Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,548 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yeah, UV does horrible things to milk - that's why Tetra took hold. The old tetrahedral packages they came to market with were not in any way easier to use than bottles, but for most people the taste and shelf life was hugely improved

At least with smaller glass bottles delivered frequently it isn't sitting around as long as it does in the 2L/3L plastic jugs

I'd also be very happy with some of the larger breweries doing take back. Much od my home beer consumption is in bottle from two breweries and one of them is only about 6km from my door - if I could return those bottles rather than bring them for recycling it would massively reduce the impact of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,872 ✭✭✭✭elperello

As I said the milk I got in the UK was fine but it was as you suggest in small bottles, a pint I think.

I use Tetra at home rather than plastic.

I'd agree about returning beer bottles.

If it was possible I would opt for it.

They do it in Germany and it seems to work ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

No, it's just that the shop I buy milk in sells 1 litre in Tetra and only 2 & 3 litre in plastic.

I prefer opening just 1 litre at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Firblog

Really seems like a half arsed solution, why only drink containers, why not 2/3L milk containers, cans of pet foods etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

At a guess they want to increase the recycling rates of aluminium cans and plastic bottles. Presumably the recycling rates of milk containers and pet food is high enough already.

Disclaimer: I don't know what the recycling rates are on those products, just making an assumption here

Steel cans are very easily removed from waste streams and even the crap left after incineration.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Does anyone know yet if the price of soft drink etc will actually go up by the amount of the deposit or will it just be absorbed?

Seems a bit of a faff having to return cans to a shop when I have a green bin at home.

It is extremely unlikely it will be absorbed, except maybe on some already premium price products

Used one of the german machines today; a larger high speed one. You'd dump an entire slab in to one in a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,467 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Do you know how many people don't recycle and just throw recyclable stuff in the normal bin. It's very high. I live in an apartment complex with shared bin facilities and the amount of plastic bottles and cans you see thrown in the general waste is shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I live in a house and everyone on my street puts their plastic in the green bin.....anecdotal evidence is worthless.

I would like to see the data that says this is a worthwhile venture. We already collect and burn a lot of plastic. We all need to stop calling it plastic 'recycling' by the way, most of the collected plastic (69%) is incinerated not recycled. The remaining plastic is shipped overseas for 'recycling', does it actually get recycled or sold on to the lowest bidder who then dumps it?

We would be better off focusing on reducing and reusing when it comes to plastic, recycling is kind of bullsh1t in this country.

It was pointed out earlier that milk bottles could give rise to unpleasant odours if put in the machine without being rinsed.

I suppose food cans would be pretty messy too.

Everything will go up. The price of a 12 pack of 4.2% beer in 500ml cans for example will go up by €3 to roughly €22.92 thanks to the other great government invention of MUP. Interesingly if you use 440ml cans you can sell a 14 pack, have slightly more alcohol for €22.54

In Germany they add a fixed amount on to multipacks to combat this... But that wouldn't work here just because it works in Germany

PET (the type of plastic in a drink bottle) does tend to get recycled, because it has a value. That is one of the major things which is funding this scheme. It does currently go overseas to be turned into rPET, however there are already people looking at investing at local PET recycling solutions because the volumes of bottles which will be recovered will rise significantly and make a project, particularly one serving north and south, viable. Huge capital costs involved but doable if the volumes are there.

The current recycling rates are estimated to be about 60-65% for plastic bottles. The statutory target is 90% by 2030.

The current recycling rates are estimated to be about 60-65% for plastic bottles. The statutory target is 90% by 2030.

So because 35-40% can't play by the rules we all have to suffer? It's unfair but at least if it continues the polluter pays rule will apply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭thomil

Spotted the first machine in our local Tesco today. Looks pretty similar to some of the machines I've seen in Germany, although the machines here obviously lack the extra opening on the bottom to take back entire crates or multipacks. Sielaff, the manufacturer, is quite experienced in this field, so the hardware at least should be pretty good.

Also worth noting that the max. 2€ sign that was shown on a couple of pages earlier in this thread is nowhere to be seen. That might have been only for testing purposes.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

That was for Lidl's unconnected trial. It was never part of the incoming national system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Looking at the size of that machine I assume the machine crushes the returns after they have been scanned, the volume looks fairly small. Anyone seen any figures for the capacity of these machines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Hopefully by this time next year Sielaff will be a distant memory stung by the losses they made in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭JVince

Try and explain that to the fools on social media who are using the picture to scaremonger terribly gullible people.

• Advertisement

Not going to happen. This isn't meant to make money

Don't worry, it's intended for somebody to make money off this, and if they don't it'll go bye bye

The RVM manufacturers definitely make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mikefromcork

Genuine question, I'm not for or against this yet. Has this worked anywhere else? I don't mean years ago, I mean in the recent past and coming off a similar base to ours.

Netherlands introduced it quite recently. Various US states also recently. Working fine

It works fine everywhere, basically

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭SteM

There's a link in another thread to a NL report suggesting uptake has poor for plastic bottles so far - 58% of drink bottles sold were returned for deposit. They have 28,000 collection points according to the article, will be interesting to see how many we have come February.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭thomil

Working fine in Germany since at least the early 2000s. Used it myself prior to emigrating to Ireland. At this point, it's a well established and mature system, And I see no reason why it shouldn't work over here. Ireland isn't that special.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

In a perfect world, but then you'd get smart arses gaming it, buying cans for the sole purpose of claiming them back. It would be just like the renewable heat incentive in the north.

• Advertisement

It was implemented in California in 1987, currently it's 5c if under 24floz and 10c on 24 floz and above on almost any container that contained a liquid other than wine and dairy. The containers can be aluminum, glass, plastic resins and bi-metals. However you have to return these containers to specific recycling locations which usually attract drug users. 24floz is about 710ml so most containers, specifically beer are in the 5c bracket. It's seen by most over there as just being another tax (in fact - sales tax applies to the deposit at point of sale but not at return) and most just put their recycling into the household recycling bins.

However, their recycling rates are about 80% so even that very flawed system produces better results than what we have at the moment

I'm not a fan of the proposed system but I'm not sure of a better one to improve the recycling rates

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement