Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Not defending the chip but we got a penalty out of it, if that's the one I'm thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Watched game back earlier …Crowley def started v well but more first half went on and in second half he failed to impose himself on the game …..he’s still young and he’ll learn but it’s a massive worry for us at 10 till joey gets back as Crowley will have to carry us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I thought crowley was fine to good. Not great but not bad. I often think 10s not imposing themselves on games is just a pack that gets beat up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I thought he was fine. The pack were 2nd best, imo. Next week they have to go with Jager. A loss next week would be awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

So a few small things combined to a perfect storm, on reflection.

1. The D. Bayonne grew in confidence as they passed and offloaded their way through the midfield channels in the first half. Something went badly wrong here. Baptism of fire for Nankivel, who has otherwise looked fantastic since joining. Might just be a few games to early to have him defending the 13 channel. Might not all be on Nank though. To be fair to Leamy, this would be hist first time facing a Gallic monster offloading pack, and a few tweaks might be needed in future.

2. 10. Hearing a lot of how Crowley failed to "impose himself" on the game. But those defensive issues really left him with no good options. Classically, under the pump, you want your 10 to kick the leather off the ball and at least get you into the right areas of the pitch. But this is a lot less appealing when the opposition are running back through you so easily.

Add 1. and 2. together, and this leads then to 3: Trusting the process a little too much. There was one incident attacking off the right hand 15m channel, we had an overlap on the far side and (I think) Kendellen went for a reverse pass back inside to absolutely nobody. Beirne's pass into touch was another. We were rattled, and lacked the confidence and composure to make heads up decisions.

Not to mention the set-piece and breakdown issues, a lot which would be fixed by a returning Kleyn. But overall, I'm buoyant on our chances if we can sort out a defensive system and personnel (was Frisch injured? I think his D in the 13 channel is spectacularly underrated). Get the confidence to use more varied kicks, less panic and more heads up play when needed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

was Frisch injured? I think his D in the 13 channel is spectacularly underrated.

Donal Lenihan mentioned in comms he was, but I'm not sure if he appeared on the Munster injury update during the week.

100% agree on his D tho. He's pretty crucial to us, and is very good at scrambling too. Important for attacking rucks too. We missed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Not to mention how his offloading often unlocks the wider channels, where you ideally want to be attacking against larger packs that get narrow on D.

There's a serious "what have the Romans ever done for us" vibe with Frisch.

Frisch and Barron both took part in some or all of the warm up pre-game, that not to say they could have been injured during the week and not risked for the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The guy who grabbed the Bayonne player has been banned from attending Munster home games.

Munster Rugby can confirm that a decision has been made to prohibit the supporter involved in an incident at Thomond Park on Saturday from attending matches at Musgrave Park and Thomond Park.

An investigation commenced on Sunday with the supporter getting in contact with the province this morning to identify himself and apologise for his actions.

Munster Rugby will be contacting Aviron Bayonnais and EPCR to apologise for the incident.

Delighted they acted on this, there's no place in the game for spectators getting involved in on field scuffles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

Think he's lucky that's all he got and that Mikautadze didn't do his best Trevor Brennan impression.

Would assume the IRFU would make this a nationwide ban for all games and not just games in Thomond and Musgrave.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Absolutely the correct decision in terms of sending the right message , but it's a high price to pay for what I assume was a moment of alcohol fueled stupidity..

No sympathy mind you , but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

A lifetime ban seems quite draconian. Anyone can make a mistake. Would a season or two ban have been punishment enough?

Maybe there's an element of virtue-signalling and scapegoating from Munster Rugby. The fan's mindset didn't appear in a vacuum. He was emboldened by an attitude of entitlement he sees and feels around him. But it's easier to push all the blame on to him.

Mod: You were warned for this just yesterday, yet persist. Threadbanned for 2 weeks. Do not take it back to the Champions Cup thread either.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

A lifetime ban seems quite draconian. Anyone can make a mistake. Would a season or two ban have been punishment enough?

Reading online, it seems like it's a 2 year ban..

Maybe there's an element of virtue-signalling and scapegoating from Munster Rugby. The fan's mindset didn't appear in a vacuum. He was emboldened by an attitude of entitlement he sees and feels around him. But it's easier to push all the blame on to him.

What on earth are you talking about??

What "attitude of entitlement" was he seeing and feeling around him that made him grab the jersey of a player???

He was a drunk twat who did something really really stupid - Stop trying to make it a polemic about the decline of civilization...

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

In fairness to the fan he apparently fessed up and contacted Munster Rugby and has apologized. Fair play to him for this. Silly thing to do but for me anyway he has done the right thing and maybe accepting the apology and a short ban from a few games or til the end of the season is the way forward.

Munster statement is ambiguous about the length of the ban so maybe some common sense at play but a clear warning to fans that this isn't on.

Meh. Was stupid but innocuous, ban a bit harsh especially as the fellah fessed up.

Don't see much in it.

Munster should still be banned from something though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i dunno about setting the drop goal tbh, i think they should have went for it earlier and they ended up losing ground as the phases went on. i think if they waited any longer they were at risk of losing even more ground or losing the ball. wasnt a great strike but it showed some bit of confidence to at least have a go

and butler was at 10 at that stage so if there is any blame to be give then it should be shared between them

• Registered Users Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There must be zero tolerance. Absolute and total.

The ban is appropriate. The alternative is a slippery slope with people trying it on, either in the crowd, or onto the pitch.

Yes its a rare occurrence, lets keep it that way.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

AFAIK he was missing a boot on his standing foot when he tried the drop at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

He was ….wasn’t faulting him for the miss …..just felt he came up short on what you need a 10 to do on a night like Saturday …play the % ….kicks in behind …decision making

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Otagepingi

Very harsh to ban people for analysing an incident.

Mod: It isn't analysis. It's trolling. And if you have an issue with moderation, take it to PM, do not reply on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

It's not remotely harsh. A fan aggressively intervening with player has the potential to escalate into something very nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Seems fair to me, such behaviour has to be nipped in the bud. Good that it's been dealt with quickly and decisively, helped by the fan turning themselves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

He could easily have got a dig in the heat and then the player would have suffered afterwards. It’s a fair reward for a moment of stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

That he fussed up is irrelevant. He would have been identified anyway.

If you are beyond the fence you in no circumstances get involved with anyone inside the fence be it player, coach, march officials or anyone else.

To be fair I think technically he was trying to break up the fight as opposed to add to it but I don't think it's a sliding slope to anything and a minor slap on the wrist would have been fine.

If two lads were arguing in front of you you'd almost instinctively do the same.

I think the chap is a bit of a hero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

He has no business trying to break up the fight, even if your extremely charitable version of events is true.

Advertisement