Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Events Centre

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭thomil

At least we got a bit of a better understanding what the "detailed planning" involved. But in general I agree, this is a big pile of nothing.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Its not going to happen folks.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

That word designs again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,184 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't understand why some people appear to take such pleasure in repeating this.

I take zero pleasure in saying it, I would love for it to be built but I'm a realist and all the data points to it not being built.

Constructions costs have skyrocketed.

Small Arenas in the UK and Europe are struggling massively since Covid. Touring schedules have changed and small arenas are losing out.

Bam are reported to be looking to leave the country.

Why is the design constantly being altered, why are there so many delays.

It all points to the project being pullled, they are likely finalising the official excuse.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

At this point, I'd just like to see all that derelict land put to use, event centre or not. Same with the site on George's/Sullivan's quay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,184 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Well, now, that a much more measured post with reasoning and information. It's a world away from the valueless "never gonna happen" shtick.

While all of what you say makes sense, I wonder why there continues to be big money spent on a project that's due to be canned. That the bit that doesn't add up to me.

I still maintain that people absolutely love saying, "not going to happen", in situations like this. It's got a real, "I tell it like it is" vibe!

I suspect the developer will try to convert the site for apartments instead which would be far more profitable.

Its all just politics are optics pretending its going ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭thomil

To be honest, as much of a shame as it would be, if we could get a block of four or five story apartments for the site, that's something I could at least live with. It would still be preferable to another empty office block or a barren site.

Still hope that the Events Centre actually goes ahead.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The big advantage Cork would have over other similar sized UK venues is pulling artists who are going to 3Arena anyway, if an artist is bringing the show to Ireland it will often be worth their while to tack on a Cork date even though the venue is smaller. A lot of the similarly sized UK venues either have no operator or an operator without a large presence in the UK. AEG and ASM don't directly operate medium sized venues in the UK and tie up the market for the larger venues. Live Nations biggest venue in the UK is Sheffield which has tiny pull compared to Dublin. The model Live Nation are going for in Cork is very different to any venue in the UK, which is reflected in the language used by Cork City council around how unique the venue is.

Im with you on construction costs, they will make or break the project. Its more likely than not they kill it. However I don't think the project is dead yet, once/if this is killed the costs spent on getting nowhere will be scrutinised, there is no way that Cork City council would be spending money on detailed design or wasting their time with planning if the project was already scrapped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Probably would be student apartments which wouldn't be much use to be honest.

The whole saga is a sorry mess and stuff like this leaves people extremely cynical when any new announcements are made. Wasn't there a big announcement by Micheal Martin a few years ago that a new city library and revamp of Grand Parade was on the way? Haven't heard a thing since.

I think 6000 capacity for Cork is too small to attract the big acts that would play the 3Arena.

If an act is popular enough to sell out the full configuration of the 3Arena, 14,000, then adding a second night in Dublin is more appealing that another night in Cork for 6000.

For medium acts that would not be able to sell out the full 3Arena configuration, 6000 more tickets to sell might be a stretch and a promoter might not risk it.

Cardiff Arena in Cardiff is probably the closest venue in capacity to the Event Centre in Cork, but that is the capital of Wales and would have a larger catchment area than Cork.

I'm not sure I like the ownership arrangement either, with the Govt paying most of the cost and not retaining ownership.

Most councils in the UK build the venue then rent it back to the venue operator for a cost.

For example the new venue in Cardiff, The original financing model would have its cost effectively covered by the council utilising its prudential borrowing powers to draw down £170m of long-term repayable finance through the UK Government’s Public Works Loan Board (PWLB) and Live Nation then entering into a 45-year rental agreement. The rental income would cover the council’s borrowing costs.

The SEC in Glasgow is 90.86% owned by Glasgow City Council (GCC) and 9.14% by a number of private institutions, such as banks, pension funds and insurance companies.

It's just laughable at this stage. Would someone just officially kills this off??

"City councillors were told last night that the completion of the detailed designs for the proposed 6,000-capacity venue, which is in line for some €57m in State investment, has resulted in a cost increase.

Talks about the increased costs are ongoing, and a revised timeline for delivery cannot be provided until those talks are completed, they were told."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If the gov and city council are on the hook for the design and planning costs , then the design project can go on for-ever ,

Is the site subject to the vacant site levy ( or whatever its called )

I can see a drastically scaled down development with a lot less event centre and a load of student accommodation ( or offices or whatever is flavour of the month) obviously after another redesign, but managing to use all the available government cash for the build , ( and then some )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 7 opencurtin

The business people of Cork got behind the BAM bid over the Owen O Callaghan tender this was a big mistake IMO?

I’m not sure why BAM get all the blame? The city council are the project managers and Live Nation demanded the redesign to increase capacity. The fact that the initial planning permission and contracts were signed before consultation with Live Nation is 100% on the city council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭opus

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

That’s a big claim to be throwing out, construction to commence within the next 3.5 months.

Fingers crossed it’s true. It really is now or never

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I think with an election looming, they'll get it started next year.

Well ,o'callaghan was contracted to build it over 20 years ago , as part of buying land mahon point from city council -

He held on for years ,- then pulled out of the deal ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,368 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The absolute utter farce that is the cork events centre has a new chapter. Just bin the thing at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

My goodness the dodging of questions there is quite something. We are entitled to some transparency...

Does anyone have a ballpark figure of how many events a year would it realistically host?

I'm guessing it can do daytime events and conferences also like Comic con and whatnot.

Its not financially viable in the current climate of touring.

Arenas in the UK are losing alot of money because less and less acts are touring indoors.

Alot of artists are concentrating on open air summer shows, Covid changed the model.

Its just a PR exercise at this stage, the venue won't go ahead.

It could have been built years ago for half the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

It will probably be in the region of 65 or 70 million from the government at this point.

Are you sure?

If you look at other indoor arenas, they're doing fine like the Point, Belfast, Manchester, Brixton etc.

People don't want outdoor gigs for most of the year in Ireland or UK.

Summer festivals are normally at the weekend so indoor arenas can book acts for during the week.

If they'd just got it done they'd have built 2 arenas for the price at this stage. Construction costs are not going to come down. The more you wait and see, the costlier it gets. Also have to say that the current City Council CEO is an absolute disaster. Has overseen a significant decline in Cork City centre during her tenure, the events centre saga being the cherry on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

She was a disgrace on Primetime last night when interviewed by Fran McNulty about it. Wouldn't share new figures with him, came across as a bit smug and arrogant.

If I had a magic wand I'd move the Cork Museum into a new building where the Event Centre is supposed to go because then it'd be bang in the middle of the historic core of the city and then move the Event Centre to a site on the docklands with easy train and bus access.

Yeah. I'd also revamp the bonded warehouses into some sort of maritime museum/experience with restaurants and bars. Great location but being left to crumble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

The Counting House would be a great spot for the new City Centre Library and Museum

The event centre site and (possibly still) the counting house ,plus the tax office site (up for sale) are wholly owned by bam - no city or state ownership .. i'm not sure who "owns" the event centre project itself as the city has paid over a million euros out in development costs , which seemed a bit bonkers to me -

The port of cork bonded warehouses are probably in limbo - yes they were sold to a developer, but that development isnt going anywhere in a hurry , and who knows if the site has actually been paid for -

The way things are going the north docks may come up as a option ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I've no idea why the Government are funding what is essentially a private project.

They should build and pay for a venue themselves but retain ownership and have Livenation run it for them, thats the standard practice in the UK and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Agree totally. It's common sense which isn't all that common unfortunately with goverments sometimes. Live nation have massive clout. Have it goverment owned it doesn't have to make a profit they'll get the money through tax receipts via hospitality revenue.

Live Nation own the 3 arena in Dublin which also got enormous government subsidies for construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Any link to the government subsidies for construction

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

Plenty of grants and subsidies to the Bord Gais Energy Theatre and to the National Convention Center, Croke Park, Aviva and Tallaght stadium. Extension of Luas to 3 Arena to facilitate transportation to and fro the venue. Billions invested in similar facilities so let’s get this over the line for Cork.

"Lets get this over the line.... "

Its not really on bams priority list -

They can hang on and wait for more funding ,theres an election coming - especially since theyre billing cork city council for at least a good chunk of design costs -

If it doesnt happen they'll prob put in for more student accommodation on the site

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

My apologies - it wasn't city council and design fees - it was department of tourisim for legal and management costs ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I didnt realise that Heineken had withdrawn from the project and sold the site to BAM. Thats disappointing.

The Government should not be giving anymore money to BAM after the debacle of the Childrens Hospital, they are untrustworthy.

"Up to 15,000 people a week will be required to attend concerts, theatre shows, conferences, exhibitions, and banquets in the Cork event centre to make it a commercial success."

750k people a year, pie in the sky thinking anywhere near those numbers are attainable.

The 3Arena in Dublin had 567k visitors in 2023.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

Heineken sold the site years ago! As for BAM and the National Children’s Hospital site another example of massive funding being available for projects in Dublin. Did you ever hear about the 10,000 change orders on that project and who is responsible for them?

It's the same old nonsense we've been listening to since 2016.

Asked if he believes construction will commence soon after the assessment, he said: “The hope is that we will see work on the ground come quickly. I think that’s what the people of Cork deserve and expect at this stage".

Back in May, the decision was due in weeks, this time it's imminent! Maybe there's an election coming up, anything to be said for another sod-turning ceremony 🙂

Taoiseach indicates to Cork TD that a decision on events centre funding is imminent

I wonder if it is some sort of social experiment at this stage.

He said that having spoken to the Taoiseach about the long-stalled Cork Events Centre, he was hopeful the Government would be able to finalise a decision on funding of the centre “before the end of this month”.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-41433523.html

Yet more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,368 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’m glad it was made clear it’s this month as in July. Although there’s been many Julys since the sod was first turned.

Guess everyone is shocked by this!

Despite assurances in recent weeks from Taoiseach Simon Harris, Tánaiste Micheál Martin, former finance minister Michael McGrath, and former Tánaiste Simon Coveney that they hoped a funding decision would be made before the end of July, it has emerged that a decision has been postponed until the autumn.

Cork people being treated 'like a bunch of fools' over delayed event centre, says TD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

In 3 month's time……decision delay until the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭alanucc

Unlikely to be a decision before the general election at this stage surely

Advertisement