Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Was anyone in athenry for the limousin sale? Just wondering how'd it go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,891 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I caught the end of it online. If the auctioneer Chandler was anything to go by, it was a poorish sale.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

I was thinking that but it's hard to know when your not there. Some really nice bulls sold for handy money I thought. I was wondering did the latest icbf thing upset the sale.

I see this fella is in AI now with Progressive - LISNA SOME BULL

Video | Facebook

ICBF Animal Search

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Don't worry Patsy icbf will have him down to 1 * in no time

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Saw on Facebook the Irish Salers Society has a similar post where they show the letter they sent with their issues. Hopefully this noise continues and doesn't go away until something is done

Here's all you need to know about the new values. Just look at the 4 Star value, the 60% percentile mark. Some of the breeds in descending order. So Dexters are the way to go. Oh Boy .......

Breed-Percentiles-November-2023.pdf (icbf.com)

Dexter - €126

Simmental - €118

Limousine - €108 (spelled wrong, by the way 😎)

Charolais - €82

Belgian Blue - €34 they got really hammered.

Post edited by patsy_mccabe on

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Was over in America during September and happened to go to a local fair that was on which had a cattle show. All the cattle looked similar and not for the good either. No tall cattle, all low to the ground with great depth in fairness but no width whatsoever. Irish cattle would eat them for size and width. I feel this is the way ICBF is going with cattle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭148multi

Is anyone using sexed semen and how is it working out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

I've used 10 CWI sexed straws.Two Ivor and one Montesqieu straw.All on heifers.Have 5 CWI heifers and one Ivor heifer.About 50%conception.One of the Cwi heifers calved down an Ivor sexed straw a few weeks back

CWI a 2007 born bull, went from 5 Stars (98% Rel) to 3 Stars (99% Rel) in the space of 2 months. Says it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

To the man with the hammer, everything looks like a star waiting to be hammered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

He’s a decent bull, easy calved (put him on heifers) calves are good quality and the daughters make good cows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

What Lm bulls people using this year from Munster AI? I had been using LM2117 but he got downed in the last round.

Going to use LM4217 (which I have been for the last year or 2) and LM4351.

Anyone use LM4351? Seems a good alrounder, proven and easy calving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,285 ✭✭✭tanko

IF the Limousin society and all the other breed societies had a pair of balls between them at the beginning of all this they wouldn’t be in the mess they’re in now, they blindly adopted the Eurostar system at the start without knowing what they were getting themselves into. The biggest culprits in all this are the IFA as usual, a pile of IFA lads sitting on the ICBF board fast asleep but farmers will keep throwing millions at them every year, you couldn’t make it up, has to be the best example of Stockholm Syndrome i’ve ever seen. I wonder how many pedigree breeders and commercial suckler farmers who are unhappy with their stars are IFA members. NCBC have been an embarrassment in all this also. It’s funny to see their new star bull Powerful Propers figures go through the floor.

There is good enough money in the current SCEP scheme because you only have to calve 50% of the cows you get paid on but this might be the last of these schemes worth joining. There are only 17000 farmers in SCEP. I have my doubts if the next scheme will be worth joining but sure that’s what they’re aiming for.

The minutes of the ICBF meetings where the decisions to make these changes were made should be published so that farmers can see who is fighting their corner and who isn’t, no danger of that happening of course. Why haven’t the IFA board members spoken publicly about what has gone on and why. Whatever credibility ICBF had is gone now, they’re just a bunch of well paid puppets for the anti farming nutters. ICBF are just fiddling the figures to suit the we have to get rid of Sucklers agenda, watching Sean Coughlan trying to defend the new figures was laughable stuff, it’s obvious he doesn’t believe a word of what he’s saying. Saying that farmers would be better to breed replacements off Dexter bulls rather than Charolais bulls is the last straw, they’ve lost the plot completely now.

Maybe I’m wrong but LM 4351 isn’t a bull I’d use, his only use would be on heifers hoping for a replacement heifer, according to his figures he has a very long gestation if that can be believed, not a bull for cows anyway. NCBC don’t have much of a selection of Limousin bulls now, it’s fairly embarrassing for them to be buying a son of the Bova bull Loyal (Lisna Some Bull). Doveas selection of Limousin bulls is way better imo, Bova also.

Bova still have Gamin (ZGM) by the way, for those interested. Only talked to them during the week.

• Advertisement

Have one cow in calf to him but nothing yet. The AI guy had the straws so I said I'd try one anyway.

Thanks ST, looking at the numbers, additional cost and conception rates would a man be as well use normal straws for suckler cows.

Have you used Montesquieu much, what do you think of him?

Only twice.On a Cwi heifer.She didn't hold to the sexed straw but held to the 2nd serve.same bull.She calved 2 weeks ago.Small,very lively bull calf.Good calf but seems to lack a bit of length.

It's frustrating when they don't hold but I have lovely CWI heifers from sexed straws calving down to Ivor heifers from sexed straws now.I should have good cows from these going forward which should more than compensate the cost of those repeats.Have only used on heifers.Im sure conceptions rates would be lower with cows.

Tried normal straws on others hoping for heifers and of course nearly all bull calves. I would use sexed again but have been told Insemination needs to be closer to 12 hrs rather than 18 -24 hrs to be successful.

Yes,they were all Ai'd 12hrs after standing.

Is it mad to try lisna some bull on heifers. I've a pair of big scopey saler heifers which will be calving at 30 months

Are straws off him available yet? Looking at his breeding he shouldn’t be hard calving but better play it safe with heifers imo. I’d put Knottown Roy or Manclaux on them, a 3/4 bred Saler is a grand animal especially if you get a heifer, plenty of time for the Lim bull the second time and the Charolais after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

You must have shares in Knotts town Roy ur always giving him a shout 😉, have u any heifers off him calved yet.Have one myself due in April a big range lady and quiet as a lamb

Advertisement