Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

We’re in dero here for the last 10 years since I came home simply because land wasn’t available nearby. I leased land 8 miles away 10 years ago and up until 2 years ago it was the only real block available near on a lease. Have 3 other bits on yearly rental the last 5 years.

as you and others have said it’s easy say drop numbers or take extra land but if the land isn’t /hasn’t been there stocking the land you had higher was the best option. I’m lucky I managed to get extra land and we’re still at 250. Feel bad for guys that are doing to absolute best and fully rely on cows for a living and are having to reduce numbers by a substantial amount

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭straight

All this BS started with the banding. When farmers didn't stand up there, they knew what they could get away with. It's very hard to see any change of direction in policy over the next few years.

I own 55 hectares now and I would only be able to milk 84 cows on 40 hectare milking block @ 170 plus replacements in outblock. If things were going well for me I would tip into the top band and be cut back further.

The TD's can't understand why we don't just export slurry and contract rear heifers. It's all easy on paper I guess.

No land to rent around here and if there was there would be a big queue and the same old few lads fighting over it so I wouldn't be getting involved in that carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

Exactly like here have 4 different bits rented, 3 are conacre 2 of them without maps around 40 acres total which would have us closer to 170 than 225 where we’re currently at and other block was leased and is up for sale now and doing our best to hold onto it.

Lucky here all our land stayed outside 220 drop so been given a year to two hopefully to readjust system and maintain cow numbers if not increase them slightly and drop every other animal being kept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭green daries

But you just said 5 minutes ago it didn't matter and less was more. which is it. The banding was the biggest fook up in my eyes a fifth more nitrogen at the stroke of a pen. do lads not realise that costs have just about stopped rising. They arecnever returning to the levels they were a that's going to fook everyone's margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

What’s the issue with contract rearing …..I started it this year …..working extremely well and frees up nitrates space for cows …allowed me reseed a block into red clover and make better silage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

If you need to do work on the yard, do it. People said I was mad doing my parlour in a poor milk price year. Best thing I ever did. Saving hours everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭older by the day

None of us can be too smug. If for instance that derogation goes I know here in West cork that land will go through the roof. And it will take it out of reach from beef and small dairy farmers like myself.

It's ok to say that all your calf's will be reared off farm, but that can't happen for everyone. Farmers around here are getting older and don't want more work.

A big reduction to all the businesses that survived on us farmers, coop, transport, vets etc.

It's only a matter of time that if this comes in, they will start focusing on the stocking rate of the grazing platform. That would be the one to hurt.

Of course it's easy for them, with the cowards that dairy farmers are. When the beef alliance were blocking the meat factory gates, the IFA and the dairy farmers sat back. Now when the pressure is on us, the dairy farmer still wont get off his hole and protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭green daries

Most lads still don't get that they(as in we) are no longer the golden boys and are now the whipping boys.

I agree short term land will go bananas in certain areas. but that in my opinion will only hurry the lads going broke as far as I'm concerned . How much is an acre worth in a normal year at 170...... can anyone answer that. I'd say 80 euro an acre is the outside of it. That's if lads were honest with themselves

Dairy farmers won’t protest because the majority are mid 50s plus with a lot without successors so they’re the last generation this will affect, I was at one of them kerry new supplier group meetings a few months back counted about 5 under 30 out of 250 in attendance says enough. Young people just don’t want to go farming now and why would they when there’s lot softer money to be made outside the farm without the hassle.

If we buy the land we’re leasing now the loan will be in my name as parents are close to pension age not many my age would stay around to do that but I’ve no interest working in an office for the rest of my days so it’s a jump I’ll have to take and I enjoy farming.

Back 10 years ago pre quota abolition rolls Royce land was all out to make 200 and was probably the true max value of it but you could also put that down to a lack of demand in the land rental market at the time also.

Great job if you could find a good reliable person to do it for you. Someone for 2 or 3 years isn't even much good if you are left in the lurch again.

• Advertisement

Pure chance I got my contract rearer …..round about conversation about something else led to contract rearing and I said it’s something I’ll have to consider …..same lad rang me about 6 weeks later and we took it from there ….we both outlined how we’d like things to operate …no sticking points all agreed pretty quick …..I don’t even need to see stock regularly as lad doing it a serious stockman ……if dero goes and I’m forced out of milk this will be the route I’ll take and can’t figure why more aren’t doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

guys with 30acres around the house... 100cows... zerograzing.. landlocked... working on their own.. maybe bit of help from the wife to feed the calves... whats your suggestion for them?? and there is plenty of them around our area... (we're not one of them)

What is the margin per head for the contract rearer do you reckon if it’s so lucrative?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

The fact that 250 turned up for that meeting shows that there is a fair bit of interest in the long term oulook for dairy farms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Hopefully they have their money made and Fuk out in time is their best option ,plenty of clean 5 day week jobs available and why anyone would be cruciiying themselves at that crack any longer with all the new red tape and dimenishing returns

That's the point they won't be left work away. It's a matter of time they will focus on stocking rates on the grazing platform. Especially when the unions are so weak.

I'm sure you didn't get the point as your not the type to say " I'm fine, fuuuck the other fellow".

Thirty years ago you would need to fight to get inside the door of the West cork IFA monthly meeting. Now they could have it in a mini bus. It's the me' Fein approach that has farmers so weak

Not discussing our agreement and fees for obvious reasons but both sides happy

This thread is so so depressing. No one knows what's going to happen. The same stuff circled around numerous times. We can only work with what we have at the moment and speculation doesn't help.

I agree whelan

see/hear of a few ppl getting out lately and a good share of them are doing it due to lack of investment in facilities over the years, working with what they had. Things/life gets in the way I suppose and it’s hard to justify the spend but if you don’t keep ontop of it and keep some bit of investment going in with the way the environment is coming at dairy and how tight margins are your just heading towards the end of the road at dairy farming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭onrail

I'd second that. The auld boy here inherited a fair bit of land but never really capitalised on it. Milked 30, 40, 50 cows with a bit of dairy beef, always staying in his comfort zone, when he could have easily pushed on for double or treble with the right facilities.

I'm taking over the place here, but I couldn't dream of giving up the office job when there's probably 250k needed to invest in the farm and I need to build a house at the same time. Result is we'll probably have to get out of the cows.

I dont mean to blame the father, just as much my fault for working away from home in my 20s, but a little bit of work and improvement here and there over the years might have made the farming doable in the future

Sounds like you like the comfort zone yourself. Spending 250k and building a house is very doable.

It is but you have benefit of experience ….one of my big regrets was when I was in my mid 20s ….working off farm …good money my dad wanted me and would of helped with deposit to buy 5 acres and house with it …money wasn’t huge I could of done it but I was happy with my life living at home had money living life travelling felt if I bought it I wouldn’t be able to do any of that …..some idiot ….

We've all made mistakes, sure phuckit... what harm.

Yeah I get where you’re coming from. I often thought I would have liked to have gone and worked away from the farm in my 20s but In hindsight I think I’m better now that I didn’t. I probably would have got used to the easier life and with the current environment dairy farming is in now I would probably had no interest in coming back to the farm to start spending money. At least now I’m 4-5 years away from a lot of heavy investment in infrastructure paid off instead of having facing into it now

I definitely haven’t had the holidays/travel/experiences my own non farming friends have had and I am tied down a good bit more but im better off in other ways than they are too. Pros and cons to it all and I don’t know does anyone working for a living have it all

my own sister and BIL are paying off a 30 year mortgage and working full time, kid in crèche, only really see him at weekends, he’s up to bed an hour after being home during the week

I’ve 3 kids and I see them an awful lot during the day and I can take them with me if it suits. Don’t know can you put a price on that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭einn32

It is a complete joke the way the Nitrates regulations were implemented in Ireland by grouping counties together. What about actual soil science to implement the NVZ's and then we possibly wouldn't need to cover the entire country in NVZ's. Anyway too late now. The time to complain and take action was years ago. This argument won't stand up now after all this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,727 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Think thats the root of the current problems around the nitrates and dairy calf issues, plus failure to properly police rogue operators in this space brought down the Commission on us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭mf240

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Agree about the milking platform will come under scrutiny with stocking rate accessed, and soil analysis will come into play for water quality. Down the road water quality is where the whole stocking rate, nitrates use will be a big factor and in some areas where water is being extracted for human use the local authorities are looking at new housing developments and what type of sanitation systems suit for effluent.

• Advertisement

That's gas, it's like the song "every generation blames the one before" mike and the mechanics.

As I said before interest rates in the 70s and 80s were up to 20 percent. You might think it was so easy.

Well let you do better.

I was chatting to a guy home from England, eighties, crippled from work, made a pile of money in England. Owns a street of house's in London. His family all millionaires scattered around the world.

My father on the other hand is healthy, all the family living around. Never went to the mart or a funeral with out having a gallon, going down to the coop was a day spent meeting and talking.

The English cousin said he wished he never left the place.

I was with a few relations when they died and I never heard anyone of them wishing they had worked more

Advertisement