Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Canada goes as far South as California.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

^^^ 70% of Canada is below the line or 70% of Canadians live below it?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's an egregious error in that graphic. the black line does not follow the 49th parallel.

A new ocean is forming in Africa along a 35-mile crack that opened up in Ethiopia in 2005. The crack, which has been expanding ever since, is a result of three tectonic plates pulling away from each other.

It’s thought that Africa’s new ocean will take at least 5 million to 10 million years to form, but the Afar region’s fortuitous location at the boundaries of the Nubian, Somali and Arabian plates makes it a unique laboratory to study elaborate tectonic processes.

There are still some big unknowns, including what is causing the continent to rift apart. Some think that a massive plume of superheated rocks rising from the mantle beneath East Africa could be driving the region’s continental rift.

Each plate boundary in the Afar region is spreading at different speeds, but the combined forces of these separating plates is creating what’s known as a mid-ocean ridge system, where eventually a new ocean will form.

The three plates are separating at different speeds. The Arabian plate is moving away from Africa at a rate of about 1 inch per year, while the two African plates are separating even slower, between half an inch to 0.2 inches per year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It can’t, they have to sneak in a few places to make it correct

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Donegal goes as far north as Alaska. (The mainland bit of Alaska).

In fact Ireland is more northerly than Alaska. The most southerly of the Aleutian islands is further south then Mizen Head.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I used to live in South bend, and everyone there used to warn me when I was going to be in Chicago to be careful because it was so dangerous. Chicago is not on the list.

I should say though that South bend near the university of Notre Dame is a very different than South bend once you get away from the university. In fact ND, which is the second richest university in America, has spent the last thirty years or so systematically buying up property in the area around the campus and gentrifying it to create a buffer zone between itself and the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It was always about money, but for completely different reasons than the ones you suggest. In the southern US geographic conditions meant that plantation farming (give a large, unskilled, cheap or free labour force) could be hugely profitable; the same geographic conditions did not prevail in the northern US and you simply couldn't make the same kind of money out of slaves. Hence the southern US grew extremely rich on a slave economy; that gave them a compelling financial interest in not recognising the moral abhorrence involved. The northern states didn't have the same vested financial interest in slavery.

The north did, in time, because as rich and then richer than the south. They did that through industrialisation, which requires a skilled and motivated workforce, which a slavery system generally can't provide.

So it comes down to this: southern prosperity was dependent on slavery; northern prosperity was not.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,006 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 25,006 ✭✭✭✭zell12

"I don't have an accent" large version

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's an abuse of language to claim 'blue states are farther north than canada' though. or it's lying by omission; 'the northernmost point in these states are further north than the southernmost point in canada' is not the same as 'they're farther north than canada' no matter how you spin it.

it'd be like saying i was higher up a ladder than you were, because my nose was at the same level as your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

For the life of me, I can't understand my friend who grew up in Tennessee.

We have longer conversations via whatsapp than face to face :/

---

---

---

+--

---

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Slightly misleading re: Nigeria. Death penalty only applies in the 12 northern states that have adopted Sharia law and then only to Muslims and those who have voluntarily accepted Sharia. Still pretty shitty though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Conclusion: Countries that have active adults have low numbers of workplace fatalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Evade

Not really. I know you're joking but Ireland, Denmark, and Poland all have similar workplace fatality rates but different levels of activity and Ireland and France have similar levels of activity but very different levels of workplace fatalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I could be wrong on this, but I think in France if you are killed in an accident whilst commuting, it's considered in the broader sense as a workplace accident, or a workplace related accident to be more specific.

There's definitely a European country that uses this parameter (and I think it is France at the behest of their unions), the thinking being that if you didn't have a job then you wouldn't be killed travelling to or from it.

I'll have a bit of a Google later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

---

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Perspective map of the Hawaiian Islands from the ocean floor of the Pacific.

Mauna Loa, the shield volcano on the largest island, Hawaii, is the tallest mountain on Earth when measured from the ocean floor. The Hawaiian island chain is, in fact, a chain of volcanoes that get progressively older and smaller as you move Northwest from Hawaii.

The chain was formed by the Pacific tectonic plate moving over a volcanic hot spot/mantle plume that created each island from the ocean floor one by one.

@Capt'n Midnight - I was actually going to post that one up! Beat me to it. 😁😁

Electric tram network in Sydney, 1949

Sydney's Tram system was at one point one of the most extensive in the world before it was removed in the 1950s.

• Advertisement

Map of the catchment of the Yangtze River in China.

Advertisement