Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The last Album You Listened to.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭dasdog

Had a conversation last night about how generous Mustaine was in his song writing - personality is a different story. What a regular band would make five songs out with riffs he'd squeeze in to one. I must give business another shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

Piledriver - Status Quo. Still sounds as good 51 years later ...

I ordered this new - don't like doing that. It's not really a thrash metal album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's actually really simple, the more notes you play the less appeal you have to the mainstream

Obviously there's exceptions , rush were huge 😂although as my missus would testify the ladies toilets are usually empty at their shows.

• Advertisement

Picked up a few of their mid-70's albums this year. 3 for £10 in the UK markets.

Brilliant stuff great bargains- Piledriver, Hello, On The Level, Blue For You all classics - started to go downhill after that to utter tripe!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

It's all about the different phases with the Quo.

The Pye era covering the first four albums is savage, probably my favourite. Then the classic Vertigo records you mention.

1977+ sees a drop in quality but IMHO not as much as people say. An almost poppier sound, especially the singles.

The 1980s albums have their moments especially Never Too Late (1981), Ain't Complaining (1988) and Perfect Remedy (1989). Love the 12" versions of the Ain't... singles. Also enjoyed 1991's Rock Till You Drop and 2002's Heavy Traffic. The bonus material on the so-called rubbish albums is actually pretty decent. On Thirsty Work you get them covering Leonard Cohen's Democracy.

All of this might depend on what age you started listening to them. I first became aware of the Quo when they released Dear John so the 1980s was my era.

Maybe I am a little harsh !!! My era is slightly earlier . But you are right, WYW and Never too late are decent albums and proposing has some good tracks. I stopped buying quo for years after Don't Stop, a dreadful album. Heavy traffic brought me back into the fold !!! - its a good album as you say. I could never take to them doing covers and as for the gimmicks over the years we'll let that lie 😀.

At least we got to see the Frantic 4 live !!!!

This arrived today.

Got it on cd when it came out and stumbled upon this vinyl while browsing the other day.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Big fan of Ren here. Was very surprised to not see Sick Boi on Guardians top 50 albums of the year. Apparently they're just not into him.

But it's so refreshing to hear a man talking about weaknesses, mental health etc. And it is an absolute cracker of an album.

My 6 year old quite like his stuff with The Big Push, far more poppier.

I hope he carries on his upward trajectory, because I really hope him and Billie Eilish could work on something together.

Mama's Boys - Plug it in.

The needle is in the groove for sure 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Listening to this classic right now.

Having a pint of Vietnow in a pub earlier and a tune from this came on. One of the overlooked albums from last year. The Guardian at least picked up on it and had it in their top 50 of the year. Grian Chatten from Fontaines DC solo LP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Ruby Tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭limnam

On Grado RS1x headphones. Stunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Bondage Fairies - What You Didn't Know When You Hired Me

• Advertisement

April 1963. Schifrin meets Tjader.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Runnin' Wild by Airbourne.

The best AC/DC album that AC/DC never released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I am glad you liked it too. It has taken over three years for someone to notice my post!!

That's really good. Friend of mine has an album copy of the Dirty Harry soundtrack Schifrin did which is one of the best atmospheric soundtracks in film but I'll have to get a copy of that.

Have a few other Tjaders - especially recommend Last Bolero In Berkeley & Solar Heat

It's a name completely unfamiliar - I'll definitely be checking out more. I got this marked "Autografiado" in Bilbao a few years ago for a tenner. It's okay, nothing brilliant.

I have heard that Marquis de Sade Dissection one before but didn't spring for it.

My favourites of his are

There's a Whole Lalo Schifrin Goin' On

Rock Requiem

Towering Toccata

I remember buying Sudden Impact & The Best Of Dirty Harry from Freak Out c 1993 - got me on the path to other soundtrack stuff - https://www.discogs.com/release/14731651-Lalo-Schifrin-Jerry-Fielding-Sudden-Impact-And-The-Best-Of-Dirty-Harry

Seeing as I'm stuck at home for weekend, a chance to play some old favourites

Wax Poetics said "Winds, Sky and Diamonds opens with a cover of Eric Burdon and the Animals’ San Franciscan Nights. In the intro, Szabo invites his old friends from Budapest to San Francisco, after he had to leave his home country in 1956 in the aftermath of the Hungarian Revolution: “The following song is dedicated to the city and the people of San Francisco, who may not know it, but they are beautiful. And so is their city…. Save up all your bread and fly Trans-Love Airways to San Francisco, USA. Then maybe you’ll understand this song. It will be worth it; if not for the sake of this song, but for the sake of your own peace of mind.” It’s as if Szabo recorded the album for those who couldn’t make the transatlantic trip, to feel 1967’s winds of change."

They were class last year in Malahide. Lovely evening for it too.

I'm piecing together the Essential Mix from Glastonbury 1995 (Danny Rampling). Trance/Goa/Techo/Drum&Bass/The Orb etc. A lot of detective work involved but I got these lot from a discogs seller in Newtownards.

This is en route and although the most expensive so far €18 was reasonable.

• Advertisement

Advertisement