Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

We spent a substantial amount of time trying to discourage TV recommendations in the Netflix threads, but the TV discussion kept on coming. Many viewers simply don't care too much about the differentiation when it comes to Netflix. And so an allowance was made to allow this specific thread to house both TV / film, but other threads would be restricted to either the TV forum or the film forum.

If you want to discuss a specific Netflix film, feel free to start a dedicated thread - we actively encourage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I was enjoying the Beckham documentary up until the affair part. I obviously didn't expect it to get into graphic details about the affair. But it just completely glossed over it. As if the documentary was too privilaged to discuss such issues. It lost any ability for me to take the documentary serious at that point. It was entertaining overall all, but it was essentially made up to put David Beckham up on a pedastal - not to portray the real life of David Beckham.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I always assumed this was a general Netflix thread. Not enough content on it to justify two separate threads in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

He barely features in the 5 episodes. I didn’t notice him at all and then I find out afterwards, from his own posts now that he is able to talk about it, that he finished 2nd in game 1, he passed the umbrella biscuit game, and he is still in it going into episode 6. Very impressive!! It’s some prize for whoever does win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Personally, I just like to watch telly without stupid adverts or voiceovers. This thread is just fine. 😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Losing battle pal, I asked this year's ago but hit a brick wall.

You just have to except it for what it is and get on with it unfortunately.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Finished up the last 2 episodes of Scott Pilgrim Takes Off today and really enjoyed that. Glad they did it as a done-in-one, partly so the story wasn't dragged out and partly because of Netflix's fickleness about actually supporting multi-series shows at this point.

I am a big fan of both the comics and the Edgar Wright film, and was curious about how the series would manage to not just feel like a retread of the existing material - but as noted upthread, the show absolutely nails it. The time and distance from the release of the previous material has allowed for a new take without having to invalidate the previous material, and it's delivered with aplomb and some very funny jokes. Admittedly some of these are perhaps more niche than others, but I howled with laughter when the last episode's credits music kicked in, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Run a google search on 'Best Movies on Netflix Right Now' = there is a small industry of journalists working on it. Anyway, I'll shut up about it now, consensus sees it the other way so fair is fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Really enjoyed the new 4 episodes of Squid Games. The bridge episode was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was wondering why Sweet Home was showing up on the front page for the past week. Turns out season 2 is out tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Obliterated might just be the worst thing I've seen on Netflix in a long time.

I've watched one episode and It's so bad I'm not sure if I should give up or actually watch the whole thing just to see how much worse it can get.

Not sure if it's meant to be a straight up comedy/drama/action or a serious action series or a satire of an action series however nothing is hitting anything it wants to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Whiplash was added recently and I'll be having some of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭jj880

Yes that was good. I enjoyed the gift box episode slightly more. Some great mind games.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Loving squid games especially the tasks that were in the series though I think the contestants were given too much power

when it came to eliminations and some good people got voted off though a lot of unpopular/two faced people got voted off too which

was great to watch.

I think maybe once or twice would have been enough and I don't think anyone one contestant should get to

vote off three people.

The bridge was fantastic to watch also, also glad there was no tug o war, would have been completely one sided with one team full of strong lads, really blew up in their face when the game turned out to be one of pot luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The doc bad surgeon is a really decent story...but even at three episodes it felt a bit stretched out. Could have been covered in an hour long episodes I felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Thanks for the recommendation on One Piece.

I'd have totally skipped it from the trailer/synopsis but I'm three episodes in and really enjoying it. I have zero knowledge of the original material so I've no idea how true to it this is but the style and general slight wackiness is really enjoyable, the lead actor is great, looking forward to seeing it develop

I see from a quick read that there's a ton of original material and it's been renewed for another season, hopefully it could grow into something really great

• Registered Users Posts: 20,566 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Blue Eyed Samurai was recommended on the Tv on the Radio slot on Moncrieff yesterday. Watched the first episode and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to watching more this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 20,566 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

edit: wrong thread !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

+1 from me. Really enjoyed it! My wife kept asking me.. why are you watching a cartoon!!! No Class!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,936 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I remember watching virgin river a few years ago and then stopped because it was getting too sappy and falling into the troupes it had previously stayed away from. Any honestly the three seasons I saw it felt like it was tearing the arse out of the story. Anyway I see it’s now gotten six seasons. The mind boggles.

• Advertisement

Yeah thought it was really good. Unexpected

Northern Ireland

accent in there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I was transfixed by his dark ear hair. why wasn't this mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Came here to mention this too . Good lord, he was some egotistical chancer . Truly playing with people's lives.

I didn't like the ex fiance being the narrator tbh .

On another note, watched Escaping The Twin Flames too . Once again it shows how people who are looking for something different, spiritually wise, can be sucked into a cult . Crazy .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Finished watching the John Wayne Gracy Tapes documentary. Never knew anything about him at all until I started watching it. Very harrowing for all those involved. Anyone else seen it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I thought it was one of the better docs I've seen on him . Harrowing for all involved indeed . The sheer gall of him , having so many bodies under his house. He would never have stopped imo .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

I agree, thought the same about him never stopping. He was a great talker, quite fluent and affable. Funny how it’s those serial killers who have the most success in terms of getting away with it for such a long time. Scary stuff. All those poor kids. 😢

Blue Eyed Samurai renewed for Season 2 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Just finished watching it yesterday. Glad it's been renewed; seeing how it finished, looking forward to seeing how they change up the challenges for a new season (despite the inevitable near super-hero abilities at the end of this season).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Netflix have released a report with the shows with the most hours viewed for the first half of the year

https://about.netflix.com/en/news/what-we-watched-a-netflix-engagement-report

It's an excel file in that link.

The Night Agent had the most hours watched.

Of course it's a bit hard to judge the most popular unless they factor in episode count and length.

Like 1000 people watching a 10 episode season will obviously have more hours than 1000 people watching an 8 episode season. But if the 10 episode season had 30 min episodes compared to 8 hour long episodes then the results will favour the 8 episode season, even if audience numbers varied like 1400 to 1000 people.

Then movies would struggle to make the list. Extraction 2 is the only movie in the top 30.

Advertisement