself the better. Painting, putting down timber floors, insulation( and draw the grants) etc all make a huge difference.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Here it is:

FINANCE Minister Michael Noonan wants house prices to rise further and claims fears of another property bubble in Dublin are exaggerated.

Speaking at the 'Sunday Independent Business Evening ' last night, Mr Noonan also said the Government will use the state property agency NAMA to tackle the housing shortage. "We need to get property prices up another bit," he told the Dublin event.

This was said almost ten years ago, and even then was an understanding that we were heading for real trouble. To play devil's advocate, I doubt Noonan envisaged the magnitude of the disaster that was on the way. If you'd told anyone in 2014 of all that's transpired since 2020, they would think you insane. However, the man still bears responsibility for his short-sighted policy, but hey, he's doing well so who cares, right?

The reason that it is costing you that is TMM. Too much money, I do not give a f@@k but 60-70k on a kitchen is crazy. It's beyond the scope of 90% of yge population. You are going all high end materials. I would be slow retrofitting underfloor heating

Slava Ukrainii

New kitchens put in recently by two of our friends both around the 20k mark including appliance.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

TMM indeed. This is what happens when the country is flooded with billions in funny-money.

I’m not arguing that it cant be done cheaper. This all started comparing the relative value of new builds vs replicating in a second hand home and that new builds were a ‘rip-off’ which I used to think also.

But for a fair comparison of the two you have to look at quality and not how cheaply it can be theoretically be done if you did it yourself.

As an example, the last new build I was in was Bellevue in Delgany. Large 100+ house estate of 3 and 4 bed semis, so not an outlier.

From specification:

1. Neff integrated appliances throughout including neff induction hob
    2. Quartz worktops including backsplash and Island
    3. McNally cabinetry

I don’t think you can do that for less than €30k. Neff induction hobs are between 2-4K depending on the size. Integrated fridge/freezer c.€1k each. Double oven/microwave 1.5-2k. Washing machine..dryer…sinks…taps (all will be good quality). Quartz will be €3-5k. And that’s before you get to the cabinets.

Can it be done cheaper? Absolutely. Is it worth the cost - that’s up to the individual. But the point is, when looking at the sticker price of a new build, people underestimate how expensive it would be to replicate to the same quality themselves.

That is not a normal new build by virtue of location alone.

This is like trying to compare car specs when you're only looking at the Audi and Mercedes dealers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,024 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

and people will also tell you that what they did for 10k is just as good, when it isnt.

If functionality is all thats important then you will get away with it, but thats not for everyone.

Advertisement