Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

I think you miss my point completely. His lack of performance is his petulance

So there is an admittance that Blade and Hanrahan really are just bog ordinary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Then why single Bundee out? Everyone else bar Prendergast didn’t preform either.

Bundee was pretty dreadful for Connacht last season and it Was pretty well documented that there was issues with the coaching staff. There’s a completely new coaching staff bar Wilkins who signed off on a new contract for Bundee.

Im gonna guess that the off field issues last year have been resolved. Bundee is Connachts best ever player. No way should he be written off after one game where the whole team was dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,172 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well Hanrahan hasn't shown anything besides goal kicking.

Blade is the scrum-half, where did I mention the scrum-half?

Blade is decent, a good out-half would improve things for him.

Personally I want to see Hawkshaw get a run at 10. I seen him play the position underage and twice for Leinster and he looked decent.

I am going to so so so strongly suggest that the off field issues with Bundee, which have been ongoing far too long, are in no way resolved and are causing a major rift within the camp. But what would I know😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

It was an incredibly disappointing performance all round by Connacht. It felt like a big step backwards for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Treaty fella

Interesting seeing Dylan Tierney Martin playing for Garryowen yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

I noticed that Oran McNulty played for Garryowen last week as well. Given that Buccaneers are the only Connacht team playing in 1A/1B, this may be an attempt to provide playing time at a better level to the wider squad, not much sense in those lads playing 2B/2C with Corinthians or Galwegians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Afaik senior provincial players can't play AIL 2A or lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

I didn't know that. Other Connacht Seniors who played this weekend:

Gavin Thornbury (Blackrock)

Josh Murphy (Clontarf)

Matthew Burke (Buccaneers)

Shayne Bolton (Buccaneers)

Liam McNamara (Buccaneers)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

That loss without bonus points, and so many bonus points elsewhere in our group, means that Europe is effectively over for us.

Watching the other games I was reminded of the old poker saying:

If you can't spot the sucker in your first 10 minutes at the table then it's you

And all of the other teams in our group look better than us and even 2 wins may not be enough. The reduced number of games prem clubs are playing and the increase depth of talent in France means we're up against it. That doesn't mean our performance against Bordeaux is OK, or that we can't compete, it just means we have to be in top form to even be in the mix and we were far from that on Friday.

Watching the Sale Stade game now; the French are not waving the white flag at these away games anymore, which is great for the competition if not us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

A I right in thinking Josh Murphy is taking a year out from professional rugby to finish his medicine degree?

I'm in no way saying it's going to be easy to progress in the Champions Cup but what I will say there was a huge effort put in last year after a slow start to qualify for this competition. So the least Connacht can do is fight to stay in it.

And like a proper ass kicking which we got this weekend there are lessons to be learnt.

And I think there was a lot learnt. So maybe if we take these lessons onboard and adjust the team accordingly it may turn out to be the saviour of our season.

Folks have pointed out the losing run we are on and I take that. What the Begles game did is to really ram home issues that could potentially have been ignored with the tight losses we have had. And I believe this is only a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kita99

I watched world 7's SF in Cape Town. Ireland was beaten by Argentina(19-26). After it, they was beaten by Fiji(7-14),so they were in 4th place. In the SF, Jennings(starter) and Mullins(off the bench) both stood out. Mullins got 2 tries in the short time. They both maybe will be regular members at Paris olympics. I hope to them retturn to Connacht 15th after Olympic games (next summer). They looked better than Smith and Mcnamara at the SF. Both two has big size with power, speed and agility enough. Maybe Connacht will get strongest backs in 4 provinces. 9 Devine, Blade 10 ,Forde, Hawkshaw 11Kilgallen, Smith 12 Jennings, Daly 13 Farrel, Bolton !4 Porch, Ralston 15 Mullins, McNulty (O'Connor) and Hansen (some place) I cannot wait their playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Not sure about that McNulty played a fair bit for Corinthians in 2B last season

Haven’t seen the 7s this year but good to hear Jennings and Mullins impressing. Expecting them both to be important for Connacht moving forward. TBH wouldn’t be surprised to see Jennings involved over the next few weeks with Mack, TOH and Cordero out injured.

Just on Smith and McNamara last season, Smith looked class at 7s. There’s a lot of potential with him in 15s. He still looks very raw but give him a year or two to adjust.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Sarries were fairly well beaten this week. I fancy Connacht to get a result. Tom Farrell has got to play, imo. I reckon they'll revert back to Carty, who's really been bang average.

I have a feeling Farrell is injured. Would certainly have been involved the last few weeks if he wasn’t.

Id nearly go 10 Carty 12 Bundee 13 Forde this week and give Forde the kicking tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,449 ✭✭✭✭cson

Christ this thread... Bordeaux were simply next level, we wouldn't have got within a score of them with our A-game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Really don't understand how anyone can realistically think Connacht can beat Saracens away from home. Both sides will be smarting after last weekend but it would be a gigantic leap of faith to see Connacht overturn the English champions on their own patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

the Facebook Connacht fan pages are some craic, its like a civil war in there 🤣

https://www.facebook.com/groups/189094471702778/?ref=share

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭GBXI

Completely disagree with this. Bordeaux were very good, and much better than most expected them to be, but Connacht had so many visits to their 22 throughout the game and only came away with 5 points. Poor lineout throws, poor mauls, lack of set-piece moves all contributed to Connacht's lack of scores here. An in-form Connacht team scores at least two more tries. They may still have lost but it would have been a much closer game. Also, team selection! Carty would have been a way better choice to play 10. Much better kicker from hand and would have kicked more than Hanrahan did. Anyway, the manner of the loss is what has people most upset. The team are devoid of confidence and that speaks volumes about the coaching staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

This Sarries is not Sarries of old. The pack is not going to steamroll others. For me, Boyle starts long with Niall M. Conn. can certainly do a # on them. I reckon it will be a close game and depending on Carty/Jj, a win is possible. Of course, dependon Carty/JJ brings a lot of problems too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭typhoony

So Donnacha Callaghan laying into Connacht for losing to a French side which came fully stacked to the Sportsground, meanwhile Munster draw against a half-stacked Bayonne team. Not sure which performance was worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users Posts: 38,172 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

They don't need to beat Saracens away. Bonus points will do. Four tries and finish within seven points will do.

I know that'll be very difficult but it's what they have to aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭StormForce13

Oops, wrong Farrell! 😳 [comment deleted.]

If we pick JJ or Jack for next game then what have we learnt. Only what we already know. And what we know is that neither are leading us anywhere. Which is why I just simply am at a loss when I witness comments that suggest we play Jack vs Sarries. What is the point? What will this achieve that we don't already know? It's just completely pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭dockysher

I like your optimism. I cant see us being within 15 points of them unfortunately though and that is me being optimistic. Especially now without hansen and with two poor kickers to choose from.

I just hope its not like last time we played them way back in 2014, lost 64-6

All the English sides had great results at weekend and english rugby is on the up again. Except saracens of course. But they had very hard away game, where not many teams get a result.

Advertisement