Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭SteM

At least you'll be fooled into feeling like you're helping the planet while you queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,002 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You badly need to change company you are being ridden sideways.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭rockdrummer4

I would pay less that half of that a year on all waste, 3 adults and 2 cats :)

The machines threshold for an accurate scan is 95%.

I'll do my best to mind my trash, but wrapping it in bubble wrap may actually may be bad for the environment.

Either way it doesn't solve the problem highlight in that article.

Namely people will not walk miles to dispose of a bottle to claim a 0.15 cent shopping voucher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

I think that the driver of this is not the person doing their recycling into their domestic waste bin, but rather the fact that our streets are destroyed with cans and bottles every weekend from people just letting gravity take care of it.

And then there's the fine summer days where Portobello and every park and beach in the country gets absolutely destroyed. This will penalise these clowns. Bring it on I say.

Have you ever seen how these things work? I have seen them and there I have never once seen a queue. People bring a bag of empty bottles and cans just like they bring their re-usable bags for their shopping, put them into the machine and it takes about 30 seconds before you have your refund to deduct off your shopping.

It quite literally could not be simpler.

This is Ireland, how it works in other countries is no indication of how it will work here !

will wait and see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

This is a key question. There was Twitter coverage recently of a lad who put a GPS tracker in his recycling waste, and found that it ended up down at the incinerator in Ringsend.

This initiative seems to be focused on the latter end of the Reduce - Reuse - Recycle principle, though some of the comments here suggest it may be effective in encouraging Reduce as well.

This is the main driver behind this scheme.

Probably a good €100 of cans in there.........no problem getting them to the park. Should be fine to get them back to the RVM. If not, they'll be gone in a heart beat by a homeless person or child wanting to make a few bob.

Its not going to solve the entire problem of lazy boll***s and their rubbish (there's plenty more in there), but it might be a start. The bag for life or box can be used to bring them home again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

• Advertisement

Probably a good €100 of cans in there

There isn't next to near 700 cans there.

by a homeless person or child 

So we are spending billions and dismantling our current recycling system that works to get free labour from Children and homeless people.

Super awesome.

I would certainly want my child rooting around rubbish, sure nothing bad could happen from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,930 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Looks interesting but you have to pay for it (currently recycling bin is free) and it's only in Dublin

25c for 500ml cans Onslow. 4 of them makes a euro.

Our current recycling system works, based on the above? Looks like its working great........

It would only be free labour for the lazy louts who don't think its worth their while bring their cans which are 0.1% of the weight they were when they got them to the park back out of the park with them.

It's 15 cent per can, but sure facts have no place in this discussion. I imagine you are not overly bothered by them.

It would appear the louts were good enough to bring the rubbish to the actual bin which was full, at least it wasn't strewn around the park.

It's almost like we have the technology already to address that, a bigger bin.

Or a smart bin that will actually sort the rubbish for you, notify the authorities when it is full and sure to incentive the louts add in a reward scheme, maybe off license credit or phone credit. Have an app for it.

Or we could just get children and homeless people to do the councils job for them for free whilst píssing off and punishing the vast majority of the populous who already recycle.

But but but the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Yes you have to pay but works for me as I had to rent a car by the hour to go to bottle bank to recycle bottles every month or so.

So the bottle bin is far more convenient, although possible a little bit more expensive in my situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That's fine - most people don't have a problem with this as an anti litter scheme per se.

It's the impact on the rest of society that does not feck their rubbish on the ground and who pay for and use an existing recycling scheme. If they find a way of integrating the two so that ordinary householders can continue on as they are and not be penalised with taxes at purchase that they can't redeem through the existing scheme, then hunky dory.

Unfortunately, you can't distinguish where the can goes once it leaves the shop! I agree its an anti litter scheme and punishes those who don't throw their rubbish around.

But anyway, I'm in the minority who welcomes this and can't wait to see the impact it has the day after the next sunny day. Maybe it'll be none, we will see.

I'll drop out now because I've work to do!

And how does burning = recycling? I would be up for paying recycling fees if they were actually recycled... not burned

Doesn't burning release gases that are bad for environment?

How can Panda be legitimately be called a recycling company?

Would say most people who favor all this crap, think that the stuff actually gets recycled!

I have seen people clean stuff before putting into green bin (wasting water), if the stuff is just burnt whats the point?

Why cant we have the days back when it was cost effective to repair stuff - toaster, kettle, washing machine etc... Wouldnt that help the environment? but it would affect business profits so wont be done...

Overall its just a money making scheme for government and business

Like everything, punish the majority for the minority knackers..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No burning = reusing. The material is burnt, reused to generate electricity to sell back to the EV owners. It's a virtuous Green Tech circle thing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭FazyLucker

I agree in general with what you are saying there, burning does not equal recycling.

But, I can't understand how this is being construed as a money making scheme. I could be wrong but if its 15c/25c in and out, where is the money being made?

My understanding here is that the cans and bottles will be re-used again, rather than being crushed and sent to landfills or incinerators?

(@left_hander its 25c above 500ml so the bulk of cans would be 15c - I made that same error when I first looked).

I also believe this is more an anti-litter measure than an environmental measure. Its not intended to punish those putting their recyclable cans into the bin albeit they do lose out. Hard cases make bad law though as they say.

Its not just knackers who leave their cans and bottles lying around a park though. Every cohort of our society leaves their sh1te and blames the lack of bins. Maybe if they bringing their cans home with them then it will encourage them to bring the rest of their rubbish as well? I have not been to Australia but there are no bins in the national parks and the rule is you bring it in you bring it out. I believe they also have open barbecues which you can use and clean afterwards. Imagine that here? They'd be destroyed because people wouldn't clean them after themselves. I think we just need to change how we treat our parks and beaches and maybe this will be the starting point.

A friend of mine lives in Germany and said you'd often be having a can or bottle in the park and a homeless dude would come along and ask for it - is it any worse than them asking for spare change?

My father was telling me when he was a kid they had a deposit return scheme and they used to seek out bottles to get the deposit back off them.

There is no doubt this is 100% an anti-litter measure, but one which is overdue at the same time.

• Do you have any idea how someone with advanced MS struggles? Doing the basic shop is a challenging task, where your limbs have lost a lot of feeling, your hands have lost their dexterity. It is like trying to manipulate things with you hands full of pins and needles and hardly able to hold onto items, put in trolley, get from trolley to belt, pack into shopping bags. Blue badge permits are issued to minimise the amount of to and fro a person has to do. Asking a person who has difficulty manipulating things to have all their cans and bottles neatly in order and in perfect condition, when there is very limited energy and things are done at a snails pace is just not a realistic prospect.

I live alone, I have zero assistance, i am struggling just to live every day with progressing MS, I do like to get out though and do my little bit of shopping on my better days. There is a huge amount of MS, Parkinsons, and other disabilities in Ireland. The situation of disability cannot be understood by a person who isn’t directly living with it. It’s such a thoughtless scheme, adding a very unfair layer of inconvenience and added expense to a disabled person for simply not being in a position to adhere to the scheme.

Dame with people who do not drive not able to use cargo bikes etc. it is a discriminatory scheme.

My understanding here is that the cans and bottles will be re-used again, rather than being crushed and sent to landfills or incinerators?

This is the second time this has been stated on the thread.

What has led you to understand or think that is what will happen?

• Administrators Posts: 53,740 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anyone who thinks litterers will think twice about throwing a bottle on the ground because they could get 15c for it is deluded IMO.

It might prove more of a deterrent than you think but time will tell.

It'll be 30-40c before we know it I reckon.

I read this somewhere, I think The Irish Times had an article saying just this. I'll dig it out this evening.

• Administrators Posts: 53,740 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Did they suggest how many times the machines would have to be emptied daily or how many extra trucks would be required to transport the waste intact?

But no, companies are not going to try and reconstruct an open can, the machines crush them once they are scanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The question is - will someone else pick it up and bring it for recycling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Lovely, that will be the rationalization for littering. Let someone who needs the money more than I, collect the bottle for recycling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement