Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭batistuta9

You'll never know if you're not running the latest updates. You able to find any others with the problem online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭larchielads

Yep been lookin the past couple of days found plenty people wit the problem but no one wit permanent solution

They on latest software? What's happening exactly, is it losing the time & date then won't connect because it's wrong

Yeah basically once i plug it out/turn it off when i go to bed i plug in and turn on next day wont connect to internet until i change date and time manually. Date and time go back to like 2 yrs ago. So i gotta manually update date and time to present and then it works. Even when i leave it on auto update date and time same thing happens

Very annoying, was going to say swap between auto & manual to see if it helped.

What about just leaving it in standby

• Advertisement

Was thinkin that but it doesnt fix the issue. Should be able to plug it out though without it losing internet when i plug it back in like its supposed to do. Ive been pluggin it out nightly for years wit no issues til now

So been lookin on line again and your suggestion of just leaving it plugged in is what some are recommending, they have said its not a perm fix but seems to be only way of avoidin the issue for now. So looks like ill be taking your advice thank you ill report back in a few days see how i get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

A couple of years back there was an issue with the time and date which I believe was fixed in an update ,which you maybe haven't go to.

An alternative is leave it on sleep rather than turn it off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You have to unplug it to do a soft reset. Which seems odd why they don't have a button like a router does.

Perhaps that's why it's causing an issue with your settings. Sounds like a bug. I only unplug mine when trouble shooting. Never had to set the time though. Occasionally it hunts for the WiFi.

Ever since an update mine (2019) seems to rebuild the an index on the external drive , every time it's turned on. Because it's a large drive 5TB it seems to take ages. It's very hard to find decent movie player that just reads the file structure and doesn't use meta data. I bought it mostly for that and it's been it's been just ok.

They've been very poor with updates and support.

Shield fully updated, and puttin it to sleep seems to have solved the issue for now........

• Advertisement

Should test it now with the unplugging to see if it's sorted with those updates.

I did but still happens so end up fixin time and date again and now its left plugged in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Anyone still have a 2017 and have iPlayer working? Was planning to get Getflix for iPlayer but hear iPlayer doesn't work on the original shield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The original shield is the 2015 version, I have 3 of them and iPlayer works on 2, but not the 3rd without enabling the app via FX explorer(,Other file explorers are available) just on that one it appears to be region locked via Shield localisation and I've never figured out a way to keep it permanently enabled. Everytime.that particular one power cycles, BBC needs to be re-enabled.

I use Getflix and have an Asus router that allows me route DNS requests via IP address. iPlayer and all other UK localisations work fine for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,892 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have a 2019 Pro running 8.3 firmware (so no half-screen ads/promos) and love it, but looking for something a bit more portable for travelling. I mostly use Plex, and some of the streaming apps.

Have a Firestick 4K and it's OK but I prefer the flexibility and performance of the Shield. Also having the network/LAN port is great if the local WiFi is poor.

Considered the Shield (tube) but the general consensus seems to be that's it's crap for the money and especially compared to the Pro.

So is there a Firestick/Tube-type device out there with the customisation and flexibility of the Shield Pro with a LAN port?

Could get a mi stick its android and buy a usb Lan adapter That might do ye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

Or Chromecast and cast from Plex app on your phone

My Mrs has discovered the joyously easy Freeview TV app via a Philips Android TV that I have in the mancave. So there is a strong likelihood that another of my 2015 shields will be retiring soon. If it is, I'll be back to post the sales listing in case anyone here is interested in it.

Well the Wife has spoken and a single Freeview app to rule them all has made my Nvidia Shield a Consola Non Grata😁

It's listed over on adverts, link below in case anyone is interested.

https://touch.adverts.ie/media-players/nvidia-shield-16gb-2015/33184934

Thanks to the buyer 👍

Post edited by banie01 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

I have a spare Shield adapter/plug if anyone wants it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Is it a given that Nvidia won't be releasing a new Shield? Bought it back in 2020 and it's the best 220 quid I ever spent. I've a very occasional gamer and signed up on the Founders version of Geforce Now as a result of buying it. Serious bargain alert! But everything about it is just slick, speedy and reliable.

Reformed character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,892 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Likewise.. have mine about 3/4 years now and it's still an excellent piece of hardware. I really only use it for Plex and other streaming services and still have it on the 8.x firmware (so no intrusive half-page ads taking up the screen) and would happily upgrade to a newer model if they released it, but to be fair I don't really see any issues with the one I have yet.

I keep an eye on potential alternatives but there doesn't seem to be one. Firesticks are being increasingly locked down (and the UI is full of ads anyway) and I'm not intrested in Chromecast as the whole benefit (for me) is to not have a dependency on my phone - it's a wholly self contained multi player/streamer and that's what I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

I don't know how anyone can compare the shield and a fire stick. Shield is a fantastic piece of kit, way better than fire stick. Fire sticks drove me mad over the years with clunky interface, pushing buttons on controller and nothing happening, etc. Shield is smooth and quality. Have two on the go (pro and TV) for different rooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Chromecast with google TV is not phone dependant, it’s a standalone streaming stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Does anyone else have an issue where the home screen of the shield is now full of ads from google?

Cant see an option to remove them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭savemejebus

That's how the android TV default lanucher is now unfortunately. I switched over to FLauncher myself and am pretty happy with it.

As save me jebus has said, that's the way android launcher is these days. It came in on an update a couple of years ago at this stage.

I put my shield behind an ad-blocker and now the only ad I get is for the last Thor movie. It was 1of the asd playing when I blocked ad traffic.

Its a PITA to have ads served on the home screen IMO but Google & Nvidia will likely argue it's a small price to pay for a still regularly updated OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Thanks foe the replies lads, i just wondered as it only started happening a few weeks ago. Never had all these ads before

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭theintern

Lots of people recommend Projectivy launcher. I haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,698 ✭✭✭corks finest

No thank God but I've location etc off ,wonder if that's got anything to do with it?

Also I've an old model

Advertisement