Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

She’s acting, does mostly theatre stuff and some small time TV, but seems mostly focused on being a mom.

had such a thing for her in the 00’s, she was my hall pass 😂, met her a few times, very nice lady

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭supereurope

Kerri Ann, singer managed by Louis Walsh who had some hits on the Irish charts in the summer/autumn of 1998. Seem to recall she was in a "showmance" with Stephen Gately. Despite appearing on the Now 40 compilation, UK chart success wasn't forthcoming, and she soon disappeared into obscurity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Works as a stylist, she's with some company called MiM management.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Here's a name that may ring a bell: Lady Antonia Wardell.

She was a fixture on RTE game shows and the like in the 60's and 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Glenda Gilson .... largely replaced by Vogue ...

Samantha Mumba ...

Ronan Tynan ...

Dolores Cahill, John Waters and Gemma O'Doherty .... thank god ....

Imelda May ... she has only herself to blame ... used to be good doing the old style not so much her new style ...

Podge and Rodge ....

Mick the Maverick ....

And ..... RYAN TUBRIDY !!!! .......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

i dunno why Ryan Tubridy is mentioned here so much, he definitely hasn't vanished out of the spotlight, there's a article or segment in news or online about him nearly every second day unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I don't think Imelda May has suddenly vanished either... her last album was 2021 and was Top 10. She pops up still on RTE, and was on Jools Holland last season also.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Mikey Graham.....former Boyzone "Hearthrob" seems to keeping a very low profile these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Hasn't he taken up cricket ?

Wishful thinking from the OP I imagine. I admit I dream of the day, maybe five years from now, when the question is asked seriously: "Whatever happened to Ryan Tubridy?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

And the answer is "Who?"

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Samantha Blandford Hutton. One of those "Irish model" zero listers that the Sindo used to feature in their lifestyle magazine during rhe Celtic Tiger era, a poor womans Kathy French. Was subsequently jailed for running a brothel.

was caught with the auld Peruvian marching powder also, done time for that

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Cool hibernia😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Morton would just have point and say “you”

I realised the Sindo was a rag when it unveiled "The 03 Team." I never read it again after that.

I don't want to say that Eimear was lucky to win, but a few factors certainly fell in her favour. First, 1996 was the last year the result was decided 100% by juries. Televoting came in in five countries the following year and everywhere in 1998, and I doubt the public would have voted for "The Voice" in big numbers. Second, the big favourite in 1996 was Gina G from the UK (what happened to her, btw?), and unfortunately, she decided to give a masterclass in singing out of tune. The public voters today wouldn't be bothered by this as long as they liked the song and the "show" but the juries back then would have taken a bad vocal very seriously. She was also the second song on, and famously, the song performed second at Eurovision has never won. Finally, Sweden was another hot favourite and actually won the qualifying round held that year (for the first and only time.) However, they were drawn last, and the three songs ahead of them were all dreary ballads, and I think most jurors had fallen asleep by the time Sweden came on stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Three dreary ballads in a row, was that a random selection or a choice by the organisers?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Joe McKinney - the guy from the famous Guinness ad back in the 1990's.....had a short stint in Glenroe but haven't heard much from him since.

• Advertisement

Back then it was a random draw to decide the running order. The 1996 draw is on YouTube, and it's just like the Lotto draw, except instead of balls with numbers, it's balls with country names on them.

Since 2013, the running order has been decided by the producers, with the goal being to avoid having songs that are similar close to one another, hoping avoiding a scenario like 1996.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

He's on Twitter. I used to know him, used to work in a recordshop in Dublin, but he seems to follow a few dodgy types on X.

He was in that abysmal unauthorized Jimi Hendrix biopic with Andre 3000, played the musician Zoot Money (who I know more so as an actor in things like Porridge and Eastenders and even Supergirl).

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Robert Jackson

Joe Swail haven't heard anything about him in the good few years pretty sure that he was a paddy or maybe he is a jock

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭techman1

Sean Bean, saw him last night in the film "the field " he played bull mccabes son. He was a big heart throb in the 90s but haven't heard anything about him in years

He's still going strong, been in lots of things in recent years, most notably Time on BBC1 about two years ago. He's not Irish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Fatnacho

Fran Cosgrave. He was on nearly every reality TV show about 15 years ago. No discernible talent of note. Think his main claim to fame was being a bodyguard for Westlife and dating girl band members. Seems to have gone totally off the radar since about 2010.

I'd forgotten about him, so "thanks" for the reminder. People say that with social media, TikTok etc, it takes nothing to be famous nowadays, but Fran was proof that could happen even before social media. As you said, no talent at all, and somehow being Westlife's bodyguard was enough to make him famous.

He had a child with one of Atomic Kitten and was on the first series of Love Island (back when it was called Celebrity Love Island, and according to Wiki, he won it.) He released a single called Jetsetter, which I sort of remember as being as bad as you'd expect it to be (I am not going to look it up on YouTube.) It failed to make the charts.

The Sun actually had an article on him back in August. He's now a DJ/producer going under the name "Futuristic Polar Bears", though there's been no activity there since 2016 according to Wiki. The Sun article is quite funny actually, as it talks about how he "ditched fame" and quotes him as saying he was "finished with the whole celebrity thing" and he "started saying 'no' to loads of programmes." Somehow, I doubt it was his choice to ditch fame, he seemed completely desperate for it.

Anyway, let's hope more Z-listers go the same way as Fran, though with things like ITV2 and TikTok, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Edit: typo

Post edited by supereurope on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,296 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He was from up North somewhere, actually Belfast I’m reading.

he had a hearing problem so that’s maybe why he doesn’t appear working in TV as a good few ex pros do.

Exhibitions, coaching and practice sessions seem to be how he makes his living going by his social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I remember he was in a tv advert for something (forget what) circa 00s that had him clicking his fingers and going "get a life, get a gaff". Wouldnt have had a clue who he was at the time, only years later saw it mentioned, possibly on Boards, that it was him.

• Advertisement

Sinead Lohan - dreadlocked singer from the mid-late 90's who had some moderate success and then vanished without a trace.....

Advertisement