Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,551 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well it's also a good way to see if the Trump built Supreme Court would rule against him.

It could be look at how other cases against him would fair there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,412 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Fyi a very interesting latest edition of the podcast Talking Feds.

A point which stands out is how any one of the things trump did would torpedo the chances of any of the other candidates. Truly a cult of personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It would be strange if the Supreme court didn't expedite this case. It all feeds into can he be successfully prosecuted. The finding on that is critical as to whether he or Niki Haley is on the 2024 ballot.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭duck.duck.go

If they rule in Trumps favour that a president is above law (madness!) then what’s to stop Biden firing all their asses on the spot 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Decency, a belief in the rule of law, and democracy.

Whatever someone thinks about Trump, it is clear now that he is a threat to the very democracy that the patriots claim to hold dear. This election will really be a test to see if people are willing to put their love of their country ahead of their personal feelings.

I know that in every election both sides claim that this election is for the very soul of the country, but Trump has put that on the ballot. The people will get what they vote for and only have themselves to blame.

• Advertisement

Ruling in Trumps favour would destroy the rule of law and set precedent for dictatorship.

Hopefully the court throws this out tho I suspect they will stall for time and delay and delay

• Registered Users Posts: 28,358 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Before I scrolled down from the previous post, those words - decency and democracy - were the first two words that came to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,856 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Supreme Court has agreed to hear the case and trump and his lawyers have until December 20th to respond. This will be an important ruling whatever way it comes out as it will set the limits of immunity a president has.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

If they rule in Trump's favour, then they're basically declaring that a US President is a King/Queen and can do whatever they want without any consequence whatsoever. If that happens and Trump gets elected, it'll be the end of democracy in the States. Trump will appoint his successor and that'll be that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This is an acid test of just how much appetite the Conservative SC judges have for the Unitary Executive Theory: IIRC Kavanaugh wrote a paper in college arguing for it, so let's see if the rubber hits the road. If The President is seen as above all wrongdoing and essentially untouchable, then that's it; there's the point of no return for American Democracy 'cos al it would take would be a smarter Trump to become President-King.

That’s the thing this court (stuffed by Trump) if they rule in his favour would single-handedly destroy decency and democracy and the rule of law

what would the stop trump from let’s say appointing his son as successor or using the fbi to go after opposition or sending the army into states that refuse his authoritarianism or have trump kick out judges he doesn’t like or ignore elections and so on

this is literally a case that can trigger a civil war and undo the whole US constitution and kill their republic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Rudy repeated the claims outside court yesterday.

The defamation damages trial began Monday with jury selection and opening statements, but when court ended for the day, Giuliani, a former federal prosecutor and New York City mayor, continued to attack Freeman and Moss.

“Everything I said about them is true,” Giuliani told reporters.

“Of course I don’t regret it,” Giuliani then said when asked if he regretted his actions. “I told the truth. They were engaged in changing votes.”

When a reporter responded there was no proof of such an allegation, Giuliani said: “Oh you’re damn right there is. Stay tuned.”

Freeman and Moss want the trial judge to tell Giuliani that statements such as those are out of bounds in court from him or his lawyers.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

In theory , if the Supreme Court were to find in Trumps favour on this and decide that a President had "absolute immunity" then the next day Joe Biden could hop in his Corvette and drive to Mar a Lago and shoot Trump in the face and there's not a thing anyone could do about it.

THAT's the nonsense that Trump is trying to use to defend himself - Not that he didn't do it , but that because he was President (God/Emperor) then it doesn't matter because he IS the law.

Ha Biden should also go after the whole Trump crime family

to quote Trump

“I will appoint a real special prosecutor to go after the most corrupt president in the history of America, Joe Biden, and go after the Biden crime family.”

I don’t think Trump lawyers thought this one through

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

I see Trump was basically doing a standup comedy routine about Desantis a few days ago, talking about how Desantis looks like a bobble head doll in his high heels, and all Desantis could do was respond with a tweet. It's hilarious and pathetic how Desantis essentially stands there and take it because he thinks there's a chance he will inherit the throne. He will never inherit the throne *because* he stands there and takes it. This is how MAGA eats its young.

If I was Trump, I'd nearly be tempted to see how far I could push my mockery of "the kids table" and watch them impotently respond. If Trump held a rally and presented a photoshop of himself having sex with Ron Desantis' wife, remarking, "this is what it would look like with a real man, honey..." what could Ron actually do more than a strongly worded tweet? I mean, there are lots of things he could do, but my sense is that he has too much sunk cost in the Republican party to actually do any of them.

A point raised in that podcast I mentioned earlier... Anyone trying to do an impression of trump does really badly. While he's around, it won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Im sure many of you have watched The Comey Rule, starring Jeff Daniels. If you havn't I'd highly recommend it.

It dramatises very well the suspected interference by Russia into the 2016 election.

With the Republican controlled house denying further aid to Ukraine in their war of resistance against Russia. Surely someone in the FBI is wondering if there is further interference going on right now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,856 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

If Donald trump believes that he(and by extension any future president) can do whatever they feel like and be akin to a monarch.

Which is funny given that the US fought for independence to get away from the UK and the crown.

Also, why did Nixon need a pardon from Gerald Ford in 1974 ? Also, why was trump saying only a few months ago, that he could still pardon himself ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's all utter nonsense and like everything he does it's all about him and helping him.

He doesn't care about the implications for anyone other than him.

If it keeps him out of jail he'll happily burn the entire world down.

If SCOTUS rules in his favour in January then Biden could use the next 12 months to do whatever he felt like.

He could have Trump arrested , have his assets seized , announce that he was appointing Hunter as Attorney General to investigate the Trumps and Kushners or whatever else he fancied.

And as long as Biden could buy off 41 Senators from either side , there's nothing that anyone could do to stop him.

And he could buy them off with Government money and again , no one could stop him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

DeSantis hasn't ran the best campaign and bar divine intervention is dead but one of the few things he has done right last few months he has taken the gloves of when it comes to attacking Trump. He has gone after him consistently as has his online campaign tbf.

If anything he has damaged his campaign even more so by going aggressive on Trump unlike Haley who is hoping she may be able to snag the Trump endorsement down the line if something was to happen to Trump legally/medically.

Has he really taken the gloves off? What stinging jabs has he sent Trump stumbling backwards with? I watched the 4th Republican debate and the only one I saw calling Trump what he is was Chris Christie. He's the only one saying that Trump and Trumpism are swallowing the American Conservative movement like a serpent, and he's paying for that stance by being the least popular of the four candidates on stage. Therein lies the problem - the other three are trying to take Trump down without alienating Trump's base. Sort of an unsquareable circle, really. I suppose it doesn't matter because Trump is, what, 50 points ahead nationwide?

They are incapable of doing anything to win this race as those actions would lose them the next one - That's the problem and it has terrified them into stasis.

Tear Trump down in the Primaries and "win" but in doing so alienate 20-25% of the GOP who are hard Core Trump zealots and lose the Presidential election in a landslide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭amandstu

Yes this occurred to me too.If SCOTUS rules that the President has immunity they are giving the present (or any )President carte blanche to do whatever they wish to prevent the election of ,in this instance Trump.

SCOTUS will ,presumably work out this "fine point" of constitutional law.

Perhaps their only choice is to refuse to take the case.

In that event ,would the Appellate Court be also practically obliged to refuse to take it ?

That would leave things as they stand with Trump going to trial in March.

(Or can Trump still find a way to delay the process?)

@Quin_Dub "announce that he was appointing Hunter as Attorney General to investigate the Trumps and Kushners"

That would actually be right out of Trump's playbook. ;-)

Post edited by amandstu on

They've agreed to take it now , so we'll get a decision one way or the other fairly soon.

If they find in Trumps favour then basically ALL the cases against Trump collapse with the possible exception of the fraud trials in NY.

But all the election cases die there and then.

Assuming that SCOTUS isn't completely insane , they will find against him - Or at least clearly define the scope of "Presidential Immunity" to allow for the cases to go ahead.

Trump will no doubt try to find 101 other things to appeal about as for him it's not about winning or losing in court it's about getting to next November without getting convicted in the hopes that he wins and can just shut it all down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

TBF the SCOTUS can still refuse to grant certiorari, they basically say 'get this crap out of our courtroom, live with what the Appelate court comes up with.'

Smith is engaging in a stare-down with the SCOTUS, this is going to be pretty interesting, and terrifying, too. Might be one of the most consequential days in SCOTUS history, moreso than Dobbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

For sure.

Ron's strategy from day 1 has to beat Trump from the right of the party. He has hammered him non stop on covid restrictions, failure to build the ball and him not showing up to the debates. The problem for him is because he is doing it on conservative platforms its not been picked up a lot of others.

The reason for the lack of success is the party simply prefer Trump over RDS. Trump has something like 70 or so percent favorability with the party base while RDS has around 60%, the party like RDS but they idolize Trump for better or most likely worse.

• Advertisement

I think that if they could do that, then they would. There's no plan they're holding back on because it would lose them a GE. OK, they'd prefer to win a GE, obviously, but knocking Trump off his perch and becoming the new Republican royalty, would be a hell of a runner up prize, especially with respect to their current standing as pathetic worms who have to just stand there and take Trump's endless jibes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement