Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

I have not really paid much attention to this proposed referendum so I'll have to do a bit more research. So my understanding so far is that a minimum of any two persons can call themselves a family once they have a (as yet undefined) durable relationship?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Anyone can call themselves anything they like.

A non married family will hopefully have the same protections as a married family, if it passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

Zappone did explain it very well during the same sex marriage referendum but I can't really remember what protections are denied a non marital family. I will have to do a bit more research!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It could also include durable polyamorous relationships with several partners and children. Is Irish society ready to accept this arrangement as a family? Tolerated maybe by turning a blind eye but I very much doubt if we're ready yet to see this idea welcomed.

edit to correct spelling

Post edited by Furze99 on

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭briangriffin

Article 41 .1 of the constitution states " The State recognises the Family as the natural primary and fundamental unit group of Society, and as a moral institution possessing inalienable and imprescriptible rights, antecedent and superior to all positive law. "

Article 41.3 then states " The State pledges itself to guard with special care the institution of Marriage, on which the Family is founded, and to protect it against attack."

Whatever way you look at it marriage is devalued by this proposed referendum - its hardly being guarded with special care by giving the exact same rights to those that are married as those that are not married (cohabitating) - the obvious promotion by the state of marriage as being the foundation of family no longer applies. The state should promote what is best for society, for children women and men. That is Marriage because of the stability it provides to women and children and that should be promoted for the good of all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I agree, both parties should be treated equally.

But what would the non married family not receive today, that the married family do receive?

Other than a married tax credit.

Will the Referendum passing mean the non married family will be treated equally from a tax perspective?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Fine Gael TD Neale Richmond openly admitted on Virgin Media last week that the government's desired change for the definition of family in the constitution to 'any durable relationship' is in part aimed at expanding the eligibility scope for family reunification applications for immigrants...."This has serious consequences, particularly when we think of immigration law and proving that someone is a family member...or family reunification. This will allow that to be accommodated as well."

The cabinet has warned changing the definition of family to any "durable relationship" in the constitution could affect the family reunification program Since 2015, all asylum seekers granted refugee status or subsidiary protection can apply for family reunification, where a family is defined as someone's spouse, parents, and any children under 18. Before 2015, the definition of family for the purposes of family reunification also included grandparents, children over 18, siblings, nephews, and nieces. 

Minister David Stanton told the Dáil that this definition of family resulted in refugees bringing an average number of 20 family members to Ireland. The highest case was over 70. Local authorities were struggling to house them all, so the govt decided to reduce the scope. However, the NGO sector want to revert to the old definition of family again, so the referendum to expand the definition of family in the constitution could give them more options to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I wouldn't think so.

Tax law could be changed tomorrow to allow so-called 'common law' couples to benefit from the same tax treatment as married couples.

In other jurisdictions, for example, people co-habiting for not less than 3 years may apply for such treatment by the Revenue authority.

The proposed referendum would be incidental to such a policy move.

It means that legislation that discriminates between married families and non married families, will be unconstitutional.

So it will depend on the legislation covering those issues. I don't know anything about tax affairs of married people 😊

No one is taking the protections away, no matter how many times you repeat it.

• Advertisement

Thanks, but what legislation currently discriminates between married and unmarried families?

I am not saying there arent any, I just dont know what they are. (other than income tax credits)

There has been a few pointed out throughout the thread

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

This 20 people thing that's doing the rounds online is false. This guy on twitter has looked at the actual numbers.

This is who you can apply to have join you:

So unless you have a wife and 19 kids under 18, or you are under 18 and have 2 parents and 18 siblings under 18, you can't apply to have 20 people brought over.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

On death, the unmarried partner is basically treated as a stranger to the deceased. Can have big inheritance tax implications.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Indeed. That was the only other one I could think of!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭techdiver

Whilst a welcome addition to single income houses with a stay at home parent it still doesn't come close to making up for the changes to tax individualisation that happened in 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's upto the government to legislate to define durable relationships

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The government can legislate on durable relationships so that wouldn't concern me to be honest

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Not really no. Marriage wasn't devalued by allowing for divorce or equal marriage.

Terry Pratchet

Where are you getting that statistic from? It's not true.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

No it couldn't. That would be unconstitutional.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Lol.

Do you actually believe that gay/lesbian/single parent/widow/widower/non-parent carer relationships only make up 5% of family units in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And therein lies the nub of this - asking the public to buy a pig in a poke. No thanks.

Terry Pratchet

Times change. Family structures have changed. Marriage itself has considerably changed. Traditions of marriage have changed. Even the focus by you exclusively on "civil marriage" is not something envisaged in 1937. Updating the constitution to reflect the reality that not all families are based on marriage isn't exactly a pig in a poke - it is updating the law to reflect families do not fit neatly into the same box they always have upto now. I'm not strongly in favour or against this amendment myself as I would preferred the wording proposed by the Oireachtas committee. But I feel a lot of the fears need to be discussed in depth as I think personally they are unfounded but need to be adequately interrogated. I'm not convinced myself by the fear polygamy is going to become a thing provided for in law.

Post edited by Annasopra on

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭greyday

I thought that definition had been thrown in the bin, I questioned why even have a referendum when it seemed like anyone could claim to be a woman.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Surely you're not suggesting that far right activists are hugely exaggerating an issue to try to scare people off socially progressive developments?

Advertisement