Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,783 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They are going to have to, no one in Europe will be willing to defend our economy, or global economic stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

Jihad means holy war against the jews and the West. That's what they meant when they called for a global jihad and no amount of book quotes can change that.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Gaslighting would be a better term. I mean yes, you can have some scholar explain how islam is a religion of peace and jihad means self improvement and all that nonsense, but in reality we all know what it means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

Is it your opinion that the people calling for Jihad in that video were calling for the Greater Jihad or for the bombs and beheadings type?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,783 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It wasn't great before the first oil well went in either.

We hear about the greater jihad, the struggle against the inner demons of the self etc but in the faith the only thing that guarantees entry to heaven is military jihad. The only thing that absolves even the most awful sin is military jihad.

To paraphrase Mohamed. The greater jihad isn't worth a bag of warm piss, even just raising the sword above your head is worth a life time of prayer.

The bit about raising the sword is a direct quote from the warlord himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Unsurprising that none of Israel's cheerleaders have addressed the reality that Israel was created by the exact sort of barbarity and bloodlust that Hamas perpetrated on October 7th.

I'm not an Israeli cheerleader but I brought up the Deir Yassin massacre ages ago and I also noted that Israel was founded by people who were considered terrorists at the time, and I consider terrorists still.

Acknowledging that Hamas are oppressive Islamic fundamentalist terrorists who are willing to see tens of thousands of their own people die in their heavenly sponsored quest to kill every Jew in Palestine doesn't mean that I'm a fan of the actions of the Israeli Government or the IDF. Questioning the characterisation of the current IDF campaign in Gaza as genocide doesn't mean I condone it. In the real world outside the childish binary void that is the internet there is nuance and context and detail and those things matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭jmreire

Jihad means "Effort", and it can apply to any endeavor. Want to stop smoking? Declare Jihad on tobacco, etc. And of course, it applies to war, and that's how it's generally understood in the west.

• Advertisement

So a Jihad in smoking is when you want to stamp out and eradicate smoking.

A Jihad on poverty is when you want to stamp out and eradicate poverty.

And a Jihad on Israel... yea, got it.

When I was in Iran, I heard Iranians saying the same thing. This "accursed oil " was the term they used. Because all the wealth flowed to the leadership, and they have used it to foment terror around the world, and in Iran to hold on to power.

The word in Arabic means "Effort" and can be applied to any endeavor as I have mentioned. So yes, that's what it means. Muslims use the term a lot in their personal everyday lives when striving for something. They ask Allah's help in their Jihad against tobacco, for example, or their children's efforts to pass their exams. Etc. It can be applied to anything. And it's not "A Jihad", its simply "Jihad".

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭StarryPlough01

'Hamas Committed Documented Atrocities. But a Few False Stories Feed the Deniers'

'The extensive evidence of crimes against humanity committed by Hamas terrorists on October 7 should not be contaminated by unverified stories disseminated by Israeli search and rescue groups, army officers and even Sara Netanyahu'

https://archive.ph/nqIHM

People deny all the time what doesn’t fit their political agenda. It’s important to keep an open mind.

The atrocities committed by Hamas were horrific enough without needing any exaggerated claims (propaganda). Hamas did invade Israel.

From what I understand in Rome Statute articles, an occupied people who can’t leave their own country without permission from their oppressor are entitled to resist this occupation with arms, bound by rules of international law. So what can they do? Surely, you would have to go into Israel and attack their military bases.

^ BUT Hamas took the easy way and murdered civilians living at collective and communal farms in small towns and at the music festival; and Hamas took hostages … THERE IS NO JUSTIFICATION.

Let me say unequivocally

I do not believe murdering people at a music festival to be justified nor murdering people on collective and communal farms in small towns (kibbutzim) to be justified; AND I do not believe Hamas taking hostage to be justified …. It’s unconscionable.

Israel has asserted other atrocities were committed, but these have not been disclosed. Until verifiable evidence is disclosed, people with a modicum of intellectual integrity will RESERVE THEIR JUDGMENT. Academics and journalists... will then analyse the documented evidence.

And

THERE IS NEVER ANY JUSTIFICATION FOR ISRAEL COMMITTING GENOCIDE AS I SPEAK.

Israeli’s indiscriminate slaughter has been called ‘a textbook case of genocide’ by leading Jewish and Israeli scholars of the Holocaust and genocide studies (affiliated to universities).

ROME STATUTE PDF is copy protected

Refer Rome Statute Article 31 Grounds for excluding criminal responsibility: Art 31 1. (c) and (d)

https://www.icc-cpi.int/sites/default/files/RS-Eng.pdf

Refer Rome Statute Article 6 Genocide

https://www.icc-cpi.int/sites/default/files/RS-Eng.pdf

Shalom, SalAm, Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes, the hypocrisy is startling. It goes back to what I said earlier; I am appalled by war crimes when the side I oppose commit them, but when the side I support commit them, then they are a 'mistake'- there is a context. This is why some will rant about the violence of others, but defend to the hilt violence pursued in the name of ideals they believe in. All the while oblivious to their own double standards on the use of violence . This is why they can be appalled by the savagery of Hamas, but will stay silent in relation to settler violence and the brutal actions of Lehi in the past. Who in reality were no different to Hamas in their bloodlust and savagery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,521 ✭✭✭brickster69

Biden says Israel has to be careful or the worlds opinion could shift away from them. Talk about being out of touch or what

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It has already happened. Israel is a busted flush on the international stage : most people in future will think 'terrorist state' rather than western liberal democracy when their name comes up. They've let the mask slip a good bit in the last couple of months.

He is only saying that now because he is worried about the election next year. Alot of his vote base are against what's happening in Gaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭StarryPlough01

This is journo Owen Jones

My transcript:

Scroll to: 14:30 / 25:23

Owen Jones said:

“Watching this film of horrors, and they are horrors, does not lead me to want to support other horrors. Watching innocent civilians being killed in Israel does not make me more likely to support killing more innocent civilians in Gaza. Indeed, several times over more innocent civilians. The fact that this is controversial. And I know that for those who supported the screening and its purpose find this controversial, is absurd. You have a choice when you learn of the horrors that humans are capable of inflicting against each other, you either allow these horrors to deepen your humanity, or you use those horrors to numb your humanity, so that you can become complicit in even more, and indeed often, greater horrors. This is a very basic and fundamental lesson from human history which is never learned, with a grave human cost.” […]

0:49 / 25:23

‘I Watched The Hamas Massacre Film. Here Are My Thoughts.’

Nov 27, 2023​

"I was invited to watch a screening - organised by the IDF - of the Hamas atrocities committed on 7th October. Here's my response in detail. "When you learn of the horrors which humans are capable of inflicting against each other, you either allow these horrors to deepen your humanity or you use those horrors to numb your humanity so that you can be complicit in even more, and indeed often, greater horrors."

StarryPlough01: ^ Owen Jones couldn’t go along with the purpose of the screening. What happened does not justify the genocide in Gaza. There is one act of terrorism that is seared into Owen’s memory.

The Israeli police admitted there's a lack of forensic evidence. The women (girls?) weren’t questioned by trauma informed health agencies / professionals.

I also heard reports and read that the Israeli health agencies did not ask the women about rape. These people are appropriately trained in cultural competency… and how to frame sensitive questions, etc. It could even be in the form of a questionnaire. It didn't happen. We await the conclusion of the Israeli investigation, with documented evidence, for public scrutiny.

TIMES OF ISRAEL

‘Amid war and urgent need to ID bodies, evidence of Hamas’s October 7 rapes slips away’

‘Despite definitive witness testimony, global skepticism persists about the terrorists' sexual crimes. ToI investigates how a mass-casualty event in a war zone made forensic determination impossible’

By Carrie Keller-Lynn

9 November 2023, 3:18 pm

https://www.timesofisrael.com/amid-...nce-of-hamass-october-7-rapes-slips-away/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 51,749 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Israelis raping and murdering who'd have thought?

• Advertisement

Yes, economies built on primary industry are more likely to be ruled by autocratic governments. Once an economy requires a well educated workforce and a domestic consumer market it is harder to maintain that top down system of government. When you think of dictators or dictatorial government around the world, from Russia to Venezuela to the Gulf States to many African countries they usually have economies that are mainly reliant on the export of primary produce. Where they don't the government usually relies on the sponsorship of a large foreign power. Examples of these include the dictators that the US kept in power in Central and South America.

Post edited by Ulixes on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Nah, he's sorted in terms of the election and how this conflict will influence it.

He's lost a lot of progressive younger voters, but likely picked up a huge amount of swing, or close to swing conservative voters who are used to America supporting Israel no matter what.

Look at the 400 members of the House who voted that Anti-Zionism = antisemitism. They all voted that way for a reason and that reason is what Biden has been guided by.

Really sad to see in my view. If he tries to come back to Ireland in term 2 should he win again, he'll get a very different reception than he got last time round.

And in the context of what was being chanted at that protest the meaning is unambiguous and is a call of a holy war against Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

I was talking about both Israelis and Palestinians. Just stating that all these people want is a quiet life, no trouble. just like me and you.

How you managed to conclude what you did is frankly astonishing, especially your last para.

where you ever in Israel?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Owen Jones was savaged for his response to the film of the October 7th atrocities. But one of the key questions he was asking was whether the film had been put together by Israel to justify the current war crimes in Gaza. The film itself was a bit of a strange or curious thing : put together by the IDF but shown only to journalists, diplomats and opinion makers....as if they were clearly trying to create a political narrative or a justification, rather than to simply inform or educate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

And for the record - the snip of yours actually referred to the Palestinian carpenter I used to give a lift to, if you read carefully...

But the phrase would equally apply to the very elderly Jewish father of a Jewish friend.

When someone starts a sentence with '' I'm not an Israeli supporter but ......'' it usually ends up with them being one or supporting them.

I don't think he is

The longer this drags on the danger for him is if enough of his base stay at home and abstain in protest the swing votes might not be enough. His polling numbers have been very poor of late. He has been very pro Israel throughout his career, so I see his stance on current events as being a consistent position of his rather than him just seeing which way the wind is blowing.

• Advertisement

In that context, agreed 100%, but that's not to say that someone speaking of Jihad is automatically calling for war. Most Muslims speaking about Jihad are talking about a personal Jihad, and that's in a private sense. So, it's understandable that when non-Muslims hear the word Jihad, it is a call to war, and they automatically think that it can only mean war, which is of course incorrect. Jihad = Personal Effort. For anything, and unfortunately, that includes war.

Advertisement