Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it impossible to get rid of someone who owns their house?

Options
  • 12-12-2023 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭

I have a new neighbour who moved in early this year. The house was previously owned by the council and as you can imagine, we had a wide variety of people living there, ranging from the sound out to the horrible family who played music all night and sold drugs all day. As a community, we had an extremely hard battle to get some help from the Guards, the landlord and the council. It took 6 YEARS of almost daily logs to the anti-social department of the local council, weekly calls to the Guards complaining about the loud music and arguments, not to mention video footage of the hundreds of times people were collecting drugs from the older son from the doorstep., before they were finally evicted. Even with all this, and a landlord who was barely interested in changing the status quo because of his weekly HAP supplement, the family destroyed the house on their exit. It was purchased again and the owner put 100k to repair it and in fairness, he did a fantastic job and it looks like a new house. He sold the house on again to a local man for a tidy profit.

The issue I have is, although the new owner seems nice enough and hasnt caused any trouble, I was thinking out loud to my solicitor friend the other day about how much hassle and soul-destroying heartache is involved in getting rid of a social housing tenant, and no such consequences exist for someone who actually owns their home. The only avenue you have is the Guards or civil actions in court but if this new owner turned out to be a nightmare (unlikely, as hes working full time and keeps to himself but not impossible of course) then you are pretty much screwed and its pretty much impossible to get rid of him. Is this true?

Post edited by L1011 on

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement