Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Like I said it won't suit everyone.

The other poster asked how I propose to keep the bottles and cans in good condition for the machine.

That's my plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

That's a great point. I'm still doing my bit by burning the paper and cardboard.

They can have the green bin back. They might even recycle it too.

This is one of the negatives of the PR system. You end up with fringe parties who would never be near any power get in and are implementing policies that are nonsensical.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Pi$$ing off a large proportion of your citizens isn't a great way to implement this type of change 

Absolutely especially when you need such high levels of societal buy in.

The vast majority of people I have spoken to have no idea this is coming, it really has flown under the radar.

It's live the 1st of February.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

I forsee many arguments with kids in many households as least in the early days as std practice now is to crush cans/bottles before tossing into recycling bin. Severe pocket money deductions looming large. Only problem is how do you know which kid did the deed. Solution blame em all equally...seems to be the states way of resolving these difficult dilemmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

How is the refund payment made? I hope its by app or account via an app?

I dont really like that items cant be crushed, I think the machine should have the capacity to detect metal ferrous/non ferrous or allow a person indicate which it is (even by description, ie drink/beveragemetal container, aluminium) or food tin, ferrous and pay by weight.

Same for plastic, I think it might be better if a barcode for the material was etched into the plastic (maybe for all plastics) that can be read by a standardised system. I get the impression this will be a label?

Im surprised businesses arent pushing back and demanding the State pay/maybe even to site a unit on valuable retail space.

I think these machines would be better if they were located outside like courier/delivery lockers, but also at bring centres, possibly where they can scan any plastics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,324 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I can see staff in the premises hosting the RVM's getting serious abuse if cans or bottles are being refused where the charge was taken when the items were purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,986 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A manual return (small shop, small volume) will be a cash or card refund.

An automated return (via a machine system at a larger retailer) will be a voucher refund, only redeemable against purchases in that store.

The reason that items cannot be crushed, is that the intent it to return them to their manufacturer of origin and have them cleaned, refilled and resealed for further sale, reducing the cost and impact of making a new bottle or can each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

donegal county council just removed the can and bottle banks in donegal town. now have to drive an extra 11km there and back to the bring centre in laghey. 2 weeks before Christmas when they are always overflowing.

this is the logic of our institutions.

The culture change is not only for kids.

I have always crushed my cans because they put stickers on the big grey bins asking us to do so and it made sense that they'd take up less space.

Now it's change which apparently is more difficult the older you are.

Kids are adaptable so they should take it in their stride.

If not maybe you could threaten to stop buying cans for them 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭SteM

An automated return (via a machine system at a larger retailer) will be a voucher refund, only redeemable against purchases in that store.

I think this is incorrect. The voucher can be swapped for cash in store if you wish.

Consumers may return containers to a retailer that takes them back over the counter (manual), or through the use of a a Reverse Vending Machine (RVM). If returning to an RVM, you must insert all Re-turn drinks containers as instructed and you will then be issued with a voucher which may be redeemed at the till. *It is important to note that vouchers issued from an RVM must be redeemed at the same retail outlet.

You will have the choice to receive your refund against a store-bought purchase or in cash.

Post edited by SteM on

• Advertisement

Logic of the green party mate. 94% of the population didn't vote for them.

Pr system negative

• Registered Users Posts: 21,930 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The reason that items cannot be crushed, is that the intent it to return them to their manufacturer of origin and have them cleaned, refilled and resealed for further sale, reducing the cost and impact of making a new bottle or can each time.

No it isn't. The machine crushes them after they are scanned. Can you imagine the transport costs if that were true?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They can't be crushed because the machine has to scan the code on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do lads know how government works? All these proposals were agreed by Cabinet of ALL the government parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭rodders999

So instead of putting all my cans and bottles in the recycle bin 30 centimetres outside my back door as I’ve been doing since forever, I now need to store them separately somewhere, then at some point when they start taking up too much space drive to a supermarket with a boot load of them, hope that the machine isn’t on the blink, queue up behind people shovelling in their stuff one by one so the machine can read the barcode, do the same myself, get a paper print out of my refund (god forbid that in 2024 this could be just refunded directly to my bank account), head into the supermarket, queue up again at the checkout behind people unloading their trollies and paying for their groceries, before finally getting to the till and getting my deposit back.

I packed up going to the supermarket about a year ago and get my groceries delivered instead. Best decision I ever made, saved myself a couple of hours a week, but thanks to the head bangers I’m back baby!

Gotta laugh at their website with the big splash - Convenient for Everyone!

“With return points all across Ireland, returning your Re-turn drinks containers couldn't be easier”.

Mate I could do already do this in my slippers while the kettle boiled before you geniuses got involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

And some odd policies are agreed to maintain the coalition. I don't think you're naïve enough to think every policy is fully supported by all government parties.

Kids these days dont give a damn about money and are more likely to absent mindedly crush or bash bottles/cans than the poor sod who has to ultimately pay for them. Im constantly finding crushed plastic drink bottles in school bags...this will cause some friction in the not too distant future😂

I dont buy cans for kids. I barely buy the odd can of beer for myself these days😭

Do you know how it works?

The 5% no hopers getting the opportunity to enact nonsense

We all learn the value of money eventually.

It's a personal thing really so I'll leave it to your own discretion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They're all approved by Cabinet. All parties are at Cabinet.

Correct, it's called Cabinet Collective Responsibility.

Main opposition fairly supportive of the scheme too.

Since July 2021, a deposit system has applied to small plastic bottles - water bottles and soft drink bottles, for example - in the Netherlands. But only 58 percent of the sold bottles were returned for a deposit last year. That amounts to 400 million bottles not returned that year, or over one million plastic bottles per day, AD reports based on figures from the Packaging Waste Fund.

A big problem is with on the go, for example, if you have been on the train, walk out of the station, and still have that bottle. That often ends up in the regular trash. NS stations often have a collection device, but walking there still takes too much effort. I experience that myself,” Klein Lankhorts said.

pointing out that there are already 28,000 collection points in the Netherlands.

We will have less than 10% of that figure here.

I'm calling it now in 2026 the price of the deposit will be raised here, because that's all we know. Bigger stick!

But sure why would you care, its only a deposit all the same. It actually cost you nothing. Raising it to a € might capture another % of bottles/cans. Well worth it in the greater scheme of things

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭rockdrummer4

Wow that is a lot of rubbish, you pay 600 - 700 a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,930 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

We don't put 2 black bins every week, sometimes it's 1 sometimes it's 2. For the sake of average lets say 1.5 black bin lifts. That's 1.5 * 14 euro * 26 biweekly bin lifts, or 546 per year. Jeebus, I didnt know it was that much actually.

And how about queues at these recycling centres.. gonna be a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭SteM

Any word on machines being installed in the major train stations, transport hubs and motorway services here? Would make a lot of sense.

I dont understand all this recycling lark, does the stuff actually get recycled?

I remember a few years back Panda had to increase their prices cause China refused to take our rubbish.

ATM majority pay Panda for green and brown bin, but does this actually get recycled, I dont believe it does, definitely not all of it

Are their any figures out there to show what Panda actually does with all of it?

All these people agreeing with this, thinking its a good thing..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement