Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The amendment if passed may/ will have the effect of encouraging more couples who are starting families down the road of 'durable relationships' whatever that means. Whereas civil marriage and the protections emanating from it, offer a clear and well established path that help protect the interests of the couple and any resulting children.

We have no idea what could constitute 'durable relationships'. They could be cohabiting couples living a family life that parallels normal married couples. They could equally be all manner of 'blended families' with men having children with multiple women or durable relationships involving multiple partners and so on. These latter arrangements are not all roses for the people involved, usually the women and mothers get the worst rub.

Is that what you propose to equate? And how do you define 'durable relationship'. Don't give the lazy answer that the politicians or courts will decide, that's giving carte blanche.

My own instinct is that the Irish public will look at this and the possible implications and will say no........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭plodder

That's really interesting thanks. It does say this however:

The Court held that the definition of “partner” in the 2015 Regulations denotes a person with whom the Union citizen has a connection which is personal in nature, and which is akin to, or broadly akin to, marriage.

So, would that apply to this constitutional provision as well? The Taoiseach mentioned the family headed by grandparents example. The context above is immigration law and what he has in mind is potentially a lot broader than that.

Who knows? We'll have to see how the courts interpret it ... if it passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,713 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

My own instinct is that the Irish public will look at this and the possible implications and will say no........

Do you reckon they’re the same voters among the Irish public who see themselves as a family, while the Constitution doesn’t? There are plenty of families who will be voting in favour of the amendment, whereas the numbers of those people who see the amendment as being a threat to the validity of their relationship, is unlikely to be in double figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There are hundreds and hundreds of examples where the government has legislated on something without explicit Constitutional provision for it to do so

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I don't see it as any threat to the validity of our civil marriage. I'd be more concerned about the effects on our society as a whole, as outlined above.

As to percentages, time and the ensuing debate will tell.

• Advertisement

The effects will be that families which previously weren’t recognised in Irish law, would be recognised in Irish law. That’s the effect on Irish society as a whole. It’s not as though families which previously weren’t recognised in law will spring up out of nowhere 😳

Not sure there’s likely to be much of a debate either tbh, civil society groups have had a pretty muted response to the proposed wording as it’s such a watered down effort from what they were hoping for -

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/1210/1421127-referendums-analysis/

Well we may also note civil society groups that will favour retention of existing article. I fully expect a range of concerns will be laid out in due course. And it'll be up to those who wish to see change to persuade those who have doubts. Isn't that how it always is?

I think you missed the point there horse - civil society groups who have campaigned for decades for much stronger and wider ranging protections are not amused by the proposed wording, they’re not too interested in engaging in public debate about proposals they really aren’t arsed with one way or the other. I don’t see anyone giving a shìt about people with ‘doubts’.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭suvigirl

The amendment if passed may/ will have the effect of encouraging more couples who are starting families down the road of 'durable relationships' whatever that means. 

The amendment will encourage people not to get married? Do you really believe that anyone conducts their private lives based on the constitution?

People are in durable relationships, this won't affect anything in their lives until they need the constitutional protections given to the family, and if they ever do, they will be there after this referendum.

That's vague. What would you see as the effects on society as a whole?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The poster is angling for a "if you don't know, vote no" scenario, which doesn't really apply here.

The current wording of the constitution could be used by future governments to deny those rights, it's highly unlikely (and unpopular and the EU would step in to stop it). I would view it as similar to the blasphemy entry which wasn't enforced but could have been.

---

I am dreading to see which lunatics and nutjobs they have to find to have balanced debate for this on the radio and tv, 24 pages here and not a single poster has been coherent about why to vote no, which means scraping the bottom of the barrel for "balance". Rónán Mullen will have their work cut out not to appear completely deranged and will spend 90% of the time subverting what it's about.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Has Mullen ever been able to not appear completely deranged

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

The above quoted judgement did not define a durable "relationship" it only defined a durable "partnership" which they defined as follows: "The Court held that the definition of “partner” in the 2015 Regulations denotes a person with whom the Union citizen has a connection which is personal in nature, and which is akin to, or broadly akin to, marriage."

The proposed change to the wording in Constitution is: The State recognizes the Family, whether founded on marriage or on other durable relationships, as the natural primary and fundamental unit group of Society......

As far as I can figure it out, under this proposed wording, a single parent family will still be not considered a family under the Constitution?

I think you're maybe forgetting that not every 'civil society' group is in favour of change. Take groups like the ICA www.ica.ie, I don't know what their stance is but I suspect they may well have reservations. And so on. There's a lot of water to go under the bridge between now and polling day and I think people will engage with this and most certainly care a ****, as you put it.

If the amendment were to pass, of course it will give a state imprimatur to undefined 'durable relationships' being on a par with marriage. Night follows day.

Terry Pratchet

Sounds like you go out of your way to find issues/problems in order to fit into your personal negative stereotypes of women.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

Because by definition a one parent family is not in a relationship.

Yes they are. A parent and child relationship!

The whole point of this amendment is to recognise "family" as much more than man, wife and child.

That could include;

Single parent and child

Married couple with Foster child

Grandparent raising grandchild

Cohabiting couple raising raising children

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

While it’s a complex issue that easily gets politicized, some people would point to most African-American children being born into two-parent married families up to the 1960s, and then the rapid shift to unmarried single mother families since then. And the poverty etc that follows from that. Now only 30% of African-American children are born into 2 parent families.

I DONT believe the “durable” wording in the referendum will bring some societal disaster, but I do think there is a purpose to marriage/civil partnership as a means of encouraging stable relationships for children, and for society in general.

Post edited by donaghs on

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭greyday

Whats a woman?

Do we have an accepted definition?

On the flip side of that the current wording means children in being raised within non marital families often don't have legal rights to Constitutional protection of their families

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The Home Carers tax credit was introduced specifically for stay at home parents, it was later extended to those with small, part-time incomes.

That is not available to families when both parents work.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• An adult person with two X chromosomes, occasionally less than 2 if they have Turners Syndrome, that’s the biological description.

Currently same sex couples ( 2 men for example) with children are a family under our constitution. How does that sit with your ideas about women

Advertisement