Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you know how to use a pedestrican crossing correctly?

• 07-12-2023 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Amazing the amount of pedestrians that don't know the correct way to use a marked pedestrian crossing.

Some walk straight out or cross 5/6 meters before or after the crossing using the road instead of the actual crossing area.

Is the safe cross code no longer thaught anymore?? Or just ignorance is the way now....

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

Do you know how to use a pedestrican crossing correctly? 81 votes

Yes, Put one foot out to indicate your intention to cross, waiting until traffic has stopped before proceeding.
    56%
    meepTony Hrandomname2005colm_mcmxeresodRiderOnTheStormR.O.Rkenn0mountainmickdwJamBuranonanymoremuddle84BronsonTBkirkfx[Steve]nicolSVI40The J Stands for JayRonanG86 46 votes
    No, Always just walk straight out & hope for the best
    16%
    ednwirelandvictor8600xabiMiscreanticeman777callaway92josipDrake66dmc17sully123maamomDubLad69Citizen  Six 13 votes
    No, Always stop & only enter the crossing when all traffic is stopped
    27%
    MojoMakerroad_highfreddieotsydthebeatdaheffBigmac1euroGavPJsonic85martingriffahnowbrowncowPopePalpatineGranGrubaCELBRIDGE HOOPteediddlyeyeIseedeadpixelsWhocareBrenMarNigzcurranthebronze14Xander10 22 votes

Comments

Yes, Put one foot out to indicate your intention to cross, waiting until traffic has stopped before proceeding.

From what I see on the road every day, a lot of people here are not telling the truth :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

People know how to use it correctly, but choose not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Never mind pedestrian crossings. The amount of pedestrians who walk across junctions without looking is crazy, the rules are the same for a junction as a pedestrian crossing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

The 'rules' in this case are outdated and risky, as a pedestrian I'm not prepared to even risk my foot by sticking it out in front of traffic with the standard of driving/riding out there, so for me it's option 3. This is all about legal right of way, so I'm happy to 'yield' my right of way until some nice mannerly observant driver/rider stops for me without requiring me to stick any parts of my body out in front of them.

As a driver, IMO it's fairly obvious when someone wants to cross, so I stop and let them cross if it's safe to do so.

If anyone runs out in front of me unexpectedly, it'd get the exact same response, crossing or no crossing.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭nachouser

Yeah, no-one does option one. Ridiculous in this day and age.

Option four should be "when it's your turn to cross, do you proceed past the front or the back of the car that is now blocking access to the entire crossing?"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

If you only ever learn one rule of the road when driving it is this:

Always assume every other road user is out to kill you, themselves and everyone around you and them. Once you learn that rule, the driving experience is a lot easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭LastFridayNight

Straight from the rulebook:

Vehicles do not have an automatic right of way on the road. The overriding rule is, in all circumstances, to proceed with caution.

You must always yield to:

• pedestrians already crossing at a junction;
    • pedestrians on a zebra crossing;
    • pedestrians on a pelican crossing when the amber light is flashing; and
    • pedestrians and traffic when you are moving off from a stationary position (for example from your position at a stop sign or a parking space).

To avoid doubt and in the interest of road safety, a vehicle should always yield to pedestrians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I do neither of them 3 options. When approaching a pedestrian crossing I just walk out as once you are on the crossing the vehicles are supposed to stop. Of course if I see the vehicle is going too fast or is just at the crossing I will not walk out in front of it unless I see the driver slowing down as they should be at pedestrian crossing anyway and are aware of me.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Hardly any drivers stop at a pelican crossing when the amber traffic light/green pedestrian sign is flashing and a person is stood, waiting to cross.

Car drivers invariably do not follow the rules here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Sure this is Ireland FFS. Everybody knows we don't do rules and regulations because we're REBELS and we spent 800 years fighting oppression and we're only interested in the craic and don't be taking dem rules so fu*king seriously yada yada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

Doesn't a pedestrian establish right of way when they behind to cross at an uncontrolled junction??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I always walk up to them, pause/stop and make it obvious I wish to cross. It’s amazing the amount of oblivious drivers that speed through then completely unaware- there’s no way I’d risk crossing until sure both vehicles are stopped/stopping

Post edited by road_high on

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

this 100%...its what the old lad that sold me my first motorbike in around 1974/75 said to me,took it to heart and well im still here!

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭BobMc

Never forget a runner one time as he running along never crossed my mind he was going to use crossing as he was on inside of path ran across the zebra crossing, managed to brake, but the dirty looks I got he never broke a stride !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

There are some rules of the road that are impossible to follow. The main one that come to mind is turning around the back of another right turning car at a junction or yellow box. 99% of the time the other driver doesnt move out far enough, so you have to do it wrong or the whole road gets held up.

So since nobody ever does it you always approach the turn assuming you will be doing this the way you have always done it. So nobody bothers.

Lots of other examples.

Another one that really annoys me and is mostly done by women from what i have observed. You are turning right off the row and you cut the corner of the lane going the opposite direction on the road you are turning on to. Saw one person clipping a car that was stopped one day and then proceed to try to convince all of the witnesses that she was in the right. The other car was clearly stopped and on their side of the road. With a handy solid right angle line to help with the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

How does a wheelchair user safely cross?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

None of above really. Just size up the traffic and cross. Jay walking I think they call it some places, common sense I call it. Rarely use button of ped lights too, no point in holding up traffic when you've long gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭victor8600

Option 4: ask your squad mates to lay covering fire on oncoming enemy vehicles, then spring across the road in a zigzag pattern.

Seriously though, pedestrians pay little attention to road rules in Ireland. I visited Budapest recently, and was surprised how pedestrians there would wait for the green light to cross the road even if there was absolutely no traffic coming from either direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You must always yield to:

• pedestrians already crossing at a junction;
    • pedestrians on a zebra crossing;

The italicisation is key here. Your requirement to yield does not begin until the pedestrian is either already crossing or already on the zebra section. STanding waiting on the path does not confer right of way or mandate the driver to stop. I only stop if people are on the crossing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I am always very careful, a lot of motorists have a total disregard for pedestrian crossings. The amount that drive on through a red light is dreadful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Interesting thread.

I’m a driver but love walking too. The way motorist treat traffic lights with the flashing amber is beyond dangerous.

It’s at the point now where when it switches from red to flashing amber, the foot goes down and they tear through with no consideration if there’s still a pedestrian crossing/just about to cross.

What is the rule for red -> flashing amber? Get ready to go, or go if safe to do so? It still has a green flashing pedestrian when it’s happening so I assume pedestrians still have their right of way then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

That's a variation on the best piece of advice I got when I was learning to drive myself, a fair few years ago now:

"Always assume everybody else is a f***ing eejit. But don't do anything yourself to make them think that you're one too."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

The next thread should be do you know how to use traffic lights. With the poll asking how many seconds after the light turns red can you still proceed

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Interesting thread. Note, in the North (and Britain), pedestrians have priority at junctions and crossings i.e. drivers should yield to a pedestrian, whether they have started crossing or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

There's a whole laundry list of similar questions you could level at pretty much everyone who uses the road. Pedestrians are probably the least common offenders that motorists encounter. Other cars, vans and trucks cause way more hassle on a daily basis

Do you know how to.......

• use your indicators?
    • obey traffic lights?
    • not park on the path?
    • leave room for other road users?
    • use your lights correctly?
    • use a roundabout correctly?
    • use the correct lane?
    • maintain your vehicle properly?
    • leave yellow boxes empty?
    • not tailgate in bad weather?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

1. Assume everyone else is an impatient idiot.
    2. Be as predictable as possible.
    3. Better to arrive late than take a risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Spent the last 7 years as a professional driver (of sorts) and had my eyes opened. It seems that adults are the worst. I have seen (many times) an adult walk past the P Crossing and then 5 yards later they look up and run between the cars and give daggers if you dont wave them through . I reckon they think PC's are just for kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

You forgot

"keep staring at my phone and ignore every thing else and just step out wherever I like".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

At uncontrolled junctions and crossings I'd imagine. Where there are lights, a pedestrian must obey the green/red man lights and they don't take priority over them....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭65535

Not sure about your locality but here in Cork with MANY of the Pedestrian Crossings the paint has faded away and it's only because you know that it's there that you are aware.

Furthermore - the zig zag common on UK and other Pedestrian crossings is missing here and cars/vans will park next to the crossing making it very difficult for motorists and pedestrians to see.

Another difficulty I have enountered especially with people that are not from Ireland is the hump on the road with the triangle paint - some people seem to think that these painted speed bumps are pedestrian crossings !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's fairly obvious to experienced drivers that there's a crossing ahead due to the layout & pinching, let alone the flashing orange beacons.

Pedestrians can often mistake painted raised speed ramps for crossings, again, most experienced drivers would recognise this and simply let them cross. They are in areas where drivers would be traveling slowly anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I agree 100% completely except the yellow box one

That's the problem - there is no 'layout and pinching' - I guess you're in Dublin - outside of Dublin the local authorities do not care in an ever increasing circle from their town/city hall.

In Cork many of the crossings are faded with no zig zags before and after.

And NO there should be no crossing a road by walking on speed bumps - another local authority mess.

I can spot the layouts and the obvious signs there's a crossing in every county I drive in. I agree with you though that a lot of people can't, they don't even spot the flashing orange beacons, for some even pedestrian lights are a problem.

And while, NO there should be no crossing a road by walking on speed bumps, it happens. I see this happen a good bit and I expect it and am prepared for these occasions. I'd say with advancement and improved painting some of these ramps will evolve to be pedestrian crossings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

1 and 3 won't cut it in many of the countries in Eastern Europe, you'll end up waiting for all the traffic to go past. The only approach that reliably works is to walk straight out with ne'er a look at the oncoming traffic; they've got to believe you're serious about it.

At multi-lane crossings, only when the traffic in the first lane have stopped should you look, but you absolutely have to look out for the drivers in the 2nd and later lanes who might have been blindsided by the traffic in lane 1 actually stopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Not to mention of course the motorists who see an orange or "slightly" red light as an invitation to hit the go pedal harder and fu*k all those waiting to cross the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

True, but I study the dashcam vids diligently to swot up on all the ways the cars can try to kill me. Nimble and watch out for the 2nd land are critical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu4QqwsfXFE&t=53s

Above is a Pedestrian Crossing - No zig zags - cars parked - paint faded

Above is a 'Speed Bump' to slow traffic on a residental road - people who are not familiar with Ireland use it as a Pedestrian Crossing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I trust that all the drivers here lecturing pedestrians about the angle at which to stick out their foot are from the 2% of drivers who don't break urban speed limits? It seems hugely statistically improbable, but surely they couldn't all be huge hypocrites, like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭wandererz

My biggest problem as a driver at crossings are the pram pushers.

If I had kids I would be concerned and protective of them.

In Ireland though, they simply push that yoke out there without bothering to look, judge the circumstances or anything really.

It's almost used like a weapon.

Poor flippin kids. Sends shivers down my neck even if I'm not driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

There's a lot of crossings painted on the road at corners

Seems mad cos you can't see them a lot of the time early enough and pedestrians are more careless crossing the road because of them

Speaking of using pedestrian crossings correctly

Reminds me of a lad at work who had to be taught how to use a sweeping brush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

This was me up until 2 days ago when someone mentioned the foot first, must have seen your thread😁

Putting the foot out first would remind me of my Irish dancing lessons 😐️

Seems like you're going too fast if you can't see the crossings early enough.

Had to unignore you briefly to read that

But ya I speed round all of them 100mph

If you're going to fast to see pedestrian crossings, and pedestrians crossing, then you're going too fast.

This myth. Again.

How many have you prams have you run over? How many babies in prams are killed every week, month, year, decade?

None. Because it doesn't happen in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭moonage

• Advertisement
Advertisement