Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV programmes that have run their course

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,855 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm sure he wouldn't, so it's a draw 😉

Tubridy is soooo defensive about his shows and RTE in general. I think because deep down he knows the product is dross.

People do write in and complain these days - email - a lot easier and quicker than the old days. Free, too...

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭kyote00

Derry girls is insufferable shite

Same with Young Offenders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭its_steve116

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

So has the Young Offenders by the look of things (fingers crossed)

I think most of tubs texts are written by the staff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ah don’t say that, you’ll just set him off. There’ll be links to first name matches on the NK Management website posted, again.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

A Question of Sport. I presume it has been finally been chopped?

I would actually prefer watching random retro episodes now, like " tonights guests are Belfast soccer Legend Norman Whiteside, Young Tennis phenomenon Boris Becker, to be surrealist conspiratorial snooker buff extraordinaire Daid Icke and swimming breast stroke Olympian Michelle de Bruin etc etc.

Captains Emlyn Hughes etc , or even better just pick an exciting round from random years, they must have oodles of footage. some of the what happened next would be great and trying to guess what Kirk Stephens looks like whilst walking around a McDonalds in Piccadilly would be great craic.

Same with Family Fortunes and The Bruce Forsyth doing the higher or lower with the playing cards.

It is not surprising that no one watches the box anymore, pure shight on these days. Bring back Mike Murphys Pop Quiz and Bullseye immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its on BBC1 tonight, graveyard slot.

Yer wan Sam Quek is one of the Captains and Paddy McGuinness is presenting. Its absolutely terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Relikk

A Question of Sport has been shite for a long time. Ever since they added "charades" to it, essentially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭griffin100

You can watch Bullseye pretty much every day on Challenge. I love it - the lack of political correctness, the sometimes shite prizes and the hilarious early 80’s hair and fashions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Thanks for the heads up. Nothing in this game beats a bit a bully.

iiiinnnnnn 1 .... don't eat cold sambos ever agin with this top of the range kenwood sandwich maker.....

iiiiinnnn 2 ... a weekend pass at Alton towers.

101 or more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭RoTelly

This is all factually incorrect.

The Angelus is consider a TV programme therefore it does not eat into RTÉ's advertising revenue, between 6pm and 7pm each night RTÉ can show a max of 9 minutes of advertising this excludes their own promotions for their programming. If RTÉ dropped the Angelus they could not increase their advertising by 1minute during the hour they could only replace it with either promos for RTÉ or a minute extra of news or another type of programme.

As for Toy Show The Musical there is a question over this as I am sure that the RTÉ Guide must take out adverters on RTÉ and I suppect that TSTM comes under this same rule... thus it is not consider an RTÉ promo... however I believe RTÉ are saying they did not cut advertising and that TSTM ads are promos.

Commercial TV can show a max of 12mins of ads per hour.

Public service TV and radio can show a max of 9mins but can only have an average of 6mins per hour over the day. (This excludes RTÉjr, RTÉ Digtial Radio stations and RTÉ news all of which are ad free, but RTÉ could ask the minister to change this rule, I don't think this is a hard rule for RTÉ RnaG but it also does not carry ads).

Commercial Radio can show a max of 12mins of ads per hour but can only air an average of 9mins per hour over the course of a day.

Minister controls advert mins on Public broadcasters, BAI controls ad mins on Commerical TV, while the Dail and Seanad control ad revenue on commercial radio.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

An extra minute of news, or even promos, would be better than the daily plugging of that vile organisation which has done so much damage to this country and its people (I mean the catholic church not RTE 😛 )

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

8 out of 10 cats does countdown, Seans gone you can't replace him so why bother? They're already dredging the quagmire with fill in's such as that twat with the big teeth, he's as funny as an anal prolapse.

• The main RTE show that to me is about 40 years past its best before date is the Late Late Show. It’s a 1950s/60s format still running in 2023…

It was very relevant and a huge deal when it was presented by Gay Byrne, which is pretty much two generations ago at this stage.

It should have retired with Gaybo.

It was an amazing show, but decades ago - as a piece of classic television. It makes no sense in the 2020s

There’s still space for BIG studio shows, but absolutely not in that format. It’s basically Ed Sullivan Show format from the early days of TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Tubridy is a radio guy, I’m not a fan either way but his delivery, ‘personality’ and style suits radio.

he just looks and sounds so awkward, forced devoid of personality and unnatural on live TV… he really gets found out during the more current affairs segments / interviews and also with ‘some’ of the more comedy guests where instead of being a foil like Gay or Pat for the humour he just tries to act all stupid which…. I saw him with Peter Kay a while back… not good… he gave Peter nothing but nervous laughter and obvious questions… Peter was trying to fill the gaps. Not sure he has the culture credentials… he’s too ‘light entertainment’

its a tough gig though, but it’s prime time TV, Friday night, don’t know who’d replace him…

what would be essential though I’d imagine would be that they’d go for a female presenter, actually googling now I see that Ryan predictably is pushing for that… but Jennifer Zamperelli no less : "I don't think you can say 'the next presenter of The Late Late Show should be a woman'. "I think the next presenter for The Late Late Show should be the best person for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Can't remember the last time I watched it. The Guests are Z list at best and mostly employed or contracted by RTE.

Also on a Friday night we really don't need an interview with terminally ill patients or the recently bereaved. That shouldn't happen on a Friday. It needs to be light hearted.

1 hour to 90 minutes is long enough in this day and age. I'd like to see them rotate presenters too. That might help keep things fresh.

But yeh, all in all they'd be better with showing a movie that we've all seen 20 times at this stage. I don't really care what Dermot Bannon, Amy Huberman or Pat Short are at. They are on it nearly every year at this stage. None are funny, their time was ten years and none are remotely interesting anymore.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If there's evert an article about Tubridy saying he's recieved negative reviews or troll/criticism posted on social media the comments underneath are generally from older ladies saying stuff.

"We love you Ryan".

"Thanks for keeping us safe during the pandemic".

Then you look at there profiles and they live in Tuam County Galway and have posts saying shared in Tuam and it's about a missing dog in Auckland New Zeland. Generally the dog went missing in 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yeh I've noticed you can't be critical of RTE or Irish celebrities without being accused of bullying. I get that there is some abuse about and that's not right but as license holders we have every right to an opinion.

Ryan for example thinks social media is toxic and isn't on it. To me Irish "celebs" just go to that default point of view in order to deflect from their own poor performance.

https://evoke.ie/2022/08/25/entertainment/ryan-tubridy-late-late-show-trolls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

@Gusser09 I think some people considers any slightly negative comment or cristism as trolling and bullying. It's a very bad way to be in my opinion and it takes away from those who do suffer abuse.

• I wonder if an element of it is that celebs don't really do shows like the Late Late anymore. The days of Wogan and Parkinson are long, long gone in the UK. Most of the modern talk shows are far faster paced, more entertainment focused and not a sort of unpredictable mix of light entertainment, current affairs and human interest.

TV changed a lot over that period. There's a lot of niches, a lot of channels (and streaming) and tons of competition. The days of a massive variety show to suit all tastes is long gone, yet RTE still serve it up once a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

TV in general has run it's course.

One of the problems with TLLS is the shows host, notice he doesn't interview many Irish comedian or even give Irish comedians an opportunity to do a live stand up routine. I can't see a Tommy Tiernan type doing a controversial routine on TLLS, in case it might offend the host.

As for who should take over, I think RTÉ were hoping Angela Scanlon was their woman for the job, but Ask Me Anything ran out of steam the first episode.

Everything has to be rosey for RTÉ, no complaints, no negativity, just chat by the numbers and ultimately Tubs et al patting themselves on the back for a job well done.

______

Yesterday

^^^^Everything has to be Hunky-Dorey in Montrose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Can’t really let a “comic” on, saying what they like, in case they say something about loonies in certain institutes, or weirdo journalists, and the station gets sued as a result.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I wish it were about that but it is not really, Tubs had been presenting TLLS in the same manner prior to that incident. Tubs is afraid that they might say something about him personally, because he forgets he's asking the questions and it isn't all about him.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You mean streaming has taken over?

I think the quality of available stuff is better than ever with streamers etc...but it just takes some hunting down!

I'd disagree I think we had a gold age of US network TV in the 90s, followed in the 2000s by the golden age of US cable TV, followed by a short period in the 2010s of quality streamer produced programming, but currently I think TV drama serials have become less and less about character and story and much more about pushing a "political view", e.g. IMO I'd consider "The Good Wife" the best network TV show from 2010s (not a hard thing to do TBH) but its spin off series "The Good Fight" (a streaming programme) fails to be able to tell a story, while at the same time playing politics, but perhaps its has run its course. Can't say I am watching anything at the moment, but open to some suggestions.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I get what you mean on the good fight (which I liked overall but didn't love..in fairness COVID hit it hard) versus the good wife (which is genuinely terrific). They are totally different shows. The good fight last series was pretty strong. I don't think the issue I had was the political view...it was more the absolute weirdness of it all! When it did the courtroom stuff it was still excellent.

Network TV is less of a thing, serials etc. They go for safe procedurals or similar a lot of the time.

I genuinely believe there is more quality TV than ever before, it's just spread across ever more channels, streaming platforms etc.

Good recent TV shows for me (but obviously subjective and depends what you are in to).

Hacks

Slow Horses.

Sherwood.

Yellowjackets.

The Bear.

Severance

Some good British stuff as well the responder, Karen Pirie I really enjoyed, big boys, plus the new series of happy valley is excellent so far as well.

First episode of the last of us was extremely promising too.

The lying life of adults on Netflix is terrific for me too.

I can think of tonnes more. The guardian top 50 of 2022 is a solid place to start imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Reeling in the Years.......enough!! Fair City.....someone shoot this thing in the head, please.

No more new RITY until at least 2030.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Love Island.

“ are you Married “ “no” “cough…gay”

I recall something like that on one episode 😂😂

heres similar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭griffin100

When watching it now you really notice the causal sexism and in particular the use of the word 'handicapped' when referring to the charity the darts player was trying to raise money for.

Jim: Who's your chosen charity?

Player: It's a school for handicapped kids near home Jim.

Jim: Brilliant stuff, lets see if we can win them enough money for a couple of new wheelchairs

.......after the money is raised

Jim: The handicapped kids will be delighted with that money lads, bless them.

I can think of much worse terms which were in common use at the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The Group Chat on virgin media. It’s only been on like 2 nights, but that’s 2 nights too many. Who wants to watch these 3 boomers talking news, we can already do that multiple times during the day. This format on tv just doesn’t work, it was tried out 10+ years ago with the Adrian Kennedy show, it won’t work here with these 3 and their stupid podcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

Didn't read all the posts ... but ALL Property related shows and ALL cooking shows - please , just stop.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Grey's Anatomy. It ran its course something like 7+ years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Breaking news!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Basically yes but also that you can stream on multiple devices. The idea of having a big screen etc isn't over but that isn't tv in the same way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

SG-1 reruns Stateside Comet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I have just seen it for the first time tonight....and I truly despise it. It's so bad, it makes me angry. An annoying embarrassing mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Pretty much all the talent/singing/dancing/xfactor panel shows

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Saw recently that "CelebAbility" (hosted by that Scottish guy from Love Island who thinks he's funny) ended recently after 7 seasons. I'm surprised it lasted that long to be honest.

Still going, it is a very shallow programme. They have very little to say and are trying to sound intelligent.

Gavin: How intelligent are we, I mean I was just down doing some piano playing.

Richard: Ah now come on now, look I can't play the piano but I saw on line how to play, your very skillful gav

Zara: Oh! sure! I was just saying how intelligent Gav is, but he has a few years on me, now did you read that what they say about paino players

har har har

Gavin: Now on to our next topic how talent the media are

Zara: Yeah! It really weird how we are all so talented and gifted.

Richard: Look Irish people have won plenty of literature awards and look at the Eurovision 7 times wins

Gavin: Sweden getting into their 7th,

Zara: Don't mention the war

har har har

Gavin: Now how extraordarinary are we... now now I mean the Humans in general not just us

Zara: Oh! don't put yourself down

Richard: Join us next week for more of the same.

They literal say nothing.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Ireland's Fittest Families, what a load of codswallop, why not make a series about Ireland's most sloth family, that could be entertaining.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Families with young children love it. You’re not the target audience. Change the channel. Not everything is designed with the boards.ie modern demographic in mind.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Strictly, I'm a celeb, casualty, eastenders, coronation Street, the late late the list is endless, its the same shyte year in year out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement